East Coast Earthquake

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby iluvk9 » August 23rd, 2011, 2:20 pm

Did you feel it? Possibly 5.8 in Virginia.

On Long Island, I felt my couch vibrating. I thought I was just dizzy for a moment.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » August 23rd, 2011, 2:33 pm

Didn't feel it in my office, but people were talking about it, so it was felt in other parts of the hospital.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Pit♥bull » August 23rd, 2011, 3:36 pm

Y'all best buckle down for the storm http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tr ... 01109.html
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » August 23rd, 2011, 7:39 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I thought I was just dizzy for a moment.

For a moment? :lmao: :lmao:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Pit♥bull » August 23rd, 2011, 7:50 pm

hugapitbull wrote:
iluvk9 wrote:I thought I was just dizzy for a moment.

For a moment? :lmao: :lmao:
Hey.... That's my job >(
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » August 23rd, 2011, 9:22 pm

It scared the crap out of John...rattled the house. I didn't feel it...I was in the van driving at the time.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TheRedQueen » August 23rd, 2011, 9:29 pm

"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby SLS61185 » August 24th, 2011, 3:38 am

The epicenter was about 15 miles from my house. We felt it - and bad. I was in a meeting at work and we didn't know what was going on for the first 5-10 seconds until we finally realized it. Most of the people that were driving didn't feel it. Mike was at home with Patch. The kitchen table moved a good 2-3 inches... and he said Patch was running around barking and didn't know what to do. Our house is okay. But Mike said one guy he works with, lives 10 minutes from the epicenter and he had to call out of work for the night because alot of the windows in his house shattered.

For the first 20-30 minutes after it happened you couldn't make cell to cell calls or anything. They said it was because there were too many people making calls and trying to call 911 that no one could get through.

We've had 3-4 aftershocks since then and we haven't 'felt' them but Patch has noticed them everytime.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » August 24th, 2011, 6:41 am

Pit♥bull wrote:
hugapitbull wrote:For a moment? :lmao: :lmao:
Hey.... That's my job >(

Very nice comedy team you two have going there. :neener:

SLS61185 wrote:The epicenter was about 15 miles from my house.

:shock: YIKES!!!

I think I found humor in people wondering if a tsunami was going to follow....uh....epicenter was in VA, and if I am correct, VA isn't normally under the ocean.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby homebrwd » August 24th, 2011, 6:43 am

I felt it on the sixth floor of my building. Same deal though, had no idea what was going on at first, thought it was from the construction going on in our building.
homebrwd
Just Whelped

Postby SLS61185 » August 24th, 2011, 1:46 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I think I found humor in people wondering if a tsunami was going to follow....uh....epicenter was in VA, and if I am correct, VA isn't normally under the ocean.

No, not even close.

They are now saying that one of the monuments (I think the Washington) is damaged and is closed indefinitely until the repairs can be made. Plus a church, too.
Stac

SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » August 25th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Yup, the Washington Monument is closed until further notice.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » August 25th, 2011, 2:05 pm

mnp13 wrote:Yup, the Washington Monument is closed until further notice.

And the Washington National Cathedral..where they were going to be doing a ceremony for the Martin Luther King Jr. memorial this weekend (which may not be happening anyway, due to Irene). A bunch of the spires and stuff fell off and broke.

A small town in VA...Culpepper, VA has a bunch of historic buildings that are condemned now...due to the earthquake. It could be much worse, but it is bad in a few spots around. Luckily no injuries or anything.

TheRedQueen

Postby SLS61185 » August 26th, 2011, 2:33 am

TheRedQueen wrote:A small town in VA...Culpepper, VA has a bunch of historic buildings that are condemned now...due to the earthquake. It could be much worse, but it is bad in a few spots around. Luckily no injuries or anything.

Yeah, Main St. has been closed since the earthquake (since that's where all the damage happened) because they don't want tractor trailers going by and causing more damage.

Also, Germanna (one of the colleges around here - like 15 minutes from me) is either closed for a couple of weeks, if not the rest of the semester, because one of the stairwells took a lot of damage and the outside wall is cracked really bad.... Plus the second floor is bowed in and is not safe. They don't know how long it's going to take to fix. They just got done building a four story parking garage for the students (they all had to pay an extra $100 per credit for it!) and they're saying it may be damaged too...
Stac

SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Off-Topic