Shedding like a DEMON!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby call2arms » April 26th, 2011, 11:33 pm

The new boy of the house (yet anothe penis-endowed member of the family...) has a history of allergies and was on raw (cubed, frozen) food with the rescue. He's switched to Acana Pacifica (same as Jack) without any issues, and has been on poultry and beef diets in the past without problems as well. Got into a bag of Pedigree at the rescue and he had a crazy flare-up, the skin on his stomach looked like cow hide.

Anyway. You can barely touch him without getting covered in hair. I know it's shedding season and all but I think the food may have something to do with it, because 3 weeks ago when he was still on raw he wasn't losing a small chihuahua worth of hair on a daily basis. It's not that much of an issue except that my back hurts a lot when I vacuum, and we basically have to use the sticky roller before we get out of the house not to be beige.

The boy is on Omega-3 capsules twice daily, and the kibble. Switching back to raw isn't an option for us.

Any suggestions of supplements, or other kibbles we could try? I know about the veterinary diets that could work for allergies and skin issues, but would rather stay away from those if I can.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby plebayo » April 26th, 2011, 11:44 pm

I was just beginning to read the post and was going to recommend Omega-3's :p

Seth has this problem as well. When he's on high quality kibble and fish oil caps it isn't as bad, but he still does it. I find that he doesn't shed as much when he gets a bath at least every 2-3 weeks but I have access to a grooming tub and forced air dryer so it's easy for me to do. When Seth is on low quality kibble, like Purina or Science Diet he sheds REALLY bad and gets super flaky.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby hugapitbull » April 27th, 2011, 5:58 am

Trouble would do this also when her allergies would kick in. The allergist recommended a single source protein, single source carb for her kibble. She ate IVD (now Royal Canin) duck and potato for years before I switched her to Natural Balance venison & sweet potato - something that didn't have to come directly from the vet. Chemo seemed to alter her allergies. Those last two years we had almost no breakouts. (Not recommending ya go out and do chemo - just a oddity we noticed) The last several months she ate a home mixed diet to keep her weight under control, and it really did well for her allergies too.

Suzanne is right, the frequent baths help and I always used Melasab shampoo. It has a anti bacterial/anti fungal that helps keep the breakouts away. Keep an antihistamine on hand to help with the itching. If you can control the scratching, there is less hair flying. Brushing helps remove and contain the hair.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » April 27th, 2011, 10:31 am

I vacuum Connor, he loves it and it keeps the hair down. Well, the dog hair... the cat hair is unreal.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby call2arms » April 27th, 2011, 11:02 am

Well, the little dude really isn't that itchy, either. I'll just give him a bath at home (good'ol telephone shower head and a towel to dry him out will do)... I'm brushing him daily with my horse jelly-rubber curry comb and he still covers everything!!

I don't think the little guy would be keen on getting vacuumed.

Even Jack, who is black, gets covered in beige hairs...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mnp13 » April 27th, 2011, 11:31 am

call2arms wrote:I don't think the little guy would be keen on getting vacuumed.

It took a while for Connor, but now that he likes it I don't even have to hold on to his collar!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » April 27th, 2011, 12:36 pm

I had to work up to it with Oscar too (I used to vacuum flakey skin off him. ew!), but when he figured out it was kind of scratchy he liked it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Tubular Toby » April 27th, 2011, 6:07 pm

This makes me want to teach Toby to let me vacuum him.... His shedding is always horrible, regardless of what food I have him on (He's eaten everything from Canidae, Wellness, Solid Gold, Blue Buffalo and now Diamond Naturals). It took awhile before he'd let me brush him, but now he loves it. Maybe he'll learn to love the vacuum too...
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby call2arms » April 27th, 2011, 11:42 pm

And how exactly did you teach your dogs to get enjoy getting raped by a noisy sucking monster?

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » April 28th, 2011, 2:56 am

um, basically classic desensitization.

vacuum in room - treat, within 6 feet - treat, within 2 feet - treat, 6 feet away + turned on - treat, 2 ft + turned on - treat, immediately next to dog, turned on - treat, detach vacuum hose + turned on + hold near dog's face - treat, and so on ;)

like I said, in my case he was itchy, so when he figured out the noisy thing scratched (I used the little brush attachment) then we were pretty much good to go.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 28th, 2011, 7:01 am

I would also run the attachment over him a lot, with treats, while the vacuum is off.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » April 28th, 2011, 10:20 am

Malli wrote:like I said, in my case he was itchy, so when he figured out the noisy thing scratched (I used the little brush attachment) then we were pretty much good to go.

Yup, I use the brush attachment and scratch him with it, he leans into it for more. Riggs attacks the vacuum while I'm using it, but if I'm vacuuming him he stands still. Ruby, on the other hand, will have none of it.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » April 28th, 2011, 10:47 am

ya Oscar still tries ocaisionally to pick fights with the vacuum when I'm actually vacuuming.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TinaMartin » April 28th, 2011, 11:35 am

Gator wants to eat the vacuum.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Return to Nutrition & Health