Would you buy prescription meds on line?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » May 9th, 2011, 5:09 pm

For your dogs? For yourself?

Harleybird is on Mirtazapine (generic for Remeron) which is an antidepressant. It has been successfully used for months now, to keep his appetite up. His stomach emptying problem often causes him to stop eating.

So, I pay $60.00 for 30 tablets (15 mg) at Rite Aid, a chain drug store.

I thought maybe Walmart or K-Mart had it for less, and started Googling prices.

Seems it is sold by "Health Warehouse" for $9.50 for the same amount. :|
http://www.healthwarehouse.com/mirtazap ... escription

And MedStore sells is for $35.10 for the same amount. Even paying for shipping, makes it cheaper.
http://www.medstore.biz/prescriptions/remeron/

I have never bought meds for myself other than through a major pharmacy chain. And of course, my insurance pays most of it for ME.

Help! Is it "good" medicine from these places????
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » May 9th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Any place that has 'online doctors' sounds fishy. :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 9th, 2011, 7:36 pm

I think I'd be hesitant...
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » May 9th, 2011, 7:42 pm

Good point, Bobby Boy. :)

Thanks, Liz. I don't feel comfortable either, but never knew anyone who DID buy online, so thought I was missing out on something.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » May 9th, 2011, 9:08 pm

We have clients who use places like 1-800-petmeds. I guess my concern would be if you bought the medication and your dog had a reaction to it would the company stand behind it if it was sold by an online pharmacy?

Also you might look around and see if these places have any reviews/if anyone else has used them.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » May 9th, 2011, 9:18 pm

plebayo wrote:.... your dog had a reaction to it.....

Another thing that scares me. :sad2: He is doing so well on mitazapine and reglan, I don't want to screw it up.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » May 9th, 2011, 9:45 pm

I wouldn't hesitate from a reputable place, there are many that are perfectly safe.

I've used 1-800-Pet-Meds, and a few other places for my fish (when I had them.) I know many older people who can't drive anymore get their drugs from mail order places.

I'd check reviews and if they are registered with the BBB.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » May 9th, 2011, 9:52 pm

I will order some medications online - things like dewormers and supplements. But if I need an antibiotic or something I go to the vet. I tend to hesitate because a lot of drug companies won't guarantee their products if they are not purchased from a licensed veterinarian.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby airwalk » May 9th, 2011, 11:24 pm

Joyce, I've used 1-800 Pet meds, Dr. Fosters & Smith and Vet Depot..all with good outcomes.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Malli » May 10th, 2011, 2:52 am

I'm glad you asked this joyce, I thought about buying Oscar's supplements online, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

For me, there is just that little question mark in the back of my mind saying "what if its a fake or isn't what it says it is?"
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » May 10th, 2011, 5:49 am

Thanks for the opinions. I never checked if dog supply companies carry Mitazapine because it is a human antidepressant. I will check into that.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » May 10th, 2011, 6:50 am

On-line dog stores don't sell Mitazapine, like I thought. :doh: So now I am back to my original question. How safe are people's on line pharmacy's?

I will also check other chain drug stores here. And go to K-Mart for their prices.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » May 10th, 2011, 8:03 am

Most online pharmacy's are hosted in other countries where it's legal. Just make sure who you are dealing with.
Lots of U.S. company's are having issues with counterfeit imported drugs.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » May 10th, 2011, 8:09 am

Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » May 10th, 2011, 11:02 am

Thanks, Bob! That is a much lower price than I pay at my drug store. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » May 10th, 2011, 11:17 am

Get a prescription for yourself and let your insurance pay for it :P
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby TinaMartin » May 10th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Check on line places out carefully. There are huge issues with counterfeit drugs right now. They have even shown up in hospital pharmacies.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby SisMorphine » May 10th, 2011, 4:11 pm

Waaaaay back when I used to have health insurance I used to order my meds over the phone, 3 months at a time, and would save some $$. I'll have to call my mom later and ask her if she remembers the name of the place . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby iluvk9 » May 10th, 2011, 4:13 pm

Thanks, Tina. Bob included a link from the BBB and I called the company and asked a million questions.

Alyssa, I can get the drug much cheaper using my insurance if I was taking it, but since it is for the dog, and I would not do anything illegal or ask my Vet to, I had to pay full price.

I just called my Vet so he could get them the prescription, and I ordered the Mirtazapine. I saved $20.00 even after the shipping charge.

And thanks again, Bob for finding the company for me. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SisMorphine » May 10th, 2011, 4:19 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Alyssa, I can get the drug much cheaper using my insurance if I was taking it, but since it is for the dog, and I would not do anything illegal or ask my Vet to, I had to pay full price.

Oh I wasn't saying you would or should, just saying that I haven't ordered meds since I had health insurance myself, and it was much cheaper to do so with this over the phone company (which is probably now online since everything else in the world is) and the meds were never sketchy it was totally on the up and up.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health