Big B

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Malli » May 28th, 2011, 9:12 pm

good thoughts.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » May 28th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Hope everything turns out as WE want! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Hundilein » May 28th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Good thoughts on their way!
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » May 28th, 2011, 11:01 pm

So this is what I found when I unwrapped Big B's leg today:

Unfortunately my vet was two hours out of town on a road trip so off to the e vet we went. The good news is that it's already starting to granulate in. The vet is going to knock him out, get a good look, clean it up and suture/staple what she can back together. The rest will just have to stay open and granulate in and most likely he'll have a splint. He should be good until Tuesday when Dr. Brad can re-check it. Aaaaaaand $700 later....

Big B is a howler so I fully expect a call from the vet sooner rather than later to go and pick him up. :dance:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby BigDogBuford » May 29th, 2011, 12:16 am

Just heard from the vet. Big B is done and waking up (and crying like a sissy for mommy). She was able to close the top and bottom with an open spot about the size of a nickle in the middle that will have to granulate in. He's got a bandage and a splint and those should be good until Tuesday when he can be re-checked. He did well under anesthesia and I'm leaving now to go pick him up.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » May 29th, 2011, 2:33 am

aw man what a pain in the ass for you and POOR Buford! :sad2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » May 29th, 2011, 2:54 am

Malli wrote:aw man what a pain in the ass for you and POOR Buford! :sad2:

Yeah I feel really bad for the old man. I made them refill his Tramadol and I see many, many more donuts in his future.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Pit♥bull » May 29th, 2011, 3:07 am

OUCH!!

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » May 29th, 2011, 5:48 am

:shock: That was quite an opening in his leg!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 29th, 2011, 5:51 am

Holy cripes.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » May 29th, 2011, 5:49 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:
Malli wrote:aw man what a pain in the ass for you and POOR Buford! :sad2:

Yeah I feel really bad for the old man. I made them refill his Tramadol and I see many, many more donuts in his future.

I totally get that. I kind of thought of it as "just part of life" to have procedures etc done on Oscar when he was younger, but the older he gets, the worse I feel about having to do anything substantial with him, like procedures etc.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » May 29th, 2011, 11:16 pm

He's feeling a lot better today and definitely getting more used to moving around in his splint. Last night he wouldn't even get up off his bed when I was feeding the other dogs. :shock:
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby call2arms » May 30th, 2011, 12:57 am

Awe Buford! Heal well buddy!

Man that picture post-staple dehiscing is NOT pleasant! At least he got fixed up, is he on antibiotics at all or still holding up? The older guys shouldn't be allowed to have stuff like this happen to them.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby BigDogBuford » May 30th, 2011, 11:03 am

Yep, he's on ab's and he goes in for his re-check first thing tomorrow morning. They will unwrap it, check it and then bandage and splint it back up as long as everything is looking the way it's supposed to. *finger crossed*
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby call2arms » May 30th, 2011, 12:44 pm

Fingers crossed indeed! He is such a trooper!

To help granulation, are they doing sugar bandages?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby BigDogBuford » May 30th, 2011, 1:28 pm

I don't recall hearing anything about sugar bandaging but I'll ask Dr. Brad tomorrow. Is that the same as honey bandaging? I do recall her saying she was putting something on to help but I don't remember what. I was NOT at my best the night we went to the ER vet. I'll admit that I did have a mini meltdown (I haven't had the complete meltdown that I've been expecting since Grandma died) and probably didn't ask as many questions as I should have.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby call2arms » May 30th, 2011, 2:38 pm

It's not exactly the same as honey bandaging - if I recall well, honey is good against infections but I'm not sure about the granulation factor. Plain white sugar poured on a wpund and bandaged (changed every day) works amazing though.

Don't blame youself on the night at the er - just the wound itself looking like that is enough to be a big stressor, let alone your grandma's passing so close...

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » May 31st, 2011, 3:06 am

and really, who is calm, cool and collected when it's their OWN pet that is in distress?!

You should have seen me for Oscar's dental/eyelid adenoma surgery, I had to leave and force myself to become occupied :shock: , couldn't even bear to stay and help after he was induced :nono:
And that wasn't an emergency. I wouldn't say meltdown, but pretty close!

Hang in there, Jeanine :hug3: They are tougher then we know, and we need to remember that.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » June 1st, 2011, 8:42 am

Had Big B's bandage change yesterday. It was starting to smell kind of nasty so we were a little worried about infection. However, once we got the splint off it didn't look too bad. Everything seems to be holding together and it's definitely starting to granulate in so fingers crossed it keeps on healing the way it should! We go in for another splint change tomorrow.

Buford got a donut for being such a good boy......
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Pit♥bull » June 1st, 2011, 11:10 am

Yea for good updates :)

:confetti: :confetti: :confetti:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer