My great grandmother was head of the union

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby mnp13 » May 27th, 2011, 9:55 pm

At Foster Paper in the 30's and 40's - I have a few of the strike photos.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » May 28th, 2011, 5:57 am

Brave woman for those times! I love old photos; seeing how they all "dressed up" for every day things.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » May 29th, 2011, 5:25 pm

She was president of the International Ladies Garment Workers Union, with a third grade education. Though my dad said that she read and wrote very well.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » May 30th, 2011, 6:05 am

I hope they got their "18 1/2 cents per hour" and no less!! 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » May 30th, 2011, 10:07 am

Wow, Michelle! What history! Great photo.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby DemoDick » May 30th, 2011, 2:47 pm

You guys do know what the "Union Made" label originally meant, don't you?

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby iluvk9 » May 30th, 2011, 3:18 pm

I'll bite. What did it mean? :wave2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby DemoDick » May 30th, 2011, 3:28 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I'll bite. What did it mean? :wave2:

In the mid 1800's when trade and labor unions began to form, "Union Made" labels signified that the product was made by higher paid (and presumable more skilled) white union members, as opposed to cheaper Asian and black labor. It started in cigar factories and quickly expanded to other products. The mark that many today interpret as a sign of American made quality and political solidarity was in fact, *quite* racially charged at the time of its adoption.

It has only been in the past few decades that labor unions have increasingly tapped into non-white racial demographics for membership, especially as those demographics became larger and more economically powerful.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby mnp13 » May 30th, 2011, 4:05 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I hope they got their "18 1/2 cents per hour" and no less!! 8)

They did not. The factory closed and moved. Foster didn't give in.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DemoDick » May 30th, 2011, 4:30 pm

That guy in the front with the cigarette holder in his mouth looks like a stone pimp.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby iluvk9 » May 30th, 2011, 5:00 pm

DemoDick wrote:In the mid 1800's when trade and labor unions began to form, "Union Made" labels signified that the product was made by higher paid...

Did not know that. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby DemoDick » May 30th, 2011, 5:14 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
DemoDick wrote:In the mid 1800's when trade and labor unions began to form, "Union Made" labels signified that the product was made by higher paid...

Did not know that. :)

Most black leaders of the time, Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. DuBois to name but two, were stridently opposed to labor unions, even to the point of outright hatred. Unions were a "whites only" club and served to push (and keep) blacks and other minorities out of the workplace.

This has of course been largely forgotten. SEIU/AFL-CIO and other organized labor groups squirm at the mere mention of the racist roots of organized labor in America.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby iluvk9 » May 31st, 2011, 5:44 am

Were you a history major or do you just like to read up on it?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby DemoDick » May 31st, 2011, 11:00 am

iluvk9 wrote:Were you a history major or do you just like to read up on it?

No, I just know stuff. History is a hobby. My degree is in Sociology, which means I am eminently qualified to answer the age-old question, "Would you like fries with that?"

I really wish I had pictures of my specific family line from the period Michelle is referencing, but they were so dirt poor that they were more concerned with not starving than having their poverty preserved on film.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby DemoDick » May 31st, 2011, 11:18 am

DemoDick wrote:
iluvk9 wrote:Were you a history major or do you just like to read up on it?

No, I just know stuff. History is a hobby. My degree is in Sociology, which means I am eminently qualified to answer the age-old question, "Would you like fries with that?"

I really wish I had pictures of my specific family line from the period Michelle is referencing, but they were so dirt poor that they were more concerned with not starving than having their poverty preserved on film.

Demo Dick

That should read: *ask* the age-old question. PBT needs an edit button.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby Pit♥bull » May 31st, 2011, 12:44 pm

DemoDick wrote:PBT needs an edit button.

Has one, just isn't timed well. Needs to be set for at least 10 Minutes. :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 31st, 2011, 2:36 pm

We have one. It's set for five minutes, which is plenty of time to see a spelling error, etc and fix it.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DemoDick » May 31st, 2011, 3:10 pm

mnp13 wrote:We have one. It's set for five minutes, which is plenty of time to see a spelling error, etc and fix it.

Apparently not.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby DemoDick » May 31st, 2011, 3:12 pm

mnp13 wrote:At Foster Paper in the 30's and 40's - I have a few of the strike photos.

Let's see the rest. I want to see the pimpin' guy in some other poses.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby iluvk9 » May 31st, 2011, 4:11 pm

DemoDick wrote:
mnp13 wrote:We have one. It's set for five minutes, which is plenty of time to see a spelling error, etc and fix it.

Apparently not.

Demo Dick

HEY YOU TWO! NO ARGUING BEFORE THE WEDDING. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Next

Return to Off-Topic