It has been busy around here...

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby call2arms » April 6th, 2011, 11:49 pm

I haven't posted in a little while, mostly due to the fact that I'd been through a rough patch with the BF and finally we sorted things out.

What sprung from that, is that there's a new (2 week trial) little friend in the house. This dog is from Bullies in need, he was being fostered by a girl from work, and I fell head over heels for him. He's truly fantastic. He was found as a stray in Ottawa (he weighed 16 lb, so just a bit over 7 kg!!), almost died from pneumonia, got better at the foster's, moved in foster to Montreal, and is now here (I'm sure I'm missing bits of the story). So he's a teeny weeny pit at 36 pounds (16 kg), fawn, and about a little bit over a year old. He's got big brown eyes to melt your heart. Total suck, super clingy and affectionate. Food driven to the max, he's easily trained and will be a fantastic agility prospect, on top of it he gets along with pretty much anything that's alive so far.

Jack is doing well, considering he's a crotchety old man. They walk super well together and they occasionally initiate play (which consists of rough, paws over the shoulder stuff that I don't let last). So far they're separated most of the time, and Fortune is crate trained which makes things very easy.

I'm sure you guys will kill me if I don't post a picture! BUT - it's a 2 week trial, my boyfriend was not keen on a second dog so he has the last word, if he really can't stand having 2 dogs in the apartment then Fortune will have to go back to the foster (which would break my heart but at least BF is willing to give it a try). So don't congratulate me yet, please!!! Here's some pictures from the Bullies in need website:

He's freakin' awesome.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » April 7th, 2011, 2:32 am

very cute!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 7th, 2011, 3:54 am

Since it's simply a temporary thing, I will refrain from telling you how FREAKIN' ADORABLE he is, especially in that last pic. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » April 7th, 2011, 5:59 am

Are you SURE it is a "he" this time? :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » April 7th, 2011, 9:53 am

I see why you fell head over heals for him. He is adorable.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby call2arms » April 7th, 2011, 10:19 am

Yes, Joyce, he's definitely a boy. I only have a crew of boys in the house, my single hope is that maybe some of my fish are females.

It may or may not be temporary. I hope not, but we'll see.

Darn he's cute.

Now since we only have 2 weeks, they sort of have to interact a bit to see if they can live together... So far I have to keep Jack under tight control - Fortune is just walking around, sniffing, and Jack wants some gay lover action - licks his wiener and tries to hump him, which I stop right away. But I don't know if they're "meant to be", if you know what I mean.

I definitely need advice on the "introducing 2 dogs" front.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » April 7th, 2011, 11:10 am

I hate to pull a CM. But walks seem to be a good way for 2 dogs to get used to eachother sort of "indirectly"
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Hundilein » April 7th, 2011, 9:15 pm

Malli wrote:I hate to pull a CM. But walks seem to be a good way for 2 dogs to get used to eachother sort of "indirectly"

That's not a CM-ism. I recommend parallel walking to introduce dogs all the time, and I'm a clicker trainer :) Walking together gives them something fun to do without pressure to interact. And there's things to focus on besides each other. I typically suggest starting on opposite sides of the street or a similar distance if not on a street, and then you can gradually get them closer together.

And now that I've talked about something other than Fortune's cuteness...holy heck is he cute! Sorry, couldn't resist.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby airwalk » April 7th, 2011, 9:49 pm

We also highly recommend walks as a good way to introduce and it's how I introduce fosters into my home. Like Sarah said, no pressure to interact and lots of distractions so they "know" the other dog is there, the get a chance to become familiar without pushing too hard. He is cute!
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » April 7th, 2011, 11:32 pm

Bad Rap has a nice intro step-by-step on their blog...

http://badrap-blog.blogspot.com/2009/08 ... ogdog.html

And of course I'm smitten with the little brown dog! :loveU:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » April 8th, 2011, 1:42 am

Thats pretty much all my reasons right there!
I'm actually fairly relieved it's common - it seemed quite effective to me - I've noted it worked for Oscar super well a couple times.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby furever_pit » April 10th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Oh geez, I love that last pic.
He's so cute in his winter getup.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby call2arms » April 18th, 2011, 3:48 pm

Little bit of an update. Obviously I've been extra busy walking and exercising and cuddling with 2 dogs instead of 1. Things have been going very well - the intros have not been as slow as some of the guidelines, but went very very well nonetheless. They are able to spend time together in the house, and outside, off leash. They play-fight a lot, and stop easily if I call them when they're too rough. I have plenty of pictures but can't find my stupid nikon cable to put them in my computer.

The end of the 2 week trial was sunday - saturday bf and I discussed, and he said no. So I called the rescue, and it broke my heart because Fortune is a dog in a million. But sunday I worked, and bf had more time to think about everything, and I think with "my" pressure lifted off (pressure being, he didn't believe I would ever be able to let Fortune go), he felt like he could see things in a different way and possibly say yes. So basically the rescue is allowing us an extra week of trial. Hopefully it's not fruitless and just delaying Fortune's departure. This is why I haven't been updating, or really involved. I was afraid of this, and was working on not getting my hopes up and plastering you guys with news.
Last edited by call2arms on April 18th, 2011, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby call2arms » April 18th, 2011, 3:50 pm

Excused typos, and after this one the "edit" button magically appeared on the previous one. Oh well.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby pocketpit » April 18th, 2011, 6:27 pm

He's really cute and sounds like a great dog, I hope things continue to go well for you. Keeping my fingers crossed :D
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby AllAmericanPUP » April 18th, 2011, 9:08 pm

what an adorable lil guy :)
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby call2arms » April 24th, 2011, 10:51 pm

another update : BF has agreed, after another week, to keep Fortune. I've left a message at the rescue, and they haven't got back to me yet, I hope it's just the holidays and not them reconsidering us as a home because it's been a bit complicated. I am currently looking for my camera cable to be able to put up a few pictures, but I haven't found the damn thing for 3 weeks now, I don't know where it's hiding!!!!

ETA: yes, I'm extremely happy even though I may not sound like it, but I'm trying to keep calm and composed and not carried away until it's 300% confirmed by the rescue.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby call2arms » April 28th, 2011, 12:48 am

So apparently, I didn't get a reply because of foster chaos/transport/busy-ness at the rescue person's. I guess I should have assumed it was fine, I'm sure if they didn't want it that way I would have known quick!

I CAN CONSIDER FORTUNE MINE!!!!!!!! (I'm saying that as he just burped next to my ear, how charming).

OMG!! I am so freaking happy! It's been years that I've wanted to have a second dog, and not only did I find an awesome one, he gets along so well with Jack...

I really need to find my camera cable to shower the forum with more pictures.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » April 28th, 2011, 2:58 am

yay!
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 28th, 2011, 7:00 am

:woowoo: :woowoo: :woowoo:

That's awesome! Congratulations! And I bet you can order a new camera cable off eBay for cheap - so do it so we can see lots more pics!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk