what to do with the dog. . .

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Malli » July 27th, 2011, 3:13 am

so, very excited to be going on vacation! Though it is a long way off... (dec)

I don't have the most difficult dog in the world, but his allergies and his bad attitude with some dogs don't make him all that typical, either.

I know 3 people that I'd trust handling him and with the medical knowledge he could use, 2 are moving well before my vacation, and out of province, the 3rd is going to have 3 cats in her house at that time, plus has 2 male dogs, one of which is not terrible but not great with other dogs.

We are flying to mexico so I can't see it being an option to take him

His reactions to *some* dogs that happen *rarely* are so strong that I'd be skeptical about even having your average petsitter care for him - even Wes has had trouble holding him back - mind you we rarely use his prong collar and this would add some power steering.

I have a couple of kennels I've looked at as options but I'm just not sure how he would fare in a kennel for 10 days - longest he's stayed in one was 1) my old work, where he'd been 1000 times before, just not stayed overnight, and 2) it was only 2 nights. I feel like an extended stay like that is a lot for a 10 yr old dog to adjust to :neutral:
At the one kennel they dog have the extra "cuddle time" option, but I'm not sure that that would help much...

Plus, there is the ever-present shallow pocket, I may be going on vacation but I still have limited resources ...

Oy.

Ideas ? :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » July 27th, 2011, 3:18 am

I've considered having my friend stay here(who I trust to do what I tell her with him), but she is very new to dogs - just got her first puppy a couple months ago - not sure if it would be overwhelming for her to deal with him
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » July 27th, 2011, 6:16 am

Mali - I so know how you feel. We were terribly apprehensive leaving Duke for our recent trip. You know he isn't the most well adjusted dog either, and definitely has some attitude going on at times. I think you are on the right track and planning well ahead is a great thing.

We don't have the option of having someone stay with Duke. There is no one close that I would trust to take on that challenge. While he is fine 99% of the time, I wouldn't want friends or family to have to deal with the demon dog that emerges that 1% of the time. So we kenneled him. The first time he had been kenneled since Trouble's been gone. I am fortunate that our vet has a boarding facility onsite. I am assured they will provide professional care and are trained to take on the task of anything from allergies to attitude. Yes it costs a little more, but the peace of mind for 10 days is worth it.

Duke did great. The staff commented on what a good dog he was and how much better adjusted he was than past stays.

You will find the perfect solution and the peace of mind to go and enjoy your trip. He will be fine.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » July 27th, 2011, 7:11 am

I know it is difficult to go on vacation when you are a responsible and "soft" dog owner. :wink:

What I realized was the priority to me was safety of my dogs. I WANTED to believe they would be loved, cuddled and not feel abandoned when I went on a week long trip, but those were my emotions.

Now, remember, I have my son and DIL living in an apt. attached to my home, so wouldn't it seem logical that they could take care of the dogs? Not so much.... :)

Here are some things I have learned:

1) Environmental safety of my dogs is important. I chose a kennel where the kennels are inside/outside private spaces, 24 hrs w/doggie door. They are up to fire codes with sprinklers. They have shaded overhangs. Climate controlled inside. Kennels are double fenced, so no touching of noses with the dog next to them. There are secure, tall fences everywhere.

2) I trust the owners, who also live on premise. Don Sterling trained NY police dogs. Only a few of his staff (including his wife) handle the dogs when arriving and leaving. This was important with Lenny, who was biting when I first got him. And Truman can be VERY intimidating with his "Rottie talking/growling" and size.

3) Older dogs DO WELL in kennels. Bearman, was 10 when he started going to the kennel. Lenny was 11. Harleybird is now 10.5. A few kennels would not take an older dog. Quail Run Kennel had no problems with it.

4) Dogs live in the moment and don't realize you are gone "10 days". The first time I picked Harley up, (and remember, he is attached to my hip), I got on my knees to greet him and he walked right past me.

5) As for Oscar possibly being snarky with others, remember when Lenny went in? I told Don that he is a biter and he said he would be the only one to handle him. When I got back he said he needed to talk to me. Now, he is not a "cuddly guy"...this is his BUSINESS and he doesn't "love" all the guests. That is when he told me that he has never met a dog with a bigger heart. I still cry when I remember that. Good kennel people handle all dogs well.

6) My kennel is very aware of Harley's stomach problems. I cancelled last years vacation (which meant 4 dogs for them) because he was going through a horrible spell. This year, I explained his condition, the meds they will give him, and what to expect symptom wise. They gave ME the confidence that everything will be fine while he is there for a week.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 27th, 2011, 10:37 am

Call around and interview pet-sitters. There are some that got into pet-sitting because "they just love animals" but don't have a lot of practical experience. And then there are some like me, that have dealt with difficult animals for years, worked in vet clinics and know how to handle issues, who are trainers that can deal with an unruly dog, etc.

If you think he'd be happiest in his home, surrounded by his stuff...find a good sitter...they are out there. Check sittercity.com and care.com for easy to find listings, and to post your own listing...that's how I find clients.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amalie79 » July 27th, 2011, 10:51 am

We just went on our first vacation in years because we never wanted to leave Simon...

I looked around for a while and found a kennel that I trusted; the owner lives on the premises and uses the same trainer we do. She gives dogs individual attention and time out, instead of just letting everyone out together for play time. The kennels were big and had indoor/outdoor space, and a maximum security prison-worthy fence. She was also willing to work with me and Robin's unknown dog issues (I've only ever slowly intro'd her, so I didn't know if she'd fence-fight); the owner put her in an end-kennel with River next door and said that if seeing the other dogs was a problem, she'd lock the rest of them inside for Robin's outdoor time, and vice-versa. It was a little pricey, but not too much so considering the facility. I started saving the money I make proctoring tests one Saturday a month or so.

Good luck-- I know how hard it is to leave a problem child behind, but you deserve a vacation!
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby AllAmericanPUP » July 27th, 2011, 12:22 pm

The one and only time i tried boarding Eli in a kennel the lady claimed he tried to kill her when she took him out to potty and had me come pick him up not even 30 minutes after i dropped him off(yet she miraculously didn't have a single scratch on her and was able to get him back into his kennel) So when i go anywhere Eli either comes with me or one of the select family members I trust watch him.

I have had great success boarding my other dogs however, i just don't trust kennels with Eli.
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby Malli » July 27th, 2011, 12:47 pm

I'm more concerned that he would just "shut down" in a kennel. Mind you, his SA might come out at home if the petsitter was out a lot from our place as well and THAT would not be pretty!
A lot of this stems from a prior job of mine where I saw some not-so-stellar employees doing some not-so-stellar stuff - now, these weren't your typical people of that workplace, but it was kind of like "if there are people like that there..."

And my manager who knows Os and is pit bull savvy offered to come take him out if he stays at the one kennel...
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » July 27th, 2011, 2:32 pm

When we went away a few years ago, we had a friend stay at our house. We were very worried about how the boys would behave... but it was Ruby that wouldn't let her near the crate. Both boys were like "HI! We know you! Take us out!!!" Ruby started growling - though after she watched both boys go out while she sat there she got the picture and stopped it.

You never know how they will do with it until you try.

There is a kennel near our house that takes all of the dogs from the local Schutzhund club. They do not touch or interact with the dogs in any way if they are told not to. The dogs go outside, and they shut the door and clean inside, then they do the reverse to clean the outdoor part of the run.

You do not have to have your dog handled if they have indoor outdoor kennels, they will just have to work around it. As they should.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » July 27th, 2011, 4:25 pm

mnp13 wrote:You do not have to have your dog handled if they have indoor outdoor kennels, they will just have to work around it. As they should.

Agreed. :dance:

My kennel gives baths to those who are there 5 days or longer. Truman never gets one because he hates water and gets very snarky.

It was through my kennel that I also learned about his aggressiveness towards any hand (or body part) that may come near him if he is eating. Apparently, he does not like to be disturbed at all. :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 27th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Malli wrote:I'm more concerned that he would just "shut down" in a kennel. Mind you, his SA might come out at home if the petsitter was out a lot from our place as well and THAT would not be pretty!
A lot of this stems from a prior job of mine where I saw some not-so-stellar employees doing some not-so-stellar stuff - now, these weren't your typical people of that workplace, but it was kind of like "if there are people like that there..."

And my manager who knows Os and is pit bull savvy offered to come take him out if he stays at the one kennel...

I've worked at some sketchy kennels too...so always worry about what they tell you compared to what *really* happens.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » July 28th, 2011, 2:43 am

well or what is supposed to happen vs. what one or two employees do (i.e. letting multiple dogs out together or feeding them all sorts of random crap including people food). The protocols and schedules and such were set up properly, but the one or two people just pretty much did what they wanted.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » July 28th, 2011, 5:59 am

And that is why I trust my kennel. Owner operated, owner lives on premise and I when I did my initial walk-thru to see the place, it was the wife (owner) who showed me around and answered all my questions.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » July 28th, 2011, 6:13 am

You have plenty of time before your trip. Make your best choice based on a visit, what you observe, and what they tell you and then schedule him in for an overnight visit. You will be able to tell when you pick him up if he's happy there.

I've had to look for a kennel a few times. I always visit, ask for a walk through, and chat with the staff. I've scratched off more than a few from the list just based on observation without an overnight visit. If you know what you are looking for, you will know when you find it. (And after you look at a few, you will know) After that it is just a matter of knowing the dog will be happy and well kept there.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Malli » July 29th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Well, my parents said they'd take him. They do live a little while away(1/2 hr drive, 1/2 hr ferry ride), and are dog people but not the most dog savvy... but he lets their female (biotch) get what she wants and they have already spent a bunch of time together.
He has been to visit with me more times then I can remember/count, and they have a fully fenced yard, and in a country setting (not that he'll be outside a ton in dec!)
so this is better then the kennel an a definite option :)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » July 29th, 2011, 9:38 pm

I have a feeling you would feel much more comfortable if Oscar was with your parents.

Do what I do, when my kids watch Bo and the dogs are in the kennel. MAKE A LIST OF DO's AND DON'TS and go over it with them. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Off-Topic