Lower protein = calmer Inara?

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 19th, 2011, 7:12 pm

I posted this here since it's more about a benefit of raw than any training I've done. But this past weekend when I was at my mom's house, she just kept commenting over and over about how calm Inara was, and how she could actually pet her without getting licked. I'm willing to bet money it's because she's now getting less than 20% protein as opposed to the 32% her kibble had.

Just makes me happy. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby fenella » July 20th, 2011, 7:11 am

I've heard of studies that find lower protein = lower territorial aggression. However, the results are a bit mixed, and some of the studies are rather small or very short term (like 2 weeks). Certainly could be a link there, though!
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 20th, 2011, 7:36 am

Maybe Inara has had enough meat and just doesn't want to lick (for taste) and then eat your Mom? :neener:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby copperlegend » July 20th, 2011, 8:12 am

I always wondered if switching to raw affected Kia's calmness level a little. It's hard to say, because she also could have settled in with us more by then, too. Wouldn't surprise me, though.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby furever_pit » July 20th, 2011, 1:22 pm

Interesting.
I can't say I've noticed a change between the higher protein kibble and the raw diet and the dog's energy. Gigz is a raging idiot on speed no matter what I feed him.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » July 20th, 2011, 3:26 pm

As I've said in another thread high protein feed affects horses. I mean - not ALL horses get hot/energized on alfalfa but a good majority of horses that are fed high protein grain or hay that is high in protein tend to get hot/have high energy. If you have to feed alfalfa than you can expect to have to exercise your horse more so they aren't strung out.

It would make sense to me that high protein food could effect a dog's energy level, especially if you're feeding pretty high in protein but the dog is not in heavy work, or exercising enough to burn it all off.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby call2arms » July 21st, 2011, 1:20 am

I don't know about necessarily being over energetic on a high protein diet. I think it probably just depends on the dog itself, more than the food - if you have a more high strung dog, he'll tend to spend excess energy (calories) maybe by being more active (possibly excited) and if you have a more laid back dog, he can pack on the pounds... We have many people who come in at work with FAT animals on high protein diets - no health issues, other than being grossly overweight.
This lady is feeding Orijen to her chihuahua, and even though she's walking him more and attempting to make him lose weight, he recently gained a pound. He's got very low energy and basically could care less about spending calories from his 38% protein (and 25% carbs)... I think it really depends on the dog, but I think if it's meant to sit on the couch all day, then maybe it shouldn't be on such a rich diet.

It's debated in horses as well. Calories, so energy contents, rather than protein itself, can cause hyper behavior in horses... Often horses being fed grain that includes molasses can have problems with being high siprited, as well, while the same grain mix without molasses can make a difference... Nutrition is complex.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby plebayo » July 21st, 2011, 11:02 pm

call2arms wrote:I don't know about necessarily being over energetic on a high protein diet. I think it probably just depends on the dog itself, more than the food - if you have a more high strung dog, he'll tend to spend excess energy (calories) maybe by being more active (possibly excited) and if you have a more laid back dog, he can pack on the pounds... We have many people who come in at work with FAT animals on high protein diets - no health issues, other than being grossly overweight.
This lady is feeding Orijen to her chihuahua, and even though she's walking him more and attempting to make him lose weight, he recently gained a pound. He's got very low energy and basically could care less about spending calories from his 38% protein (and 25% carbs)... I think it really depends on the dog, but I think if it's meant to sit on the couch all day, then maybe it shouldn't be on such a rich diet.

It's debated in horses as well. Calories, so energy contents, rather than protein itself, can cause hyper behavior in horses... Often horses being fed grain that includes molasses can have problems with being high siprited, as well, while the same grain mix without molasses can make a difference... Nutrition is complex.

Are the dogs overweight due to the protein content or are they being fed too much be it food or treats? Because when it comes to weight gain it's calories in vs. calories out at least that is my understanding?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby call2arms » July 22nd, 2011, 10:15 pm

The dog is probably overweight because he was getting a rich food (I mean, Orijen is like 30something% protein and 25ish% fat, so that's a rich dog food compared to most other foods. You always get the odd, non-hypothyroid, on a real diet, semi-active dogs who just won't lose weight, just like people some have a harder time than others to lose it,and some pack on the pounds looking at food... The lady is trying to make her chihuahua walk more, but hell, it's summer, and when you're a fat chihuahua that has a hard time walking around cause you look like a tub of lard, it's hard to look like you're not dying when you exercise, and the lady is afraid she's going to make him collapse!

Seriously the dog would have needed to be poked at a 90degree angle to reach his jugular had we taken blood from his neck.

I mean I'm not saying it's just the food that's making him be overweight and clearly feel gross, but it's not helping.

That's going a little off topic, sorry!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby HappyPuppy » October 7th, 2011, 8:47 pm

RE Liz's OP, I noticed that when I bought a salmon based kibble (gawd I can't think of what it was) with higher protein. Ruby was DEMANDING for her playtime after work and seemed to have more energy. I also got off of raw (for dinner; kibble for breakfast) for 3 or so months and when we started the raw again, Ruby seemed to start up with the DEMANDING for evening play and again seeming more energetic.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Return to Raw Feeding