what do u think about this kennel?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby lovepits » May 28th, 2011, 9:50 am

http://www.pittrpatter.com/Diseases.html

Maybe not now but soon I would like to buy a puppy. But I don't like our polish pit bulls :nono:
Thats why I am looking good kennel and good, working pit from your country :wink:

If you have any other suggestion please share with me :D
lovepits
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » May 28th, 2011, 10:29 am

I suggest you look into adopting a puppy. :) Do you have dog shelters there?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby lovepits » May 28th, 2011, 11:32 am

sure we do but I am looking pure breed dog not mix.
lovepits
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » May 28th, 2011, 11:39 am

I guess it is different here in NY, because I worked at a shelter and we numerous purebreds for adoption. Name a breed, I probably adopted it out. Unless it was owner surrendered, there were no pedigree papers.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » May 28th, 2011, 4:40 pm

I'm frankly not impressed. No titles or health certifications on any of the dogs on the "breedings" page.

OFA and/or PennHip are basic, and quite standard, certifications and should be done on any and all breeding stock in my opinion. And "xrays looked at by a vet" is not the same thing.

There aren't even basic performance or even conformation titles listed.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Tubular Toby » May 28th, 2011, 8:37 pm

I don't know much about the titles and health testing for breeding, etc. But I can tell you about aesthetics and presentation and I wasn't impressed with the way the presented themselves on their website. Most of the pictures of the dogs are candid shots, unflattering, etc. There are some better ones, but I think if you're going to be serious about this business and you're going to make a website, you really need to put your best foot forward and do 110%. This is your first impression to so many people. When it looks sloppy, it makes you look sloppy.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby airwalk » May 28th, 2011, 8:52 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I guess it is different here in NY, because I worked at a shelter and we numerous purebreds for adoption. Name a breed, I probably adopted it out. Unless it was owner surrendered, there were no pedigree papers.

Amen!
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 29th, 2011, 1:19 am

Renee breeds WAY too damn much. She is a nice person and has some very nice dogs but she has bred some dogs that later were found to have health problems that could have been avoided. Plus she has given dogs to people who should NEVER have had them, for example 3 intact dogs to an 17 year old drug addict living in a apartment. Her dogs are bred to work, they are drivey and I do like her type of dog but if it were ME I would keep looking. There are PLENTY of pure bred dogs and puppies in shelters but if you chose to go with a breeder ( and I personally do not fault you for that) there are a better breeders out there. Do some research, ask questions, get to know the breeder & find someone you like and trust. Someone who you wouldnt mind being friends with because quality breeders have an interest in their puppies lives and wil want to keep tabs on their puppies. Take your time and you wont be sorry down the line. Look past the cute wiggly puppy and look into the ancestors and you will find your perfect family member.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby DemoDick » May 30th, 2011, 3:08 pm

lovepits wrote:sure we do but I am looking pure breed dog not mix.

Rescue dog.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby fenella » June 8th, 2011, 6:43 am

I am a fan of rescue, and all of my guys (two dogs and two cats) are rescues. However, I do believe there are many valid reasons for wanting to go to a breeder, such as health testing, etc. I do think that you need to be certain that if you are going to a breeder, you need to make sure you are getting the benefits of a good breeder. I may get slammed for this, but I am going to a breeder for my next dog, since it is a rare breed that doesn't come up in rescue, and there are sports I'd like to explore that don't accept mixes.
I'm not faulting you for wanting to go with a breeder, but there are SO MANY bullies who need homes. If you go with a breeder who isn't doing a lot of testing, isn't titling their dogs, etc., then you may as well go with a rescue...which I encourage you to look again at doing anyway. Is there a particular reason you are looking for a pure bred dog?
For lurkers, I also wanted to add that papers and "pure bred" doesn't mean quality in any breed. All it means is that the parents were registered members of the breed, not that they were quality in any way. I could breed a pure bred lab with horrible defects, hip dysplasia, a bad temperament, etc. to my neighbor's lab with defects, hip dysplasia, and a bad temperament and they would be "pure bred, papered" dogs.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » June 8th, 2011, 9:20 am

I have no problem with someone who wants to purchase a dog from a responsible breeder. Just be aware that most responsible breeders don't have puppies all the time and there is usually a lengthy wait time before you may get a puppy.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » June 8th, 2011, 9:39 am

fenella wrote: since it is a rare breed that doesn't come up in rescue, and there are sports I'd like to explore that don't accept mixes.

I would just like to point out that most rare breed clubs do have rescues, and responsible breeders also get returns, etc. Not that there is a problem with going to a breeder, but just wanted to comment.

fenella wrote: For lurkers, I also wanted to add that papers and "pure bred" doesn't mean quality in any breed. All it means is that the parents were registered members of the breed, not that they were quality in any way. I could breed a pure bred lab with horrible defects, hip dysplasia, a bad temperament, etc. to my neighbor's lab with defects, hip dysplasia, and a bad temperament and they would be "pure bred, papered" dogs.

Excellent point!!! There is SO much that breed registries could do to improve the breeds, but they don't bother because it would affect the bottom line.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby fenella » June 8th, 2011, 5:37 pm

I would just like to point out that most rare breed clubs do have rescues, and responsible breeders also get returns, etc. Not that there is a problem with going to a breeder, but just wanted to comment.

I know, and it is a very good point. I was on the list for a dog with the Toller breed group back before I got Nittany. I'm looking at a Danish/Swedish Farmdog right now, and there are less than 300 in the country. I know the president of the national breed club through a lot of communication, and she knows I would be maybe be interested if a rescue come up. She is actually the breeder I'd go to if I get one, and I've been on her waiting list for over a year now.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 8th, 2011, 7:02 pm

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever? There is a breeder that I know pretty well in my area. They show in conformation, obedience, rally and field trials.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » June 8th, 2011, 11:32 pm

fenella wrote:I may get slammed for this, but I am going to a breeder for my next dog, since it is a rare breed that doesn't come up in rescue, and there are sports I'd like to explore that don't accept mixes.

See, this I don't get. Why should you get slammed for going to a responsible breeder especially when you are looking for a dog to work? Makes no sense to me. I mean really, rescue or be slammed? That seems silly.

I'm not saying rescues aren't worthwhile dogs, far from that actually. I've owned rescues and purebreds and I will end up doing both again I am sure. Both have their pros and cons and everyone has their reasons for which they would prefer. I understand not liking someone's decision to purchase a dog from a BYB or from stock that has not been tested. But what's wrong with getting a dog from a responsible breeder?
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk