Vick Jersey at a Tournament...and censorship

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby fenella » December 6th, 2010, 10:55 am

I was going to post this in sports, but I think it applies to any general dog-related event.
At a flyball tournament this weekend, an asshat on another team was wearing a Vick jersey (while running dogs and box loading). Many were very offended. I decided that I was going to say something to him, so I politely told him that I found it offensive, as did many other competitors. His response, "That's the point."
:cuss:
As we discussed on our team, if he had simply said he was supporting his team, fine. If he had said that he felt Vick served his time and deserved another chance, fine. (well, we'd have to agree to disagree at least). But to do it just to be spiteful in such a venue is beyond me. :bs:
Yes, he did it for attention, and by discussing it, I am giving him the attention he wants. I don't care. Asshats are asshats and my actions aren't going to change that fact. :mad2:

So, if you are running an event, or are participating in one, what would your reaction be, if any? This is a public event, but there should be some level of control over the participants. A team member said she was asked to remove a T-shirt that had Spuds McKenzie on it, with tire marks, with the phrase S--- Happens. Not a real situation with Spuds being run over, and it was a joke, but she complied because others were offended. It was just a jersey, not a "Dog Fighting is Awesome" shirt...but the intention was made clear by him.

Thoughts?
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » December 6th, 2010, 1:48 pm

Could he have just been trying to get under other people's skin so that it would affect their/their dog's performance negatively? He'd still be a jerk, but I've seen stranger things happen in competition.

A little over a year ago there was a guy wearing a Vick jersey at an AB show and working event. He even helped this other guy handle his two Pit Bulls for the hardest hitting and sprint racing contests. It just made him look like an idiot. He may have been trying to get a rise out of people but no one really responded to him.

I don't know, I guess I don't see the point in getting all worked up about it.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » December 6th, 2010, 1:52 pm

My only response is "takes all kinds"

its obnoxious, but its not above anything I'd expect from the general public. Most of them are knobs.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Tubular Toby » December 6th, 2010, 1:55 pm

furever_pit wrote:I don't know, I guess I don't see the point in getting all worked up about it.

I am more in this boat. Yeah, it's an asshat move, but I probably would have just written him off as an idiot and moved on. I probably wouldn't approach him about or make a big deal at all. :|
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » December 6th, 2010, 1:58 pm

I guess it might be different because he is more of a "real dog" person and should know better and understand.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby fenella » December 6th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Right. I debated it, as I knew it wouldn't change anything, but we constantly compete in the same region again st the same teams...it becomes a sort of a family since you know everyone and their dogs. There are certain ly some personality conflicts, but most teams help eachother out...adjusting jumps, holding dogs, etc. I don't expect anything to come of it, but I needed to vent.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » December 6th, 2010, 2:32 pm

In instances like that I usually just point and laugh. Public humiliation works really well.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » December 6th, 2010, 4:27 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:In instances like that I usually just point and laugh. Public humiliation works really well.

lol

I would have been ticked off as well.

You should have found a white t-shirt and written "Like Vick? You're a Dick" Then box loaded next to him.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » December 6th, 2010, 7:33 pm

mnp13 wrote:
BigDogBuford wrote:In instances like that I usually just point and laugh. Public humiliation works really well.

lol

I would have been ticked off as well.

You should have found a white t-shirt and written "Like Vick? You're a Dick" Then box loaded next to him.

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » December 6th, 2010, 11:54 pm

mnp13 wrote:You should have found a white t-shirt and written "Like Vick? You're a Dick" Then box loaded next to him.

HAHA, okay this, I like! :D :lol:
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby fenella » December 7th, 2010, 11:51 pm

While I will not re-post the content of the message, as I have not been given specific permission to do so, I felt it only fair to follow up my original post to let you know that I was contacted by the person who was wearing the jersey (found through this site). He did explain that he did not have time to tell me the full story, had been confronted by several people, etc. In the end, he simply wanted to support his team. He doesn't condone dog fighting, but feels Vick deserves another chance. He was not trying to cause offense.
I TOTALLY disagree with his views on Vick, but did feel it was important to pass along the other side of the story as well. I also appreciate the explanation, FWIW, as I wasn't really owed one, since i do not know him personally (other than recognition from competition). Not making excuses for it, but thought I should post the follow up.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » December 8th, 2010, 12:19 am

fenella wrote:While I will not re-post the content of the message, as I have not been given specific permission to do so, I felt it only fair to follow up my original post to let you know that I was contacted by the person who was wearing the jersey (found through this site). He did explain that he did not have time to tell me the full story, had been confronted by several people, etc. In the end, he simply wanted to support his team. He doesn't condone dog fighting, but feels Vick deserves another chance. He was not trying to cause offense.
I TOTALLY disagree with his views on Vick, but did feel it was important to pass along the other side of the story as well. I also appreciate the explanation, FWIW, as I wasn't really owed one, since i do not know him personally (other than recognition from competition). Not making excuses for it, but thought I should post the follow up.

Sounds like BS backpedaling to me. First he told you that causing offense was the point, now he was "just supporting his team?" Right. Too little too late.

My cousin has been a die hard Eagles fan since Jr. High. He was disgusted with the Vick thing. He still wears Eagles stuff, roots for the team, etc. But a Vick shirt? Not hardly. Anyone who would purchase something with that man's name on it, let alone wear it to a dog event is trying to cause a stir. Now he's embarrassed that he did it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » December 8th, 2010, 9:50 am

See....public humiliation DOES work!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby TheRedQueen » December 10th, 2010, 9:47 pm

Well, we were worked up about it at the time because we are all on top of each other at flyball tournaments in the crating area...and it's hard not to keep catching his jersey in the corner of your eye...ALL DAY...also, add the fact that many of us are drinking...emotions run high. There is a guy in the region that runs his little rescue pit bull that was ready to beat the crap out of him...(see my post in the Off-topic section)...so it wasn't just us.

And this was NOT a member of the general public...this was a flyball team person...and he knew exactly what he was doing.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TheRedQueen » June 27th, 2011, 8:40 pm

Just a quick update...this weekend, we talked to the guy that wanted to beat the crap out of the Vick jersey wearing idiot. I guess he contacted the executive director of NAFA (flyball association)...and the ED spoke to the idiot personally. He told him that he should not wear that shirt again, or he'd possibly be banned from all flyball events.

:)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » June 27th, 2011, 10:59 pm

NICE!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DemoDick » June 28th, 2011, 6:12 pm

When you create a climate where morons feel the need to conceal their nature, you can't bitch when they sneak up on you.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Return to Pit Bull Talk