Cataracts in young dog: experiences?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » August 13th, 2011, 8:37 am

We've discovered that Stone (foster pit) has limited vision...and last night in the light, we could see cataracts. He's not even a year old yet...so I'm guessing they're juvenile cataracts. I've contacted the rescue, because his litter was adopted out totally by the rescue...so some others may have problems too.

Anyone have experiences, advice, stories to share?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TheRedQueen » August 13th, 2011, 8:38 am

apparently one of his sisters was just diagnosed with juvenile cataracts.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » August 13th, 2011, 1:23 pm

We have a young dog at work with some vision (plus some other mental and slight physical disabilities) problems, but I have no experience that specific to juvenile cataracts.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » August 13th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Wow that's awful...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » November 15th, 2011, 10:08 pm

It's been a comedy of errors...but Stone is going in for surgery in the morning! Send some good thoughts his way please!

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » November 16th, 2011, 3:31 am

good thoughts!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Tubular Toby » November 16th, 2011, 11:28 am

I'm rooting for him!
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » November 16th, 2011, 10:04 pm

Stone came through the surgery well...he's recovering tonight, doing fine! He CAN SEE!!!!!

More details later!

TheRedQueen

Postby Tubular Toby » November 16th, 2011, 10:22 pm

:heartbeat: So happy for him! And kudos to you for going through all of this so that he may have a better life!
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » November 17th, 2011, 3:29 am

great news! :)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 17th, 2011, 9:22 am

That's so exciting!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » November 17th, 2011, 10:01 pm

He's recovering well, and passed his first recheck with flying colors

his left eye will be farsighted...they couldn't put an artificial lens in that one because of damage to the eye...but the right eye has a new lens. He has little inflammation, and can still see today (they said sometimes the eyes swell and vision blurred).

It's so cute to see him actually walk around the house without running into stuff...

TheRedQueen

Return to Nutrition & Health