Why was my warning about virus removed

Have a question/comment/concern about the board in general? Post it here

Postby TinaMartin » September 7th, 2011, 8:52 am

mnp13 wrote:Actually, FB allows people to avoid all conflict. As soon as you don't like what someone has to say, you can hide their news feed, so that they don't know that you are ignoring them.

Forums are like real life, you can't control everyone you come in contact with, and there are differing opinions, sometimes disagreements break out, and you have to deal with people you don't like. FB allows people to make little utopias of harmony, it's easier, therefore far more attractive.

However this:
Especially pretend-internet-friends that you've never met?

I strongly disagree with, dear husband... as you were once an internet-friend that I had never met. As was one of my bridesmaids, and a good number of guests at our wedding.

Can I still be a pretend internet friend even though I met you in real life first? :dance:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby DemoDick » September 7th, 2011, 9:38 am

Obviously once you meet someone in real life, or have a phone conversation with them, or do anything beyond faceless interaction on the internet, they aren't a pretend friend any more.

If what people want is a "judgement free zone" where there feelings don't get hurt then the safest thing to is to not interact with others.

They are just words on a screen. They cannot hurt you unless you let them.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby iluvk9 » September 7th, 2011, 3:21 pm

DemoDick wrote:.... or do anything beyond faceless interaction on the internet, they aren't a pretend friend any more.

Could you expand on this from your personal experience? :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby DemoDick » September 7th, 2011, 4:33 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
DemoDick wrote:.... or do anything beyond faceless interaction on the internet, they aren't a pretend friend any more.

Sure and I'll use you as an example. You and I were "pretend internet friends" or "pretend internet antagonists" or whatever you want to call it during the time that our interaction was limited to textual conversations within the confines of this board. Then one day we spoke to each other in real time on the phone. Now we are at least acquaintances. If, by some stroke of luck on your part, we ever meet face-to-face in real life, you of course will want to move our interactions forward into *actual* friendship, because I am pretty much a tractor beam of hotness and I have many leather bound books that smell of rich mahogany. I don't know if you know this, but I'm kind of a Big Deal.

Generally speaking, I am against the whole idea of "Facebook Friends". I try to make a habit of not accepting "Friend Requests" from people I have never met. My own bare minimum criteria for sending a friend request is that I have to have met the person at least once in real life. I see people on Facebook who have hundreds of friends that they have never actually interacted with in real life, and who in all likelihood they probably couldn't stand to be around. That is a symptom of the endemic falseness that plagues modern Western culture. We listen to fake music, eat fake food, elect fake leaders, worship fake ideals, and have fake relationships. Then we have the nerve to have our fake feelings hurt when one of our fake friends writes something, probably fake, that offends our fake sensibilities.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 7th, 2011, 5:46 pm

That entire post was epic, Demo.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » September 7th, 2011, 6:35 pm

DemoDick wrote: If, by some stroke of luck on your part, we ever meet face-to-face in real life, you of course will want to move our interactions forward into *actual* friendship, because I am pretty much a tractor beam of hotness and I have many leather bound books that smell of rich mahogany. I don't know if you know this, but I'm kind of a Big Deal.

I think I would SWOON if we met! :naughty: And if you brought snacks (cookies and such) I would be the President of your Fan Club. :rock: There is nothing like the smell of rich mahogany, unless it is fresh baked cookies.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » September 7th, 2011, 10:59 pm

Viruses to Demo's mahogany leather-smelling hotness.

All in one post.

That's what I like about this board. I may not post as often but it's the only board I post on.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby TheRedQueen » September 8th, 2011, 12:01 am

He forgot to mention his BIG-LONG gun!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TheRedQueen » September 8th, 2011, 1:10 am

I do friend people on FB that I haven't met...sometimes people that I never will meet...but if they don't add anything to my life, I cut them out. (sometimes they're a rescue contact in a different area, so I have a use for them, for example).

I just got unfriended by someone that I knew in real life first...and still know...and will see this weekend. I'm a bit dumbfounded...I mean, even if you don't like me...you have to see me in real life, just hide me.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TinaMartin » September 8th, 2011, 10:22 am

TheRedQueen wrote:He forgot to mention his BIG-LONG gun!

And don't forget looks great in a Kilt!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby ArtGypsy » September 8th, 2011, 11:34 am

TheRedQueen wrote:He forgot to mention his BIG-LONG gun!

Sigh............Remember When we Fondled His Long Gun??
And Me, the Initially Reluctant...... :P
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby cheekymunkee » September 21st, 2011, 7:38 pm

DemoDick wrote:
iluvk9 wrote:

Sure and I'll use you as an example. You and I were "pretend internet friends" or "pretend internet antagonists" or whatever you want to call it during the time that our interaction was limited to textual conversations within the confines of this board. Then one day we spoke to each other in real time on the phone. Now we are at least acquaintances. If, by some stroke of luck on your part, we ever meet face-to-face in real life, you of course will want to move our interactions forward into *actual* friendship, because I am pretty much a tractor beam of hotness and I have many leather bound books that smell of rich mahogany. I don't know if you know this, but I'm kind of a Big Deal.

Generally speaking, I am against the whole idea of "Facebook Friends". I try to make a habit of not accepting "Friend Requests" from people I have never met. My own bare minimum criteria for sending a friend request is that I have to have met the person at least once in real life. I see people on Facebook who have hundreds of friends that they have never actually interacted with in real life, and who in all likelihood they probably couldn't stand to be around. That is a symptom of the endemic falseness that plagues modern Western culture. We listen to fake music, eat fake food, elect fake leaders, worship fake ideals, and have fake relationships. Then we have the nerve to have our fake feelings hurt when one of our fake friends writes something, probably fake, that offends our fake sensibilities.

Demo Dick

Favorite movies and actor EVER!!

I have 20 zillion FB friends. In real life know about 50 of them, in forum life maybe another 50. I play games on FB and that is the majority of my friends list. I only interact with them in the game and that is it. I see their posts scroll by and dont care to read them unless it is game related. I dont consider them my friends in the innerwebs. I do have some very good friends that I have met online that I will never meet in real life and others that I have never even talked to on the phone ( if you havent noticed Demo I despise talking on the phone :wink: ) but that doesnt make them any less my friend than the guy who lives in the building behind me that is more like family than my own is. Even real in the flesh friends who you have known for years can turn out to be completely full of crap. It is much easier on the www but it can still be done face to face.

As to the second highlighted sentence, holy crap cakes how true is that.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Previous

Return to Questions / Problems