The Forum Rant Thread!!! Come one, come all!

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby plebayo » July 18th, 2011, 11:29 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:This woman is on crack:

To babysit a child is $10/hour (that's on high note), all I'm asking for is for you to take my dogs out to potty and give them a few belly rubs. It'll take you about 30 min in all, if that. I pay $5/visit. If you're looking for more then I'm not the right job for you


BTW, I charge $15-20 per 30 min. visit...because that counts my time, plus my gas/time coming and going to your house.


$5 for a neighbor-kid maybe. She's also paying you for your experience/ability to not lose the animal etc. People are so lame, they want a lot for nothing these days.
------------

A week ago I set up an appointment to have pictures taken of me and my horse. The photographer is a client at the clinic I work at and has never done horses but they do good work and she was willing to waive a few fees for me and in trade I trimmed her dogs nails [and have agreed to do so whenever she needs it done.] Since this is the first time I've had pictures taken I wanted to go all out so on Tuesday I got my hair recolored and my friend was going to do my hair for the shoot, Saturday I got my nails done. Sunday rolls around and it's raining like crazy. The appointment was for 7pm but I get an email around 8:30am asking about rescheduling. At first I want to wait until later but then I'm thinking I don't want to hold them up from doing studio shots so I agree to reschedule. 5pm rolls around and the rain stops, by 7pm everything is dry and the sky is clear. Whatever :|

The forecast today said cloudy, 10% precipitation, 80 degrees. I went out around noon and washed my horse, I put her in a stall so she wouldn't get dirty. I talked to the girl who was going to do my hair Sunday but she was working all day. She suggested having her friend do it. I watch the friend's dogs sometimes, take them out for potty breaks when she can't etc. She had an opening at 3pm today and said we could just trade. As I'm getting my hair styled it is sprinkling outside. No big deal. I check my email when I get home [3:30pm] and the photographer wants to cancel because the lighting is bad due to clouds and they don't want to scare my horse with their lights [although I doubt my horse would care]. I'm like... GREAT, I did my hair for no reason, I now had to trade so I won't get paid the next time I take care of her dogs but will be out gas and time. I'm fine with the trade, it's just the fact that I got my hair done for no reason and have to keep asking my friends to help me with my hair but then don't get pics taken.

Then, 5pm rolls around and the sun is out, the lighting is great and everything is dry. It's so frustrating! I also think it's lame she emails me instead of calls. Around 6pm I e-mailed her and was like "Oregon weather sucks the sun is out!" And she said "Well we'll schedule for a time when the weather isn't so unpredictable and we won't be dealing with mud!" I already told her we have a gravel driveway that turns into black top - there is no mud. The pastures are full of grass - there is no mud. It's just kind of frustrating as we have had two opportunities but the photographer wimps out mid-day. It's just been one of those days!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
User avatar
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare
 
Posts: 942
Location: Oregon

Postby iluvk9 » July 19th, 2011, 5:52 am

Erin, when people got snarky over prices at a garage sale I had, I once said to the guy, "If you want it that shovel so badly, just take it." He was so embarrassed, he paid the BIG $5.00 I was asking for.

Suzanne, I can't believe all that preparation and the weather didn't cooperate. :x But I can't wait to see the photos when they are finally done!! There wasn't an indoor riding arena or barn you could have used for the photos?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!
 
Posts: 14900
Location: New York

Postby plebayo » July 19th, 2011, 9:52 am

iluvk9 wrote:Suzanne, I can't believe all that preparation and the weather didn't cooperate. :x But I can't wait to see the photos when they are finally done!! There wasn't an indoor riding arena or barn you could have used for the photos?



We probably could have but this is her first time shooting horses and she wanted artsy/grass/fencing in the background. The barn itself is a bit small but the arena would have been just fine. Who knows. I've talked to a few other photographers now who are like "It's Oregon!" and they would have dealt with the overcast weather. But I mean, by the time we were going to take photos everything was clear!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
User avatar
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare
 
Posts: 942
Location: Oregon

Postby pitsnok » July 20th, 2011, 11:52 am

A girl that I would call an acquaintance of mine, (she is the girlfriend of the guy whose mom adopted Ollie...) Has had two pit bulls and a schnauzer for a long time now. The first pit bull, Conrad belonged to her ex boyfriend I think, and when they broke up he refused to take him... so he stayed with her. He had a lot of issues that I definitely don't think were handled correctly, (DA, selective HA, etc...) but she meant well. I just don't think she knew HOW to work on the problems he had and didn't realize how serious they really were, so she just managed to keep him from the things that caused problems. Well, the two pit bulls got in a bad fight and she had told me that she was going to rehome Izzi, the female pit bull because she didn't have the issues, and she knew that she wouldn't be able to place Conrad anywhere, and she didn't feel that she could commit the time it would take to crate and rotate them--totally understandable, we talked a lot about that and I was actually impressed that she had made such a difficult decision to look out for the best interest of the dogs.

So a couple of months have gone by and I haven't heard anything about it (we are just friends on facebook) and suddenly I see a status that says something like "I don't know how I'm going to deal with this, its so painful"... Well, as it turns out, she had been living in a duplex, and I guess had annoying neighbors or something, so she was moving to an apartment. The apartment (duh) has a no-pit bull policy... So I scroll down through her wall and she had been trying for like two weeks to find a rescue that could take Conrad, or someone who would adopt him...and obviously that didn't work in her favor... So the day she had to move in to the apartment she just had him put to sleep!!!

THEN (and this is what infuriates me the most) she posts, bitching about how a lady at a rescue had said to her, "I don't understand why you have to get rid of him. I wouldn't move somewhere that I couldn't take my dogs." ...Her response was, "It's not like I WANT to get rid of him, sorry I'm poor and can't afford to buy a house!!! What a bitch I can't believe she would say that to me! It's not helping at all!"

.... I SO BADLY wanted to comment and say "well, she's right. You really could have found another place, or had someone hold on to him temporarily or SOMETHING..." but she had already put Conrad to sleep so, there was no use in bringing it up again.

I am just so disappointed because I really thought she was a good owner who would NEVER do such a thing... but lo and behold, she chose an apartment over her dog.

I just know that if it were me, I wouldn't be able to do that. I mean, as bad as it would be I would take him to the pound or drop him off at a rescue or SOMETHING else before I would be able to have him PTS.
I guess the only thing that makes it kind of okay is that he did have issues that would have been really bad to pawn off on someone else so, having him PTS was probably the next best thing to her keeping him.

I just can't imagine putting myself in that situation to begin with. Ugh.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom


"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
User avatar
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 365
Location: Edmond, OK

Postby hugapitbull » July 20th, 2011, 6:35 pm

Brittany, the longer you live, the less stupidity will surprise you. It never stops making your blood boil, but there comes a point where you just don't expect as much out of people. The fact that it bothered you enough to share reminds us of the good that remains in humans.

I feel so bad for Conrad, he certainly doesn't deserve that fate. What a heartbreaking story. Give Degan and Harlow a hug, they are lucky dogs.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
User avatar
hugapitbull
The Better Half
 
Posts: 1570
Location: My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge

Postby pitsnok » July 20th, 2011, 8:54 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Brittany, the longer you live, the less stupidity will surprise you. It never stops making your blood boil, but there comes a point where you just don't expect as much out of people. The fact that it bothered you enough to share reminds us of the good that remains in humans.

I feel so bad for Conrad, he certainly doesn't deserve that fate. What a heartbreaking story. Give Degan and Harlow a hug, they are lucky dogs.



You really have no idea how much this means to me. Thank you. :hug3:
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom


"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
User avatar
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 365
Location: Edmond, OK

Postby TheRedQueen » July 20th, 2011, 9:12 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Brittany, the longer you live, the less stupidity will surprise you. It never stops making your blood boil, but there comes a point where you just don't expect as much out of people. The fact that it bothered you enough to share reminds us of the good that remains in humans.

I feel so bad for Conrad, he certainly doesn't deserve that fate. What a heartbreaking story. Give Degan and Harlow a hug, they are lucky dogs.


It doesn't surprise me anymore...people and their stupidity involving their animals...Shanna's right...but you'll continue to be disappointed and sad, and angry and annoyed.

Things that I can't even fathom doing, people just do at the drop of a hat. :sad2: Just continue to help those you can...every little bit helps.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
User avatar
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.
 
Posts: 7184
Location: Maryland

Postby call2arms » July 21st, 2011, 1:29 am

Scoop #1: Kitten bought at pet store on previous day, (4 months old) comes in with panleuk - owner dumps him because of cost issues (I understand treating panleuk is costly, but MAYBE you shouldn't be buying a kitten at a pet store that won't vaccinate them, nor wants to cover any of the hospitalisation fees the NEXT day of the purchase). Luckily girls at work are in rescue and took him in. Kitten got 4 blood transfusions and is now as healthy as any other kitten

Scoop #2: Trashy lady buys 5 week-old shar-pei puppy at puppy mill or sketchy breeder, comes in for hemmorhagic diarrhea. Doesn't want to pay for treatments (if I wanted a 500$ dog I would have bought one!), is scared now that her kid will catch worms/intestinal parasites which the dog is infested with (coccidia and some other type of worm, I can't recall) plus finally had the light bulb go on that pets cost money. Wants to get rid of dog. Rescue steps in again.

If it wasn't for that rescue (who basically absorbs dumped animals like a sponge), my job would be so much depressing. I guess that part isn't a rant.



I also really badly need to see horses. Even more badly to ride.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk


I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
User avatar
call2arms
Boys Stink
 
Posts: 2349
Location: sunshine, lollipops and rainbows everywhere...

Postby iluvk9 » July 21st, 2011, 5:45 am

When you say "dump them" do you mean they just LEAVE them at the Vet's and never return to pick them up? Or do they "at least" tell you they don't want them anymore and assume you will find a home for them?

People suck.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!
 
Posts: 14900
Location: New York

Postby call2arms » July 21st, 2011, 9:29 pm

When I mean dump, I mean "oh, we can't pay for this, we don't want to keep him anymore".
People rarely promise to pay and not come back to get their animal, but it's happened a few times.

Usually we convince people tight with money to do a payment plan and then my boss gives them a ridiculous amount of rebates (even to people who drive audis, and wear an expensive office-job outfit, and say they can't afford minimal hospitalization on their hit by car cat), which reduces their bill in a major way.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk


I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
User avatar
call2arms
Boys Stink
 
Posts: 2349
Location: sunshine, lollipops and rainbows everywhere...

Postby iluvk9 » July 22nd, 2011, 5:54 am

Wow. Such dedicated owners out there. :bs:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!
 
Posts: 14900
Location: New York

Postby amalie79 » July 22nd, 2011, 9:13 am

My vet has frequently taken over animals people leave to be pts'd, and usually one of the techs takes it or helps pay for treatment. Recently, it was a kitten with worms (big surprise) that needed three bucks worth of panacur, and another was a one year old pup with heartworms, otherwise healthy, and those folks could afford it. All the animals I take in, the stray cats I make sure are speutered, and people can't be bothered to take care of their own. Grr.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
User avatar
amalie79
Loyally Bully
 
Posts: 633

Postby call2arms » July 22nd, 2011, 10:29 pm

It's one thing when people truly can't afford it, but when they just don't want to... That kills me.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk


I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
User avatar
call2arms
Boys Stink
 
Posts: 2349
Location: sunshine, lollipops and rainbows everywhere...

Postby plebayo » July 25th, 2011, 8:42 pm

My friend lost her dog in the woods when we went on a trail ride today. :doh:

She has only had the dog for 6 weeks and the dog is super soft. Like, "submissively pee if you put a collar on her" soft. She tried to put the dog back on craigslist but was flagged because she tried to sell the dog for $75 [I believe what she paid for the dog, but really?!.] My friend isn't really dog savvy and in the 6 weeks she has had the dog their relationship isn't that great/the dog hasn't really learned much in 6 weeks. I asked to bring Seth today and she said she was bringing her dog.

Her dog stopped part way out onto the trail because my friend yelled at her horse. She caught back up to us and my friend yelled at her horse again and the dog refused to come. My friend said we should just keep going, I thought "Okay, she knows her dog" :| .

Pretty much the dog is nowhere to be found, unlikely to go up to strangers [but you never know, with the right person maybe.] there are cougars and coyotes in those woods and this dog is probably 25-30lbs. The saddest part about it is that my friend wasn't even upset about it. She felt "guilty" but isn't upset.

If my dog disappeared I would be so upset. Oh yeah - the dog has no tags either and my friend lives 2hrs away from where we were riding. :nono:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
User avatar
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare
 
Posts: 942
Location: Oregon

Postby iluvk9 » July 26th, 2011, 6:29 am

:( OMG that is just horrible!!! What a big mistake taking a dog that doesn't know you more than 6 wks and wasn't really bonding that well. I hope someone nice finds him and takes him in. :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!
 
Posts: 14900
Location: New York

Postby Pit♥bull » July 26th, 2011, 7:22 am

plebayo wrote:My friend lost her dog in the woods when we went on a trail ride today. :doh:
Shouldn't this read 'WE lost my friends dog'

Seems you even bare more responsibility as you knew better. :shock:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1207

Postby TheRedQueen » July 26th, 2011, 8:31 am

Pit♥bull wrote:
plebayo wrote:My friend lost her dog in the woods when we went on a trail ride today. :doh:
Shouldn't this read 'WE lost my friends dog'

Seems you even bare more responsibility as you knew better. :shock:


:bs: wow. :nono:

If I'm out doing something with a friend, I don't step in and tell the what to do with their dog/cat/rabbit/kid/etc unless they ask for help and opinions. So to say that it's mostly Suzanne's fault...uncool, very uncool.

It sounds to me like this girl did this on purpose to get rid of her dog...that she'd made up her mind as to what to do.

Have you put up posters/signs or contacted the AC in the area?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
User avatar
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.
 
Posts: 7184
Location: Maryland

Postby Pit♥bull » July 26th, 2011, 8:38 am

TheRedQueen wrote:If I'm out doing something with a friend, I don't step in and tell the what to do with their dog/cat/rabbit/kid/etc unless they ask for help and opinions. So to say that it's mostly Suzanne's fault...uncool, very uncool.

May be 'Uncool' but would you be a party to this animal cruelty....I think not. :nono:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1207

Postby TheRedQueen » July 26th, 2011, 8:56 am

Pit♥bull wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:If I'm out doing something with a friend, I don't step in and tell the what to do with their dog/cat/rabbit/kid/etc unless they ask for help and opinions. So to say that it's mostly Suzanne's fault...uncool, very uncool.

May be 'Uncool' but would you be a party to this animal cruelty....I think not. :nono:


I go on group hikes, and people have lost their dogs because they take them off-leash. I don't blame myself for them not understanding that the dog can't go off-leash like the rest. Luckily they all got their dogs back, but I wouldn't feel that I had a hand in them losing their dog at all. :| Call me a horrible person, but I don't take personal responsibility for other's failings in life. I will help them look/call for their dog...but I don't consider myself responsible.

Now...if Suzanne says that she hasn't done anything after this to help find the dog...then I'd be upset.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
User avatar
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.
 
Posts: 7184
Location: Maryland

Postby plebayo » July 26th, 2011, 9:27 am

Pit♥bull wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:If I'm out doing something with a friend, I don't step in and tell the what to do with their dog/cat/rabbit/kid/etc unless they ask for help and opinions. So to say that it's mostly Suzanne's fault...uncool, very uncool.

May be 'Uncool' but would you be a party to this animal cruelty....I think not. :nono:


Hey now, people who live in glass houses should not cast stones.

I put up ads on craigslist i pets and lost & found and my sister gave me the number to a ranger that works at the park. I had to leave a voicemail but explained the situation and gave the description of the dog and told him to call me back if he needed further information. Another friend[who is dog savvy] is riding there today and will be on the lookout.

This dog is not my dog. My friend was my ride out of the park and she did not want continue to stay and look for the dog - which I would have been fine with doing. I told her it was horrible, although politely because again - she was my ride home. The dog was not my responsibility, it was her responsibility. If it had been my dog I would have sent her home with the horses [because she had some place to be] and would have called friends out to look for my dog because I place no responsibility on anyone but ME for my dog. My friend had no interest in doing this. This whole thing makes me upset because she basically abandoned this dog in the park and didn't even feel bad about leaving her. However, I'm not going to take blame. I didn't leave my dog. My dog came home with me.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
User avatar
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare
 
Posts: 942
Location: Oregon

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot]

cron