Dog Dates & Alpha Rolls

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Tubular Toby » May 11th, 2011, 11:03 pm

So here on campus there is a group that shows up on the library lawn to have doggy play dates. Eh, okay, whatever, I would never take my dog, but sure. They posted a notice on facebook talking about how their meeting with campus life went when they had some concerns. In this note, they said, and I quote directly here folks,
"Kent asked us how we regulate our group. We mentioned the rules and regulations on our facebook page. He had seen them and really liked how we do have some regulation to our group. He was concerned about dogs fighting and whatnot. We told him that we do keep a close eye and the moment playing turns into fighting we step in. It is important that we keep the dogs as good citizens to each other because people are watching and notice when bad things happen. It is an acceptable training technique to lay a dog on its side when it is aggressive and stand over the dog. I used this with my own dog and it worked wonderfully. I completely promise that no one would do this to your dog if there wasn't a reason to. If you see someone doing this to your dog, come take over. Its important for your dog to know their parent does not approve of the behavior they were doing."

I think my eyeballs popped out of my skull... so I had to respond with something. This was all I could muster:
I don't frequent play days, but I think this is dangerous territory. If someone does that to a dog that belongs to someone else, that they don't know too well (and seeing them for a few hours at a play date does not count as knowing the dog), they could end up at the emergency room. I'd leave "alpha rolls" for owners that want to use them on their own dog and not condone participants doing it to someone else's dog.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » May 11th, 2011, 11:06 pm

And if you were curious about their rules...

Our Simple Policies:
-All dog breeds are welcome!
-You are responsible for your dog's actions!
-Please pick up your dog's poo (if you need a bag just ask! someone always has extras!).
-We ask that you comply with the city ordinance that says your dog must be wearing their rabies tag on their collar (this is highly suggested but not enforced).
-Please keep your dog up to date on vaccinations.
-We support spay and neuter but do not require it.
-Please do not bring in-heat females to play dates. Please keep a closer eye on non-neutered males, dominance aggression is not tolerated.
-Children are welcome with adult supervision. Remember that not all dogs are socialized to kids, and some dogs will accidentally knock kids over, so children are to be closely supervised at all times.
- If your dog is vicious to other dogs to the extent that humans have to step in to stop it 3 times in one play date you will be asked to leave or leash your dog. We understand some are more socialized than others but we can't have dogs attacking each other. This is for the best interest of everyone.
-Code of Conduct!- If you have a problem with another dog or believe an owner isn't doing a good job with keeping up with a dog, let me know! (ask who Kortnee is, someone will be able to tell you). I will take care of the situation so you don't have to. Also, no yelling, stopping, hitting, or "hating on" other dogs. (but if another dog is attacking you or your dog, force is expected). If you hate a dog, you can leave. If the dog is an issue, come talk to me. Treat other's dogs how you would want your dog (and yourself) to be treated. Also please understand that humping is just something dogs do. Just push the dog off with a firm "No", do it enough times the dog will get the message and move on. If you have a problem with a dog, let me know. Just keep in mind that its in their DNA to want to hump each other (haha) so don't get all bent out of shape about it. Treat all dogs (and people) with respect and you will always be welcome to return for another play date!
-Failure to comply with these simple rules will result in you being banned from the group. I hate being mean so just follow the rules and we will all get along!
-Kristen

Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » May 11th, 2011, 11:06 pm

*gulp*

Good response...

omg...what a clusterfuck waiting to happen
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Tubular Toby » May 11th, 2011, 11:10 pm

I really only keep up with the facebook page so I can gasp in horror at least once a month at things like this. I don't know why I do this to myself.
-Kristen

Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » May 11th, 2011, 11:22 pm

Their response?

"Kristen, we know our limits. As I mentioned this really hasn't been a problem. A majority of the dogs that do come to the play dates come very often. We wouldn't put ourself or others in danger but sometimes people other than the pet parents are the first to step in when something does happen."

I really want to be like 1. it's an owner, 2. the first step needn't be rolling a dog over, so I don't see how this applies.
-Kristen

Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby plebayo » May 12th, 2011, 12:35 am

-We support spay and neuter but do not require it.
-Please do not bring in-heat females to play dates. Please keep a closer eye on non-neutered males, dominance aggression is not tolerated.

Then why would you allow unaltered dogs to come to the group?

IMO if you already think people can't be responsible, why allow room for failure?

I also think it's bizarre that they would reprimand someone's dog. Why can't the owner handle the situation themselves? It's not like you're leaving your dog unattended.

Totally would not be interested. I'm not really a fan of any kind of unknown dog group setting - like dog parks and such because you don't know the dogs there. Glad you said something even if it fell on deaf ears.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » May 12th, 2011, 2:41 am

you guys, you have to remember what the average dog owner knows about working with, and about, dogs ;)

a lot of my friends with dogs would think this was acceptable.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » May 12th, 2011, 5:38 am

"We told him that we do keep a close eye and the moment playing turns into fighting we step in."

And good luck with that, dog group. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » May 12th, 2011, 8:31 am

Malli wrote:you guys, you have to remember what the average dog owner knows about working with, and about, dogs ;)

Right...which is why it's up to the leader of the group to set better examples and rules. :wink:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby copperlegend » May 12th, 2011, 10:07 am

Ugh. Wow.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » May 12th, 2011, 11:26 am

TheRedQueen wrote:
Malli wrote:you guys, you have to remember what the average dog owner knows about working with, and about, dogs ;)

Right...which is why it's up to the leader of the group to set better examples and rules. :wink:

But she doesn't even know what they are ! Somehow I find this humorous at this time, when a dog is hurt etc, that will be the end of that.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Tubular Toby » May 12th, 2011, 11:46 am

Oh yes, trust me, it's the blind leading the blind. The girl that originally set it up is moving, and I know the two people that are taking it over. It's not going to improve anytime soon.
-Kristen

Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 12th, 2011, 2:14 pm

wow... what a complete disaster in SO many ways!

I correct my dogs, I have no problem correcting my dogs. I have no problem with people I know correcting my dogs. However, if someone that I don't know grabs my dog with intent to do anything other than hold on to it they are going to have an issue... and depending on which dog it is, the issue would be with me or the dog. ;)

Someone is going to get very very badly injured by a "nice" dog.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Pit♥bull » May 12th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Give em a brake... They're 'Okie/Aggies' :|
Been there/lived there/done that. :P
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » May 12th, 2011, 7:21 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:Give em a brake... They're 'Okie/Aggies' :|
Been there/lived there/done that. :P

Unfortunately, there is a whole lot of truth to that.
-Kristen

Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby furever_pit » May 12th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Wow. Glad there was not anything like that where I went to school. There were dogs on campus, sure...but no doggie groups.

Alpha rolling other people's dogs. It's so inane it makes me chuckle.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 12th, 2011, 10:41 pm

iluvk9 wrote: "We told him that we do keep a close eye and the moment playing turns into fighting we step in."

Ahhh yeah. If that was my answer when clients asked me about what went on in the rooms I'd guarantee you we'd have nearly NO clientelle.

You're supposed to watch for signs that could lead UP to a problem, and stop them there. PREVENTION! Idiots. This is why I don't agree with dog parks and public doggy play groups. Too many total freaking idiots . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » May 13th, 2011, 9:17 am

iluvk9 wrote: "We told him that we do keep a close eye and the moment playing turns into fighting we step in."

I missed that...

The "moment" is a moment too late. The amount of damage that can happen in that moment is staggering... just ask Millicent. *sigh*
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Training & Behavior