Ruby ate a corn cob

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby BigDogBuford » July 29th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Corn cobs don't typically get digested. We've had dogs need to have them taken out years later....
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby HappyPuppy » July 29th, 2011, 2:47 pm

Great....

This thing was round with flat sides (like a cylinder but approx the size of a ping pong ball) and was tootsie roll colored and sort of smelled like meat... [I did give her 2 pieces of dried beef lung yesterday or the day before < the smell made me think of that but the shape and little bumps on the outside were reminiscint of a cross section of corn cob.... round vs a flat piece of beef lung]
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 29th, 2011, 3:27 pm

It could be...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » July 29th, 2011, 8:37 pm

I think it is possible that its corn cob.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » July 29th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Well, I trust all the opinions of the people who said it could be the corn. :)

I am just surprised Ruby hasn't had some major stomach problems with it IN there for so long. :| It couldn't have gone past the stomach through the pyloric valve, because it wouldn't have been able to reverese it's path. :confused:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyPuppy » July 31st, 2011, 12:09 am

We got pix.....it's a freakin' corn cob (piece)!) Will upload in the morning.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » July 31st, 2011, 12:58 pm

We work with a rescue that pulls dogs from shelters, they pulled an Australian shepherd who was being treated for parvo, if I remember correctly the dog had been I'll for several weeks. We took some xrays and decided to go in surgically and found a chunk of corn cob in the intestine, it was black and obviously was having issues moving through the intestine. So it very well could be the same corn cob.

We also had a dog that ate a peach pit and a year later had to have surgery because he had an obstruction. The owners were sure it was the same pit.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pocketpit » July 31st, 2011, 4:24 pm

I had a dog with a toy that stayed in his stomach for god only knows how long. I thought I'd thrown the toy away but apparently not. When he went to the vet for an unrelated matter and was given his pre-med, up came a large, petrified (as in petrified tree type petrified) squeaky frog. So glad it stayed in the stomach becuase that would not have passed! But it's scary to think that it can sit in there for so long so I would not be suprised that the corn cob has survived as well.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 31st, 2011, 4:36 pm

pocketpit wrote: I thought I'd thrown the toy away but apparently not.
That just cracked me up. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amalie79 » August 1st, 2011, 10:02 am

Corn cobs are no joke-- I've heard reports of them staying in the stomach for months and years, so I'll add this one to the list!

Robin swallowed one last summer, but horked it back up within 24 hours; if it was still MIA after that, I'd have taken her in to the vet.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » August 1st, 2011, 8:18 pm

Someone tell me this is NOT what it looks like!!!

^ this is how it looked (after drying a day or two) - it was initially very round and solidly covered in hairs so you couldn't see the texture that is showing up now

^ this is corn if I have ever seen it.

We had a panic and were about to rush her in for x-rays but since 'some' did initally come out the other end and since she has NEVER ever appeared to have an 'off' or sick day, we will likely continue to wait and watch... I feel so irresponsible to have allowed her to eat that in the first place....... Bad mommy!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » August 1st, 2011, 8:56 pm

That's totally a corn cob. I think the salt and butter covered cobs are practically irresistible to most dogs.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » August 1st, 2011, 10:39 pm

Yup, corn cob. (and really gross!)

You could always give her a couple doses of hydrogen peroxide after a nice big meal - that will clear everything out of her stomach and you'll probably be more comfortable that it's all gone.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » August 2nd, 2011, 2:39 am

thats what it looks like!
since 2007 is a long time, but I'm not overly surprised, to be honest.

At least she's healthy! Save your guilt for when you actually make her sick ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health