Calling all Butt Heads

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby hugapitbull » June 5th, 2011, 8:34 am

Being the owner of a confirmed Butt Head (Duke), knowing Michelle has given me excellent advice having dealt with Riggs over the years, reading the recent post about Toby, and recalling some other posts in the past about dogs who act like butt heads, I wish to pose this question - "Are there any FEMALE butt head dogs out there?

I'm not talking about your typical stubborn pit bull - Trouble fell into that category. I'm talking about the barking, lunging, growling to play, people and/or dog reactive pit bull that is happy as a clam one-on-one, in their environment with their people, or even the one's like Duke that are happy if you take them outside their environment, but over protective if something (animal or human) moves toward their happy home. I am sure all our neighbors think we are nuts to keep this barking, snarling dog in our house. :doh:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 5th, 2011, 9:04 am

Hi! Have you met my dog Inara? lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » June 5th, 2011, 11:43 am

I don't have any buttheads in this house...we do have a "Queen Herding Bitch", and a service dog that is regularly referred to as "Asshole".
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby furever_pit » June 5th, 2011, 12:27 pm

Yep, my friend has one. She has more attitude than a good number of the males I have known.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amalie79 » June 6th, 2011, 9:40 am

Robin can definitely fall into that category sometimes. She's more fear reactive, but she definitely barks and grumbles at people and other dogs, and strains at the end of the leash while doing so (off leash she runs away while barking). She growls ferociously to play-- we thought she had more of a resource guarding issue than she really does because she sounds so nasty when she wants to play. And when she plays with other dogs, she obnoxiously flings herself at them.

But when introduced to people and some dogs slowly and carefully, she's just sweet as can be. Every time we warn someone that she might act like a butthead at first and that we're working on it and especially if they follow our instructions, it's like she makes a liar out of us and the people end up telling us they've never met a sweeter dog.

Turd.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby amalie79 » June 6th, 2011, 9:47 am

Oh yeah. My little stinkers also lunge at the window if a person, dog, or CAT is walking ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STREET.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby copperlegend » June 6th, 2011, 10:16 am

Kia can be a total butt head. She makes SUCH a stink when she's on leash, and she sees other dogs on leash. Dogs barking at her, but 'contained' by invisible fence? She just stares. Totally random stranger coming up and smooshing her face? Totally fine. But OMG OTHER DOGS ON LEASHES WALKING! I MUST BARKBARKBARK LUNGE BARKBARKBARK and scare everyone off.

Alone at home, with Nadia? Totally bombproof. The cat? No problem. Walking in parades surrounded by people and other dogs? Fine as long as the other dogs don't go anywhere near her personal bubble with a 30' radius. Sigh.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby hugapitbull » June 6th, 2011, 6:17 pm

I appreciate all the feedback. I really had decided it was just a 'male' thing :|

I actually made the comment I would never have another male pittie. May have to retract. :oops:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby madremissy » June 6th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Another Butt head to add to the club :wave2: Kinzyl doesn't like other animals in HER yard.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » June 6th, 2011, 9:02 pm

It's a personality thing...and a socialization thing...a breed thing...not a gender thing.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby hugapitbull » June 7th, 2011, 1:24 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:It's a personality thing...and a socialization thing...a breed thing...not a gender thing.

Duke's actually seems to be a 'my yard/property' thing (like Kinzyl). He's perfectly OK once he's not at our house. Take him to the vet and sit him in the waiting area - not a problem.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby madremissy » June 7th, 2011, 1:30 pm

hugapitbull wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:It's a personality thing...and a socialization thing...a breed thing...not a gender thing.

Duke's actually seems to be a 'my yard/property' thing (like Kinzyl). He's perfectly OK once he's not at our house. Take him to the vet and sit him in the waiting area - not a problem.

x2! She is a perfect dog anywhere else but in her yard she kinda gets protective. Not with people but with other animals.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » June 9th, 2011, 8:16 am

hugapitbull wrote:

Right, but that has to do with genetics, and early socialization...not the gender, that's what I was saying... :mrgreen:

TheRedQueen

Postby plebayo » June 9th, 2011, 1:16 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
hugapitbull wrote:

Right, but that has to do with genetics, and early socialization...not the gender, that's what I was saying... :mrgreen:

This.

LiLo is VERY territorial and will run the fence line and bark at people. I don't consider it butt head behavior because she's just watching the property and she'll stop if I tell her to. Seth will join in but it's because it's fun and exciting, not because he cares. He's not territorial at all. He has alerted me once in a while if he hears a strange noise so there is somewhat of an instinct to protect, but if LiLo wasn't out running the fence line he wouldn't be doing it.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Pit♥bull » June 9th, 2011, 3:19 pm

plebayo wrote:she'll stop if I tell her to.
Our 'butthead' Duke won't stop, that's what makes him a butthead. :rolleyes2:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » June 11th, 2011, 9:10 am

:wave2:

THREE butt heads here...
Daisy is definitely the queen bitch in my house. She''ll help herself to stuff in the pantry, takes it VERY personal when someone touches our garbage can, snarks at the boys when the try to tip-toe past her, and is on constant *loud* alert in the yard. There is nothing like a high-pitched border collie yowl to make you grind your teeth. >(

Sepp - totally oblivious to the term "personal space" or "polite greeting of strangers/family". If he can velcro himself to your socks, he will. If you as much as look in his direction or *think* his name, be prepared to be greeted and loved on up-close and personal... for hours. :rolleyes2:

Faust - literal "bull in the china shop". That boy has had more run-ins w/furniture and kitchen appliances than I care to count. He thinks he's still a five pound puppy, and will try to fit in and under things... no depth perception what-so-ever. He needs to be extracted from under the coffee table on a regular basis. :nono:

What would I do without them??? :D :heartbeat: lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby shady-angel » June 23rd, 2011, 4:27 am

LOl, Butt heads.
Hey :wave2:
Yea Cujo was a real butt head especially with other adult male dogs, but he did improve as he got a bit older.
But yea he was still a butt head till the day he died.
<still love my baby.
Angie. :D
shady-angel
Kiwi

Return to Pit Bull Talk