Big Dog Natural

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby Big Dog Natural » June 7th, 2011, 8:08 am

My passion for dogs began early in my life. I enjoyed reading about the various dog breeds in the encyclopedia and was always interested in the larger breeds.
One day I visited a well-known Mastiff breeder and I was hooked. How could such a large breed of dog be so gentle and noble.
Since then, I have owned Mastiffs and my passion for the breed grew. I joined the North & East Mastiff Fanciers and held the title of Membership Secretary as well as assisting in other aspects of the breed.
Since 1988, I have enjoyed showing my dogs, breeding a litter on occasion and became the rescue coordinator for New Jersey. Being involved with rescue was very rewarding and at the same time heartbreaking as well. It was always an emotional journey when finding that forever home for those in need. During this time, I was also lucky to have been owned by a smaller breed, the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen. I considered myself very lucky to be surrounded by so many people who shared the same passion as myself…both here in the United States and across the globe.

As with most pet owners, I started out with kibble as I didn’t know any better. It was easy and convenient. Even then, I was trying different foods with varying results. As time went by, I couldn’t understand why the frequent veterinarian visits for one thing or another. When I purchased a male from well known breeders in Virginia, they mentioned feeding a raw diet. I started out with chicken quarters and gradually started putting together a diet for my dogs. This took a bit more time than opening a bag of kibble but I noticed a difference in a relatively short amount of time. Back then, it was difficult finding green tripe as most was bleached but with a bit more research, I found a supplier.

Being involved with the Mastiff all these years, I met my husband, Carl. He too had a passion for the breed and, since the male I had purchased had Belgian lines, we spoke quite frequently regarding pedigrees as well as diet. The rest is history.

Bes Van Bael
Big Dog Natural
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » June 7th, 2011, 3:40 pm

Welcome to the board!!

I'm sorry that I had to edit your post, please don't take it personal. We've had many business owners join just to advertise, but not be part of the community.

I sincerely hope you're not one of them, and I don't assume that you are! Once you are approved for posting, and have been around a little, you're welcome to post in the marketplace section, and of course in the raw feeding section!

Thank you for your understanding.

Michelle
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » June 9th, 2011, 5:40 am

Welcome to the forum. :wave2: I hope you stay and play with us. :dance: I love big dogs. My Labradork isn't as big as your Mastiff, but they could both fill a room. :)

We had a few Neopolitan Mastiff's go through a shelter I worked at, and I could never get over their big heads and big feet. :giggle: Oh, and the way they sounded when they barked.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Big Dog Natural » June 9th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Thank you for the welcome. Got to love those big dogs...LOL! Been stepped on, spun into, etc. But, I wouldn't trade them for the world. I also had my SIL Neo stay with me for 6 months while they were building their home. A whole different temperament but I loved her.
Big Dog Natural
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » June 9th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » June 9th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Hello! Me and my big dog Buford welcome you to the board! :wave2:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Jenn » June 9th, 2011, 12:44 pm

:wave2:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Big Dog Natural » June 9th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Thank you Michelle, Jeanine, Jenn and Big Dog Buford.

Bes
Big Dog Natural
Just Whelped

Postby TinaMartin » June 13th, 2011, 11:38 am

Big dogs rock! Welcome.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Return to Introductions