Advice, Opionions and Good Thoughts For Doogie

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby BigDogBuford » June 29th, 2011, 12:14 am

Doogie has been acting very weird. The last week or so he has had several accidents which is very unusual for him. Last Thursday night when I got home I noticed one eye was sort of sunken in and he seemed super painful....walking like a little old man. I took him to work with me the next morning and we did rads and lab work and nothing was abnormal. His urine was really concentrated but he hadn't been drinking water (although he was still eating). No neurological symptoms like nytagmus and he knows where his feet are....if you flip them over, he will correct it. We checked his eyes and they are normal. Gums were a little tacky but normal color. No vomiting or diarrhea. He has to be on a tether in the yard or he'll jump the fence so we figured he was playing rough and yoiked himself on the tether and had a soft tissue injury. We gave him sub q fluids and put him on Previcox and Tramadol.

I took him home and he paced for three days. Literally paced at all times unless I put him in his crate. I got the feeling that he was too sore to lay down and was pacing to make himself feel better. It progressively got worse and he would sort of stumble/slide when he would stop pacing. He would also stop mid pace to pee on the floor even when he'd just been outside. He was still refusing to drink water but still eating. Doogie normally sleeps 23 1/2 hours a day and only gets up to eat and go to the bathroom....maybe play a little bit outside but he's generally a very sedate dog by nature. I stopped the Tramadol to see if that might be a side affect but he kept pacing unless he was crated.

I took him to work with me again today and we ran more lab work just to make sure and it's completely normal. We gave him more fluids and he's still eating but refuses water and we couldn't elicit any pain anywhere on examination. We started him on Methocarbimol and he seemed maybe to have just a tad of personality back but still pacing and definitely acting alarmingly weird and 'off' for him.

So his symptoms are:
trembling/shaking
pacing
panting
refusing water
stumbling/feet sliding
dehydrated

normal bloodwork
normal rads
NAF upon physical examination except for acting painful

We are going to try acupuncture tomorrow and see if that helps. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby plebayo » June 29th, 2011, 1:58 am

How did his spine look on xray? Did they get any vertebrae in the films? How does his spleen look? I guess we recently had a hemangiosarcoma case that came back with normal bloodwork, you never know.

My concern would be neck or spine although that may not be the case either especially if his propriaception(sp?) is normal.

Sending lots of good thoughts for you both.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » June 29th, 2011, 2:50 am

My concerns would be something neurological. Sounds very neurological. (keep in mind I am not a tech.)

Has he been tested for Crytococcus? Any chance he has been having seizures that aren't very obvious? How old is Doogie?

Any chance you could put him on Iv fluids for like 12 hrs + also sedate him enough so he can sleep, and maybe kind of "reset".

On second thought, maybe both of you would like to be sedated so you can sleep :neutral:

You're really going through a rough patch :sad2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » June 29th, 2011, 6:26 am

You have my good thoughts!! I hope you find what is ailing him and he feels better. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 29th, 2011, 7:20 am

I've got nothing but wanted to send some love and good thoughts your way.
:heartbeat:
:goodthoughts:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » June 29th, 2011, 7:46 am

I've got no advice, but I'm sending loads of good thoughts your way.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » June 29th, 2011, 7:49 am

Sending lots of :goodthoughts: Jeanine, I'm sorry your 'plate' has been so full lately :hug3:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby madremissy » June 29th, 2011, 8:26 am

Sending plenty of good thoughts for you and Doogie. I hope you can find out soon the root of the problem.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » June 29th, 2011, 9:19 am

A stroke?

It does sound neurological...no ideas really though. Good thoughts for both of you...:hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BigDogBuford » June 29th, 2011, 9:54 am

His spine and neck looked normal. We got his whole body in the rads and there was nothing abnormal found. Other than the weird behavior the vet saw nothing in the exam that gave us neurological symptoms.

Doogie is about seven years old and I guess he could be having some seizure episodes without anyone noticing, especially if they were absence seizures.

He has not been tested for Crytococcus....I'll check on that. He seems marginally better this morning but he almost fell over when he first got up. But I actually got a tail wag and a little eye contact this morning which is more personality than I've seen in almost a week.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby amalie79 » June 29th, 2011, 10:06 am

Simon had a host of neuro problems in his old age. The sunken eye sounds like Horner's Syndrome and I seem to recall the vet telling me that it can be linked to ear (and other) infections or even problems further down the spinal cord-- something made me think it was related to his incontinence, though I can't find any info on that right now... Simon seemed to have neurologically-related urinary incontinence and either severe arthritis in his spine or some other sort of spinal issue-- he couldn't really wag his tail or squat comfortably to potty. He also had chronic UTIs. Tramadol went a long way to making him comfortable.

Poor Doogie... Thinking lots and lots of good thoughts for you guys!!!
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » June 29th, 2011, 11:10 am

We were able to rule out Horner's Syndrome because his eyes became normal again once he was rehydrated.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby BigDogBuford » June 29th, 2011, 6:01 pm

So it looks like Doogie definitely has a neck injury. He had acupuncture done and just a slight chiro adjustment (he's too inflamed to do much adjusting at this point). He fell asleep during his treatment but seems to be feeling better already. If you're on FB I posted a good pic of him getting his acupuncture done.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby BullyLady » June 29th, 2011, 6:04 pm

I have no thoughts other than, ugh I'm so sorry. :hug3:

:goodthoughts:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby airwalk » June 29th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Poor Doog man. I hope the acupuncture works for him. Sending good thoughts your way.
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » June 29th, 2011, 9:55 pm

If it makes you feel better: We have a Havanese on our flyball team (for those that don't know...he's about the size of a shih tzu) that got creamed by a 60# Aussie a few years ago. Just ran right over him in the lane. The Havanese ended up having a fracture in his spine...and was out for a while. But with PT, good meds, etc...he's back to normal.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BigDogBuford » June 29th, 2011, 10:06 pm

He's definitely feeling much better already. He finally drank some water and actually *slept* well. He looked fully relaxed for the first time in almost a week. He'll be getting acu several times a week for a couple of weeks and then we'll re access how he's doing and go from there. I'm so glad we finally have a diagnosis for poor Stinky Doogie.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby BigDogBuford » June 29th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Doogie ended up with many more needles in than this but he almost immediately layed his head in Dr. Hannah's lap and relaxed and went to sleep. He's got a cervical subluxation and Dr. Hannah said he probably had a really bad migraine because he was light sensitive and squinty. She put a lot of needles in his head/face area. He'll be on strict crate rest for several weeks.

~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Tubular Toby » June 29th, 2011, 11:21 pm

Poor guy! So glad to hear that you have a diagnosis and he is starting to feel better.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby plebayo » June 30th, 2011, 12:04 am

Poor guy!!! Glad the acupuncture is helping, the few times I've had lilo's hips done it has really helped give her muscles some relief.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health