13th Annual DSO - Descent into Hell - August 20-21, 2011

IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, NE, ND, OH, SD, WI

Postby iluvk9 » August 18th, 2011, 6:33 am

I know you mentioned you drive a van, but what type holds all those crates??
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » August 18th, 2011, 8:08 am

Oh, we have a Dodge Sprinter van...6' tall on the inside, 250" wheelbase.

I convinced John it was for his wheelchair lift (the old conversion van had to have the floor lowered, so the lift would fit...made the floor VERY hot to the touch)...but it was really for crates. I don't have to duck!

We have seven crates (small-large) in there at all times...for this trip, we've included two vari-kennels for Michelle and Demo to use...and for our dogs to use on the trip up there...plus John can use them to put his feet up for the ride. :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » August 18th, 2011, 8:24 am

It makes a fantastic travelling closet for photo shoots as well!!

Erin, I managed to fit two crates into my car, so if you want to take one of the vari kennels out, we'll be ok. But having an extra would be good too, so if it's all packed we'll still use it!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » August 18th, 2011, 8:33 am

Michelle...they're both packed, outfitted with beds/waterbowls/etc...and they'll really help John on the trip (not to mention give extra dogs places to ride). So we're good!

Extra crates are always good! lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 18th, 2011, 6:19 pm

Janine is going with two dogs this year, and her son is on crutches from a football injury. If you guys see Remi (little brindle girl) acting up, could you help her? She's not sure how she'll do but she wants to take her. And can you guys also make sure she's clued in for dinner details on Saturday? I know she's looking forward to seeing you guys!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby DemoDick » August 22nd, 2011, 4:00 pm

Heading home now. We had a blast. It was nice to see everyone again. Allie (ParisStreetPitCrew) made it out on Sunday as I was running around doing something. She asked if she was parked okay and I said "Yeah". I tried to walk away and she said my name with a questioning tone and I thought "Who the smurf is this?" because I didn't recognize her. I'm surprised she goes outside when it's windy. She's tiny!

This year's competition was set up perfectly. The Capital Cities crew is outstanding. Beginner and Intermediate were tough, but Advanced was the most difficult combination of scenarios I have ever seen. You'll have to wait for pictures.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby TheRedQueen » August 23rd, 2011, 8:08 am

Awesome, awesome trial this year! OMG...what fun!

I feel bad since Allie showed up right as I was starting to work dogs in practice, and didn't really have time to talk...sorry Allie!

HUGE brags this year!

John and Sawyer-6th in beginners obed only

The Wiener and me-3rd in beginners obed only

Score and me-5th in intermediate obed only

Inara and me........1st in intermediate obed only!!!!

More later...after I drink gallons of caffeine. Got home at 11 pm...damn puppy woke me up at 1am, John woke me up at 5 am and then the puppy again at 7am.

TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » August 23rd, 2011, 2:33 pm

We had a great time, as always. Some funky stuff, but such is life when you trial dogs!

Ruby and Riggs took 4th and 5th in Beginner, and 3rd and 4th in Intermediate.

Erin and Inara had an impeccable run in Intermediate. Picture perfect; including the judge petting Inara during the "meet and greet" at the end.

I was SO proud of Riggs, he didn't bite anyone he wasn't supposed to, which is a first for us at the DSO! lol Including when the judge put on a bite sleevefor the meet and greet (I wanted to bite him for that!), and then actually bent forward over him to try and draw a bite. He crouched down and thought about it, but that was all. As we were heeling off the field, I could tell he was about done with all of the "good behavior" so before he could do something stupid to ruin our perfect run, I picked him up and carried him off the field! :)

Ruby decided to do a tour of the field during Intermediate... I actually had to go get her and bring her back by the collar.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » August 23rd, 2011, 10:50 pm

We traveled to St. John's, Michigan this past weekend to attend our second DSO...and boy did we have fun! The DSO is a protection dog trial, that they have opened up to non-protection dogs...for obedience only. We go to this trial, because of the physical and mental challenges for humans as well as the canines. The field is about 2 acres, fenced in...with multiple obstacles around the edges, and with donkeys, goats and horses in the fields adjacent...lots of distractions.

We arrived at the site on Friday, to see a HUGE obstacle, covered with a tarp, in the middle of the trial field. This made me VERY happy...I was hoping for a physical challenge this year. We didn't get to see what it was until Saturday morning. When uncovered, I just stared in amazement. It was a tall platform...only accessible by a tall ramp (like one side of an agility A-frame)...with a long black tunnel slide on the other side. I was anxious to see what we'd have to do with this!

The theme for this year's DSO was "Descent into Hell". Hell turned out to be about BSL (Breed Specific Legislation).

To start with, in beginners level (on-leash)...we had to walk into the field and meet a woman with a coat for our dogs. PETA has taken over, and we have to "disguise" our dogs...and pretend that they're golden retrievers. We are aso handed a "license" for our golden retriever. So we put the coat on the dogs (I had to wrap it twice and use a ponytail holder to make it small enough to fit The Wiener)...and we had to heel down the fence line to a chain link pen. We had to stop, get the dog to sit while we opened the pen door. We had to put the dog inside the pen and have them hold a sit-stay while we closed the door (harder than I figured). Then two decoys come out of their tent and harass you about your golden retriever. They take your"license" and say that the real ones won't burn...they set your paper aflame, and since it's flash paper, it flames up and floats away. The dog has to hold a sit stay this entire time. They start arguing that the dog is or isn't a golden retriever. A NRA member with a gun comes up to help you...they tell you to get your dog out of the pen, take the disguise off and heel quickly to the ramp on the obstacle. You and your dog have to climb up the ramp and get to the top of the obstacle. Another decoy is a the top, with a rifle...defending you and helping you. We then have to take the dog and go down the slide. (The Wiener just leaped into the tunnel and went down by himself...looking back at me the entire time..."are you coming too?") At the bottom of the slide, we had to get the dog to sit, and then we had to heel to meet the judges for a meet n' greet. After that, we were done with the obedience only portion (protection dogs went on to bitework scenarios).

The intermediate level had the same basic things, but it was off-leash, and the decoys moved around more and were more aggresive (one stared into the pen at the dogs while they did the sit-stay.

TheRedQueen

Postby DemoDick » August 25th, 2011, 9:40 am

mnp13 wrote:We had a great time, as always. Some funky stuff, but such is life when you trial dogs!

Ruby and Riggs took 4th and 5th in Beginner, and 3rd and 4th in Intermediate.

Erin and Inara had an impeccable run in Intermediate. Picture perfect; including the judge petting Inara during the "meet and greet" at the end.

I was SO proud of Riggs, he didn't bite anyone he wasn't supposed to, which is a first for us at the DSO! lol Including when the judge put on a bite sleevefor the meet and greet (I wanted to bite him for that!), and then actually bent forward over him to try and draw a bite. He crouched down and thought about it, but that was all. As we were heeling off the field, I could tell he was about done with all of the "good behavior" so before he could do something stupid to ruin our perfect run, I picked him up and carried him off the field! :)

Ruby decided to do a tour of the field during Intermediate... I actually had to go get her and bring her back by the collar.

Michelle did an outstanding job navigating the various sources of (considerable) stress this year and I am very proud of her for the way she took everything in stride. The pictures I have seen so far are excellent, but pressing the button on the camera at just the right moment is only the beginning. She took close to 8,000 pictures (that's not a type, she actually tool eight THOUSAND) over the course of the weekend and now has to find time to sit down and edit them all.

Erin and John did very well and it was good seeing them again. I hope your burn is healing nicely, Erin. :)

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Pit♥bull » August 25th, 2011, 10:11 am

DemoDick wrote:I'm surprised she goes outside when it's windy. She's tiny!

You sure have a way with words Demo. :lmao:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby madremissy » August 25th, 2011, 10:39 am

I am proud of all of you. Kinzyl would have pulled a Ruby and been more interested in running around than anything else. I am sure the moment someone came over with the gun she would have blew the sit and stay portion.

I really wish I could do this one year. Even just to come and watch. :)
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Hundilein » August 25th, 2011, 9:43 pm

madremissy wrote:I really wish I could do this one year. Even just to come and watch. :)

Next year, Missy. You and I are taking a road trip. Kinzyl is coming along, so is Sammy. I hate that I missed it this year.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » August 25th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Hundilein wrote:
madremissy wrote:I really wish I could do this one year. Even just to come and watch. :)

Next year, Missy. You and I are taking a road trip. Kinzyl is coming along, so is Sammy. I hate that I missed it this year.

Pray I get a job before now and then and I can save up for it. :) I would love to go.

Oh, and are you going to come train your children so that you enter them? :wink:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby furever_pit » August 26th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Sounds great!
I love that hell is BSL.
It's a shame I was on the road for work this year, I was hoping to make it.
Maybe the stars will align next year.

Oh, and I can't wait for pics! :D
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 1st, 2011, 12:11 pm

You can view the full galleries for Beginner and Intermediate at:

https://vando.imagequix.com/proof.html? ... -6720-0016

You will need to enter your email address, but please don't worry about spam, I'm the only person who has any access to it. I will only use it to notify you of updates to the galleries.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » September 1st, 2011, 2:22 pm

Nice pics.
I think the ones of the dogs coming out of the slide tunnel are my favorite.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby pocketpit » September 4th, 2011, 5:35 pm

I love the flying weiner coming out of the tunnel! Too funny. Riggs and Conner look great as usual.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 4th, 2011, 8:01 pm

pocketpit wrote:I love the flying weiner coming out of the tunnel! Too funny.

Isn't he just FULL of Awesome? 8) He went right up the ramp, and down the tunnel without me!

TheRedQueen

Previous

Return to Middle West