Dinner time

Post your pics and vids here.

Postby amalie79 » June 22nd, 2011, 9:36 pm

A while back I solicited suggestions for new treat toys. Erin, I believe, recommended the Kong Leo and it has not disappointed. I've had several people ask me about it since, and our trainer asked us to bring ours in for her to look at so she can decide whether to carry them in her little retail space.

I now have one for each of the dogs and they get most of their dinner in them-- kibble with a couple pieces of duck jerky to keep it form being just way too easy.

Robin has a rolling and tipping system for hers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CMIJO2-k5Q

River just shoves it in her mouth and crunches; then she slings it violently around the house to knock stuff out. I don't have video of the fun part...just the crunching. :neutral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxvXw62Nvjg

Regardless, they are so, so very happy about dinnertime now, especially Robin. She's not quite as food motivated as River, but adding a little fun just puts her over the edge. :D

Thought I'd share the success.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » June 23rd, 2011, 6:11 am

8) Robin really has the "roll and tip" method down to an art.

Love your socks in the second video. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amalie79 » June 23rd, 2011, 7:56 am

iluvk9 wrote:Love your socks in the second video. :giggle:

Just wanted to make sure you could all get a glimpse of how fashionable I am, even at home. I'm just glad you noticed.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 23rd, 2011, 1:40 pm

I love Robin's black patch at the base of her tail. :)

And I've never seen a dog just pick a food toy up and shake it like River does! I've always seen them do it Robin-style! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amalie79 » June 23rd, 2011, 1:55 pm

River crushes it and then shakes it and then just chucks it at the wall.

If it's empty, she chucks it at me. :neutral:

It really has been such a great toy, and it's been fascinating the ways that each dog has figured out a different strategy that works for her. River did have the pink one and was crushing it to the point that it has huge cracks along the opening. She was pretty teed off that I got her a new more difficult version, so when she's done with hers, she waits for Robin to look the other way and then steals it. It's like she can't STAND that it takes Robin so LONG.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » June 23rd, 2011, 3:26 pm

So, this or a Wobbler for a young puppy? What do you guys think?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amalie79 » June 23rd, 2011, 3:44 pm

It's been too long since I've had a young puppy... But we have both, so I can tell you what I'm seeing from these two... River likes the wobbler, but it's LOUD; she just gets it angled right and then pushes it across the floor so it all falls out pretty quickly. And she inevitably can still pick it up, take it to her chair, and unscrew the lid.

Robin has a terrible time with the wobbler; even when I put something really stinky and awesome in it, she can't figure out what to do. So she follows River around and eats what she scatters out. Maybe she's just smarter... hm...

Anyway, the Genius is nice for a couple of reasons. For one thing, it something they can chew on, so it does some light double-duty that way. It's really not AT ALL suitable for a true power chewer, but mine are pretty easy on the black kongs, for example, so these do fine for us. They take a lot longer than the wobbler. They are quiet. They have a variety to the shape, especially in the leo, so River can grab the neck and sling it or squish the body or lick inside. I can make it really tough by putting things in the neck and it can accommodate softer foods, like peanut butter, chicken, cheese, cold cuts, and unwieldy things like jerky strips. If you're not using particularly runny foods, you can almost stuff it like a regular kong and then pop it in the dishwasher for cleanup. It has more opportunity for licking, chewing AND thinking. It's quiet. :) And as you can see from the videos, there's multiple ways of getting to the treat. The wobbler's kind of a one trick pony.

If I could only have one dog toy in the house, it'd be this thing. River plays fetch with it and she loves it so much that she brings it to me the minute I walk in the door; you could see Robin's tail wagging throughout that video-- she's never been all that stoked for dinner-- in fact, I don't think she even likes that kibble very much. Ever since we switched, she looks at me like she's in trouble every time I put the bowl down. But if it's in the genius, she will work at it for forever.

And one more thing, filling it with kibble is kind of tricky, so I made a funnel out of an old feeding syringe case. Works a charm. :D

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » June 23rd, 2011, 7:35 pm

Score eats from his Leo like River does...lol...crunch, shake, crunch, shake, repeat

Yeah, the wobbler is a kibble-only toy...whereas the leo can accomodate more things!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » June 24th, 2011, 2:07 am

my friend has a new puppy, its going to kind of be a one or the other type thing... hmmm... thanks for the reviews :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SLS61185 » June 26th, 2011, 2:56 am

Must be nice to have a toy that doesn't get destroyed in 2 seconds flat.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Gallery and Cinema