eewwwwww..... fleas!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 13th, 2011, 10:55 am

Yes, apple cider vinegar, the Braggs stuff with the "mother" in it. And I believe you can find Capstar at most big box pet stores - Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus, Petco, whatever you guys have.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » June 13th, 2011, 6:25 pm

This is what I use... http://www.program.novartis.us/

It's VERY effective but not exactly cheap, especially for mutiple dogs. I also only use it during flea season and skip it during the winter. I haven't seen a flea in my house in years, so it's definitely worth the price as far as I'm concerned. I also use it for my cats. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » June 14th, 2011, 2:50 am

Oscar has a severe flea allergy - He had hives for DAYS maybe 1 yr ago or so, I kept up with Benedryl, and finally when he was STILL trying to scratch his face + body on the pavement and carpets 24 hrs later, I started him on Steroids. 24 hrs after THAT(and still maintaining a dose of steroids), we noticed him rubbing himself, just for a split second, AGAIN; I checked him closely, and even with the anti-inflammatory properties of the steroids, he had mild hives again. As I was checking him over, I found ONE flea. I only ever saw the one.

Typically, I would think, "If you see one..." the standard issue "there are 100 more", but I have one pet, and I live in a free standing structure, and the reaction went away after a day or two more of steroids and Advantage. We haven't had an issue since. So I suspect, rather then my house being flea ridden, it was just one flea.

Anyway, moral of the story, he may be having some kind of reaction to previous flea bites. I'd try flea combing him and see if you get any live ones. Other then that, he may need a bath to wash away any flea dirt or saliva on his skin that is irritating him.
I'm not really familiar with Revolution, but the impression I got is that it should be affective within 24 hrs. If it isn't working, the place you got it may be able to help you with that.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby babyreba » June 14th, 2011, 6:02 pm

oi. i feel your pain. i've never had a flea on my current crop of dogs, ever, til i moved to florida. i never even had to use topicals or repellants in new york or maryland. but we had an epic go-round with them down here this winter, in which no topical product alone seemed to really work very well for us ...

we seemed to have our best success using a combination of things:

k-9 Advantix on all 3 dogs (repels as well as kills fleas, ticks, skeeters)

diatomaceous earth on carpeted areas of house, let sit for 24 hours, then vacuumed

vacuum every square inch of house and furniture, wash all bedding.

spinosad natural insecticide (same ingredient used in Comfortis, actually) sprayed outside in backyard to kill any fleas/larvae that might be waiting to hop on board one of our dogs again.

only after we treated house, yard and dogs did we seem to make any real progress. since then (i think it was in january) we've only had to treat the dogs with Advantix or Advantage for maintenance. i'd honestly rather they not have to be on anything, but florida's flea heaven, so i have had to make my peace with it.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby call2arms » June 14th, 2011, 11:10 pm

Around here Capstar is only available through vets. I like Program too, it's the same stuff they put in Sentinel for flea protection, and Jack hasn't had fleas ever in 9 years. Then again he doesn't really hang out with other animals other than his new bro and my 16 year old indoor-only cat.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby furever_pit » June 14th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Babyreba, FL is hard. Fleas and ticks definitely become an issue for a lot of people there.
To be honest, I was surprised that in 3.5 years of living there and having multiple dogs that I never had an issue.

This is gonna sound totally backwoods, but I have heard multiple people talk about using Avon Skin So Soft as a bug repellant.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 15th, 2011, 3:48 pm

I tried Avon SSS - Inara smelled good and was soft, but we were both still eaten alive! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pitsnok » June 21st, 2011, 10:13 pm

Uugghhhh we just found fleas on boss. I've never had a dog with fleas in my life so I'm pretty skeeved out. I went inside and checked Harlow and didn't see any on her...but she does have some red sports along her sagging neck area that I was blaming on playing rough, but now I'm worried they're flea bites...and that would definitely explain the pale gums problem from last week...except that it's my understanding that you have to have a pretty serious infestation for them to cause pale gums...is that correct? Also, have a really hard time believing weve had them for a while because tonight was our first trace of them, and I am ALWAYS with them. We don't typically use flea and tick protection because it's never been an issue, we just keep the yard sprayed and that has always kept them away. We don't have flea shampoo so I think I'm going to try the ACV trick you guys mentioned...on all the dogs just to err on the side of caution.
God, I really hope that boss JUST got them (we've been outside for a few hours) but I know that's really not likely...I started to mow but the mower stopped and I can get it started again...If I can get it done tonight I'm definitely spraying the yard TONIGHT.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 21st, 2011, 11:30 pm

I picked up some natural stuff at the petstore, it smells to high heaven, but it took care of all of the ones that were still bugging him.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitsnok » June 22nd, 2011, 1:04 am

So was it just Riggs, or did the others end up with them too? so far we're pretty much only seein them on boss but I guess I just assume if one has them, they all do.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » June 22nd, 2011, 3:20 pm

since fleas live in the environment, and only jump on the animal to feed, you'd be correct, in that every mammal in a house with fleas, will have bites, and will at one time or other, have fleas on them.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health