E-Vet Holiday.

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 30th, 2011, 7:11 pm

Uggh, I mostly just need to vent.
My nerves are just shot right now.

Saturday night I was outside with the dogs and chatting with my neighbor over the fence. There was suddenly a loud commotion behind me and Shades started screaming. He somehow had gotten himself caught and entangled in the cable tv wire that is attached to our house. He was panicking and flailing. Piper immediately ran over and jumped on him, grabbing him by the leg and pulling. My neighbor jumped in and helped me separate them, but Shades was bleeding something fierce.
So, bite wounds in his thigh and large laceration. Uggh. Had to go to the e-vet, who was SUPER busy. They kept him overnight to sedate him, clean him up, stitch his leg and insert a drain. I picked him up yesterday morning.
Now this morning his leg is terribly swollen, down much further on his hock-- near the ankle, it is double (at least) the size of his other leg and it's also swollen around his drain. I was worried I'd have to bring him back in today, but after talking with my vet friend, decided to let it go until he sees his normal vet tomorrow. He's eating and drinking normally, temp 102.7
He has to wear a cone so he doesn't chew at it but he's so upset when he's wearing it that he won't settle down-- even though I know he's exhausted. So, if I sit in the room with him (he has to be restrained to a crate or one room), he will settle and sleep. Otherwise I have to cone him when I can't watch him, and he just stands there (or barks incessantly if I leave the room). I did let Sidney come in and lay with him for a little while earlier today.

Ok. We're fine. Things could be MUCH worse. Deep breath.
Thanks for listening.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 30th, 2011, 7:16 pm

Poor kid. I hope he feels better soon!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Pit♥bull » May 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm

:goodthoughts: for Shades and :hug3:'s for you Allie.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » May 30th, 2011, 7:30 pm

Poor Shades! Hope he's feeling better soon.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby plebayo » May 30th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Poor guy! Poor you!

Did they give you sedatives? I would request some ace if they didn't and then you could probably get away with leaving the cone off for a little bit.

When Seth had butt surgery [anal glands taken out] I only made him wear the cone when I couldn't watch him and otherwise kept him sedated with ace. I mean, if you could keep him sedate enough he probably wouldn't mess with the leg. You could also try putting some boxer shorts on him to keep him off of the area too.

Hope he gets better soon!

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 30th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Thanks Suzanne

No sedatives, but the tramadol knocks him out a bit (he's only on it every 12 hours though)
I will see our normal vet tomorrow to hopefully have the drain out.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby madremissy » May 30th, 2011, 9:26 pm

:o Oh no Allie, I am so sorry. Shades WILL be good as new very soon. Sending good thoughts for all. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » May 31st, 2011, 5:43 am

Lordie, your heart must have been racing when all that was happening!! :o

I always check my fencing, look for things in the wooded section of my yard that could cause a problem, etc, but now I will check the cables that go around my house! I never thought of them being a problem.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby DemoDick » May 31st, 2011, 11:15 am

Do they have you icing him?

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 1st, 2011, 10:37 pm

DemoDick wrote:Do they have you icing him?

Demo Dick

No icing, just cleaning with wash cloth 2x daily

Shades went in to see our regular vet yesterday to have the drain removed. He was a very good boy.
Dr. Mike said he didn't think it looked too bad but was probably very painful, so he switched his meds up a little bit. He said to let Shades walk around more in order to help the reduce the edema.
Shades is doing fine today-- completely back to normal.... which is a problem when he thinks he can run and jump as though nothing happened. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to try to keep a puppy on restrictions.
Stitches out in about 8 more days or so.

Shades will have to be left alone tomorrow while both Phil & I are at work. I'm thinking of just putting him in his crate without the cone (he can't move around when he is wearing the cone in his crate). He has been leaving the incision alone since the drain was taken out. There's no guarantee he won't lick at it, but our neighbors say he has been barking incessantly when we leave. I'm sure it is due to him being left in the TV room with his cone.
Thoughts?
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby iluvk9 » June 2nd, 2011, 5:39 am

I can just add GOOD THOUGHTS for ALL of you! :dance: And I would definitely crate for my own piece of mind, wondering what is happening there all day.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 2nd, 2011, 5:29 pm

Thanks Joyce.
Shades seemed to do fine in his crate today. I know he was licking a bit but not chewing at the leg. They were silent and sleeping when I came home, so that's a good sign!
Tomorrow I will do the same, but won't be away at work all day-- just part.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby iluvk9 » June 2nd, 2011, 6:57 pm

:clap: Good news!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Nutrition & Health