Puppies and grain free?

Postby Pit♥bull » August 27th, 2011, 3:14 pm

amalie79 wrote:her immune system needs to be in tip top shape so she can fight these potential infections.
Her immune system seems to be doing it's job as the immune system fighting the allergies is what causes the breakouts. This is how the drug Atopica controls allergies, Atopica suppresses the immune system resulting in no itchy bumps thus no infection from scratching.
Atopica contains the same ingredients used for human transplant patients to prevent rejection.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby furever_pit » August 27th, 2011, 5:31 pm

Have you thought about using Diatomaceous Earth for flea and tick control? You should be able to get it at the feed store and it's a great alternative to the chemical stuff.

It sucks you are already having such issues with the new pup. I hope you can get it figured out. I know that with our allergy clients in FL it was usually a difficult road at first but once we/they figured out what the triggers were and started working a system that things evened out and just became part of life. If you decide to do the LID route, you can get LID treats to go along with it.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » August 28th, 2011, 2:49 am

Pit♥bull wrote:
amalie79 wrote:her immune system needs to be in tip top shape so she can fight these potential infections.
Her immune system seems to be doing it's job as the immune system fighting the allergies is what causes the breakouts. This is how the drug Atopica controls allergies, Atopica suppresses the immune system resulting in no itchy bumps thus no infection from scratching.
Atopica contains the same ingredients used for human transplant patients to prevent rejection.

I'm gonna "like" this, two thumbs up!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » August 28th, 2011, 3:08 am

also wanted to add, location of breakouts can be a bit, arbitrary; Oscar used to get pustules on his belly, for a while it was all over, then in a sort of saddle pattern on his back, for the last couple of years he's had a small bare spot on his tail that seems to be prone to pustules, and at some point in that, he started feet licking, which he didn't do originally. I found that the location of the breakouts tended to migrate, as has what does and doesn't work. That said, there are locations that can indicate cause of the allergen.

If she does have a flea allergy, and it is bad, IMO the safest bet is to just do the flea meds. I don't like them either but I will be getting some when I have the funds; spring to fall here is good flea season and, for us, flea allergy = hives that refuse to go away + Os trying to rub himself on everything, including pavement :(

If money is an issue, I would go first with what you KNOW will work and then if you have extra go for what "might" help. Allergy dogs are not cheap.

Things to keep in mind, took me a while to grasp them :

- there is not "will" or "won't" work, no matter what anyone says; each individual dog has different allergies and sensitivities, so it is what you find works for the individual
- there is NO CURE. I always wanted to "fix" the allergies, and you just don't; you control, manage or mask the symptoms, but the allergies never go away - as my vet says "putting out fires"

If she is itchy, Dermapet has a new steroidal, antifungal, antibacterial shampoo; I really think this is one of the best things they've come up with for allergy dogs. But of course, since they figured out how to put steroids in a shampoo, it isn't cheap! And only available at the vet, I think... at least it is here.

I don't want to sound negative or harsh, just realistic :) From my 9 years of experience with my allergy dog.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » August 28th, 2011, 9:13 am

Mali - I don't think you are harsh at all. You give a very realistic view of owning an allergy dog. And it is important to remember they are all different. What one responds to, another may not. I even found that Trouble would sometime responds to something and sometimes not.

I think the two things that made the biggest difference for us was food and baths. But then again, I was diligent about the little things - natural treats, dye free fragrance free detergents, glass bowls, etc.

We actually had less allergy attacks after the chemo - I have no idea why. Those last two years, were the least reactive as far as allergies were concerned.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amalie79 » August 28th, 2011, 10:18 am

No-- not harsh at all!! it's why I post here. Everyone brings a lot of knowledge and experience to the table, and the more I know, the better I can do for my pups. :)

(BTW-- I wrote a response yesterday that apparently didn't take, so I apologize if I miss anything...)

Bob makes a good point-- it is an overactive immune system already. But she has to battle the infections that I imagine she'll get regardless-- as you guys have all pointed out there's no cure. Just gotta manage as best we can.

I have considered DE for fleas-- as well as the boric acid derivative in Fleabusters. I'll probably use it on my yard, but as Mali was saying, if she's this allergic to fleas, I need to do whatever works. Different products affect them differently. My allergy cat can't use Frontline because her fur falls out in clumps. But she does fine with Advantage. :| I only ever dose everyone when I'm going to be home and awake for a good 4-6 hours in case anything happens. I don't like to put it on them before I leave for work or go to bed.

As for the UTIs, I've started using cranberry with Robin and her problems. I'm ordering Berry Balance this weekend to switch to, but I do use the human stuff, too. I may put Luna on a 3 times a week maintenance. We'll see. It also has Vit C and I don't want to overacidify her urine, either.

She's so young and already so many problems. But I have a feeling that her previous "owners" weren't staying on top of these issues and so we're kind of starting from a deficit, if you know what I mean. I think once we get just a few seconds of "normal" we can work on maintenance and keeping up with anything that changes in her diet and environment. It'll be a battle all the time, I know. But we're having to deal with so much right now that it's a bit overwhelming.

As for food, I had decided to stick with the Cal Nat Adult (it's an ALS food) since it's limited in ingredients and we can get her other problems under control without changing too much at once. But now I've worked myself into a fit over the calcium/phosphorus in this food (the ratio is 1.45:1). It's not awful, but I think maybe it is a bit too high. We have no idea how big she'll be and I feel like I need to err on the side of caution. Might change to a puppy food for a few more months to put my mind at ease.

I was never going to get a puppy again. Remedial behavioral issues in adult dogs? I'll take it. Trying to get it right the first time around? This is hard. :(
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby amalie79 » August 28th, 2011, 10:22 am

And thank you all for all the great advice!!!

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » August 29th, 2011, 9:26 am

I don't use flea stuff on my dogs at all...unless there is an outbreak, which hasn't happened in years. Since nothing I use seems to keep ticks off (my main concern), I just don't bother with anything. That works for me personally.

As for cranberry...I use it for Puzzle, since she's a walking vet bill otherwise...she has skin allergies, as well as repeated urinary problems. I just buy cranberry pills at Wal-mart, and stick them in her food bowl. Cheap and easy. ;)

I have found for really irritated skin problems...the Cloud Star Buddy Boo Boo does wonders for clearing up raw spots on her belly and neck. I just rub some on the really red irritated or open spots from scratching...and they clear up by the next day. It's gentle and doesn't give her anymore issues. And it absorbs quickly, so there's nothing for her to lick off or rub off onto the furniture.

She and Fig don't wear collars around the house (the only dog that wears a collar full-time is old man Ripley)...but when they do, I only use satin lined ones or soft hemp ones. I found that for Puzzle, a martingale that is lined works well...because while she's wearing it, it hangs loose, not tight around her tender neck skin but when leashed, it tightens up so it doesn't come loose.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Pit♥bull » August 29th, 2011, 9:49 am

Hey Erin . . . . You may want to stock up as it looks like Cloud Star has discontinued the 'Buddy Boo Boo'
We were going to pick some up and give it a try. :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amalie79 » August 29th, 2011, 10:01 am

I found that for Puzzle, a martingale that is lined works well...because while she's wearing it, it hangs loose, not tight around her tender neck skin but when leashed, it tightens up so it doesn't come loose.

Oooh! Good idea!! I'll have to find Robin's satin-lined martingale. Since I switched to walking with harnesses, I don't use it much anymore. Luna has the most loose skin I have ever seen around her neck. I thought Robin had a lot of puppy skin, but this is crazy. It all bunches up at her throat and get's irritated by the collar. As she gets a little bigger, I'll get one just for her. Like I said, we have zero idea how big she'll be, but the vet says at least over 50lbs. I can't afford to keep buying collars as she grows-- certainly not at the rate she's going!!

We usually use Halo's Cloud Nine balm, and it's a little greasy and goopy, but works. I haven't been able to find the Cloud Star version locally, but I'm heading up to a different local food store a couple of towns away at lunch, so I'll check them. (They, of course, are the only place around that carries the one food my picky, nibbler, allergy cat will eat consistently and in quantity :rolleyes2: and I ran out of it before I could order more)

I had started using cranberry caps with vit c from Walmart with Robin, but it was too late for her UTI. There's been a lot of research showing that the supplements we buy vary wildly in potency, effectiveness, and in accordance with their labeling. I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Berry Balance, and if it keeps Robin off the Rx food, then I'll pay. She needs the slight acidifier; Luna probably just needs the cranberry, so I may try something from the health food store for her.

As for fleas, Luna and Robin were wrestling in the dirt in our backyard yesterday, and when Luna walked over to me, she had a live flea crawling over her back. Our neighbors are great, but I don't think they're as diligent in dog care as we are. They're young, have a new baby, and now an accidental litter between their boxer and St. Bernard (also have a Pom), so I have a feeling flea preventative is one of the things that's fallen by the wayside recently. We also have a feral cat and skunk problem in the 'hood. Lots of opportunities for fleas. And while her butt-bites might be random, it might also be from sitting on fleas in the yard. Time to hit the farmers' coop for some DE, I guess (not pool grade-- food grade. :) ).

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » August 30th, 2011, 2:56 am

whats this cloud star stuff? link?

Amalie - look for supplements with a guaranteed analysis, helps maintain consistency
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Pit♥bull » August 30th, 2011, 3:29 am

Malli wrote:whats this cloud star stuff? link?
http://cloudstar.com/ but they seem to have discontinued the 'Buddy Boo Boo' You can Google 'Buddy Boo Boo' and still find some sites that have it in stock though.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » August 30th, 2011, 7:58 am

Pit♥bull wrote:
http://cloudstar.com/ but they seem to have discontinued the 'Buddy Boo Boo' You can Google 'Buddy Boo Boo' and still find some sites that have it in stock though.

*gasp*

They've discontinued this??? :shock: :sad2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » August 30th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Pit♥bull wrote:

ty :)
E-I-E-I-O!

Previous

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies