I found this food posted on a Mastiff forum and it looks like a pretty good deal at $1.20 to $1.30 a pound.
From what I read below, it sounds like a high quality food at a very reasonable price. I am not sure where to buy it but they are in NJ and have a toll free number listed.
The ingredients sound good. I've been feeding raw for about 7 yrs now, but I have never used a "pre-made" raw due to the high prices.
Has anyone here heard of this food or tried it?
Here is the web site --http://www.oldenoah.com/index.html
And the food --http://www.oldenoah.com/chubs.htmlhttp://www.oldenoah.com/medallions.html
About the company and the food --
Big Dog Natural...natural dog food
At Big Dog Natural we strongly believe that the nutrition provided to your dog has a great effect on overall welfare. Poor diet can lead to numerous health problems. In our natural dog foods, all ingredients are processed without being cooked first (except for the egg whites in our Supreme Complete, which are cooked to neutralize the protein Avidin, which inactivates Biotin. Biotin is an essential vitamin needed by your dog). We keep Big Dog Natural dog foods raw because after raw materials are heated, enzymes are killed, vitamins are neutralized and fats become saturated.
Proteins and fats come from fresh chicken and beef meat. Fresh meat is the ideal source to obtain the ideal amino-acid pattern. An adult dog needs 10 essential amino acids, a growing dog needs two more, Arginine and Histibine, which brings it to 12 needed essential amino acids.
In nature, or in natural dog food such as Big Dog Natural, this is not a problem, because fresh meat contains all amino acids in the right proportion. The unsaturated fat, especially from poultry, produces unsaturated essential fatty acids, needed by your dog. We complete these with raw egg yolks, sunflower oil, coconut oil, cod liver oil, salmon oil and flax seed. These are excellent sources of Omega 3.
In order to maintain a high quality, Big Dog Natural freezes its raw materials immediately after preparation (before using it for production). During production, our products remain frozen all the time.
This total approach guarantees that Big Dog Natural contains enzymes, natural vitamins, minerals and micronutrients in a most optimal form and also guarantees that the product’s natural juices don’t get wasted. Natural meat juices provide the most digestible iron, but also make the intake of huge quantities of water superfluous. Drinking too much dilutes the gastric acid, and this does not benefit digestion.
One of the main advantages of frozen dog food, like Big Dog Natural, is that you don’t need any preservatives or antioxidants. There is no need for high doses of vitamins to prevent the fat from becoming rancid since the egg yolk, the sunflower oil and the blueberry in Big Dog Natural provide these natural preservatives and antioxidants in excellent amounts already.
Give your dog a natural snack (like a bully stick, a bone, etc…) immediately after his meal. When chewing a natural snack your dog develops enzymes which digest his food even better. This also extends the time the dog is busy with food in a natural way.
Advantages of Supreme Complete for you and for your dog
• Supreme Complete is a complete and balanced dog food. You don’t have to add anything and suits every life stage of your dog. Small and large, young and old can eat the same food.
• Supreme Complete will assure you that your dog will like his food, which is one of the main requirements of a dog food. The smell, quality and taste of fresh meat are irreplaceable and not comparable with kibble. After all, your dog is a meat eater by nature.
• Supreme Complete is packed in handy, leak free, 2 lbs chubs. This enables you to easily cut off the right amount you need. Defrost in the refrigerator.
• Supreme Complete does not contain offal, but only poultry and meat that come from USDA inspected plants. Our eggs, vegetables and fruits come from local farmers. These are, as are our oils, human grade.
• Supreme Complete does not contain any grains, preservatives, coloring agents or taste enhancers. This reduces a lot of visits to your vet since in traditional commercial dog food, these products are responsible for stomach and intestinal problems, allergies, skin problems and behavioral problems.
• Supreme Complete reduces the risks of bloat (torsion of the stomach).
• Supreme Complete reduces the production of tooth plaque.
• Supreme Complete guarantees solid and compact feces.
• Supreme Complete eliminates the need of excess water consumption.
Ingredients of Supreme Complete and its benefits:
• Whole chicken: We use whole chicken to have the full advantage of the superior source of essential amino acids that comes from chicken meat. We also want to have full benefit of the unsaturated essential fatty acids you find in whole chicken, so much needed by your dog.
• Ground chicken bone: The bones are ground so that you don't have to worry about your dog ingesting sharp, large pieces of bones. Ground bones contain protein, essential fatty acids, fats, vitamins and a lot of calcium (needed to balance the phosphorus in the meat) and other minerals. As
mentioned earlier, it’s good to give your dog a natural snack immediately after his meal (like a bully stick, a bone, etc…).
• Green tripe: We thought this over very long and very carefully and we could have used gizzards instead of green tripe. They both are stomachs. The benefits for your dog of having green tripe instead of gizzards is so overwhelmingly better that we couldn’t decide otherwise. You will notice
improved appetite, better digestion, better coat, and so much more. Green tripe is a MUST in every dog meal.
• Chicken organ meat: Organ meat is a must to complete the essential amino acids and is an excellent source of natural vitamins and minerals.
• Whole egg: Superb source of essential amino acids, fatty acids and natural vitamins and minerals. We separate the egg whites from the yolks and cook the egg whites. Raw egg white contains Avidin, a protein that binds with biotin and immobilizes it. Biotin is necessary for cell growth, the production of fatty acids, and the metabolism of fats and amino acids. Cooking the egg whites naturalizes the Avidin and protects the Biotin from being immobilized.
• Sweet potato: a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Potassium and Manganese, and also a good source of Dietary Fiber.
• Broccoli: a good source of Protein, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Selenium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Folate, Potassium and Manganese.
• Carrot: a good source of Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate and Manganese, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Potassium.
• Squash: a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium and Magnesium, and a very good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese.
• Parsley: a good source of Protein, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus and Zinc, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.
• Spinach: a good source of Niacin and Zinc, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.
• Apple: an alkaline food, rich in vitamins A, B, and C, calcium, fiber and pectin. Pectin binds glucose to help regulate insulin. Pectin also binds minerals such as iron and copper, to prevent toxic buildup in the body. The pits are removed since these are toxic.
• Blueberry: a good source of Dietary Fiber, and a very good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Manganese. Excellent anti-oxidant.
• Organic Apple Cider Vinegar: Raw and unfiltered. This is the only one that benefits your dog. The one you find in the supermarket doesn’t hold the same benefits. Raw, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar contains a multitude of healthy minerals and helps to maintain proper acid/alkaline balance in the
body. It stimulates calcium uptake in youngsters, and helps detoxify the blood. This is a wonderful product for your dog, for many, many reasons.
• Flax seed: the benefits of flax seeds are numerous and include constipation relief, they assist in building muscle and burning fat. Flax seeds are high in Omega 3 oils, which are not produced by the body self.
• Organic Virgin Coconut Oil: the health benefits of coconut oil include coat care, stress relief, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. These benefits of coconut oil can be attributed
to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, soothing, etc.
• High Oleic Sunflower Oil: is high in vitamin E and low in saturated fat. High oleic sunflower oils are classified as having monounsaturated levels of 80% and above.
• Cod Liver Oil: The health benefits of cod liver oil are related, primarily to omega-3 fatty acids. These are essential for the healthy function of the brain, the heart, the joints, the digestive system and many
other systems of the body. Another benefit of cod liver oil is related to its vitamin E content, which helps the body process the fatty acids, is an essential antioxidant and promotes the health of the coat. Cod liver oil contains large amounts of vitamin A and vitamin D and should be dosed very
carefully. On the other hand, Vitamin D is not commonly found in natural foods, and is necessary for the body to process calcium and is therefore a factor in preventing osteoporosis and maintaining bone health.
• Salmon Oil: Salmon is an excellent source of high quality protein, containing all essential amino acids. It is rich in minerals and contains vitamins A, D, B6 and B12. Salmon is a good source of Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant. Salmon oil is easy to digest and is an excellent food source for
dogs, both old and young. Perhaps, most important, Salmon oil contains Omega 3 oil too, which decreases the risk of heart disease.
• Kelp: Kelp is important for maintaining health and is an excellent revitalizer. It can also promote better digestion, healthy skin and coat, healing from injuries, higher resistance to infection, larger litters and easier birthing. Kelp is great for increasing appetite, resistance to parasites and is an
excellent source of naturally chelated macro and micro minerals. It is essential for growing puppies, reproducing animals and for all other dogs.
• Minerals: In order to have a healthy dog, it is vital for him to get a very balanced diet. A dog must receive all the necessary vitamins and minerals in the meat, vegetables and fruits that he
is eating. In Supreme Complete we made sure we used ingredients to cover all this. However, there are certain circumstances in which a dog might need some supplements. In order to ensure your dog receives all he needs in his diet, we added some minerals which are not readily available in natural foods. To achieve this, we have included some Mineral Proteinates. Mineral Proteinates are minerals which bind to small proteins (peptides) oramino acids. When Zinc or Copper are bound to proteins to form Zinc Proteinate or Copper Proteinate, they take on the biochemical characteristics of the particular peptide to which they are bound. Since peptides are readily absorbed into the dog’s body during digestion, this characteristic makes Mineral Proteinates more available to your dog.
A Final Word
We, at Big Dog Natural, can look back on 30 years of experience in the dog world; in rescue, board member of breed clubs, dog show exhibitors, breeders, dog trainers, dog groomer, manager of a boarding kennel and a pet supply store, dog food manufacturer, but most important, as owners of the most adorable, loveable and loyal species in the world, our dogs.
Big Dog Natural brings you a high quality dog food for a low, affordable price… because we not only love to see our own dogs healthy and happy, we also want you to be happy and experience the same feeling we had in the last 30 years, a healthy and happy dog.
We love dogs… you and your dog will love Big Dog Natural.
Big Dog Natural, Industrial Parkway Suite D, Brick, NJ 08724
Toll Free 877 K9 MEATS • Phone 732 785 2600 • Fax 609 223 2099 http://www.bigdognatural.com