What do you see in these pics?

Post your pics and vids here.

Postby Violet » April 24th, 2011, 3:07 pm

I am not going to give any explainations or anything but one of these pics has created a bit of a stir. So I am cureious what others see.

Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » April 24th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Kid hugging dog, which he shouldn't be doing?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Pit♥bull » April 24th, 2011, 3:50 pm

Pit Bull Talk • View topic - What do you see in these pics - Mozilla Firefox_2011-04-24_14-48-04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Emi » April 24th, 2011, 4:00 pm

:| One dog didn't have a collar? Or am i missing some thing else ? :|
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Violet » April 24th, 2011, 4:04 pm

he does have a collar on.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » April 24th, 2011, 5:22 pm

I see happy people and happy dogs...... :-|
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » April 24th, 2011, 5:28 pm

The dog looks slightly uncomfortable to me but I wasn't there and a picture can only say so much. I would say that it *can be* ok for kids to hug dogs if everyone knows the dog and knows they have a high threshold for such things. My dogs all put up with me hugging them because they know *I* like it. Joxer actually loves it but the rest just put up with it for me. It's also another way of people proofing my dogs.

However, if this is an adoption pick up and the dog doesn't know the kid yet then it certainly wasn't the best judgement of the mom to let the kid do that. I know sometimes kids just do crap and you don't always have time to catch it but this would have been a good teaching moment for the little kid. Explain that not all dogs like hugs and how to touch them etc....
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Violet » April 24th, 2011, 6:04 pm

yeah there was no *letting him* involved..like you said. we were trying for one group shot and had to pretty much coax the boy over there because he was more interested in my camera (I have a bunch of shtos just of him, up close and personal pointing at my camera lol) and wasnt real interested in posing with dogs. Then he finally got over there and Bella slathered his face with kisses (the hands up on her face were not him grabing and sticking his face in hersm btu putting his hands up when she was kising him like crazy) and he grabbed and hugged and let go and was back about hsi business. It was REALLY fast, typical kid. You know me..im not going to let a kid maul all over a dog. Neither would his mom, thankfully. Shes pretty darn dog savvy. Miss meltsalot bella was in absolutel seventh heaven getting so much attention.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » April 24th, 2011, 6:21 pm

Chris and I stayed on a cool cabin on the beach once and took Buford. We were going for a walk on the beach when we encountered a little boy who immediately threw himself on his knees in front of Buford and gave him a big hug. It was literally so fast that I didn't have time to stop it. Buford looked up at me like, "WTF?" and I praised him for being tolerant. The kids mom came around the corner right about then and almost crap herself when she saw her kid totally embracing this scary looking, unknown big dog. :lol:

We disengaged the kid and had a good and informative talk about how to meet and greet strange dogs. Buford showed off his awesome trick skills and we left on a good note. But it just goes to show you that sometimes kids do stupid crap before you can stop them.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Violet » April 24th, 2011, 6:44 pm

yeah indeed they do lol even my own kids..i don't knwo how many tiems I have freaked out on them for doing something REALLY dog stupid. And God knows I have drilled into them form day one the proper way to do things.. lol
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby Emi » April 24th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Violet wrote:he does have a collar on.

k
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby plebayo » April 25th, 2011, 2:39 am

I don't know what there is to be in arms about...

There's a picture Michelle posted of Ruby with a kid pulling her lip up... seems to me that could be just as bad as a kid hugging a dog. :| I don't really see a problem - if the dog has an issue with restraint/being grabbed around the neck one would assume the owner of a dog like that would not let it around children.

On the one hand children should be taught how to act around dogs, IE: gentle petting, no hitting/pinching/etc. But I would expect a child to hug my dog, I would expect a child to be in their face because my dogs are at face level for most small children [well, Seth is. LiLo is a little bit shorter]. My dogs don't get weird about anything and if they did, I wouldn't have them around small children.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby TheRedQueen » April 25th, 2011, 10:01 am

So was the hugging the issue? Some background would have been welcome...was this dog new to these people? to the kid? A transport? Seems like there are things that people have reason to worry about (complain about) that we don't know here. The dog doesn't look thrilled, but rarely are hugged dogs looking thrilled with the hugs.

plebayo wrote:I don't know what there is to be in arms about...

There's a picture Michelle posted of Ruby with a kid pulling her lip up... seems to me that could be just as bad as a kid hugging a dog. :| I don't really see a problem - if the dog has an issue with restraint/being grabbed around the neck one would assume the owner of a dog like that would not let it around children.

Well, that's quite a different story in many ways. In Michelle's pic, it's a solid dog that's been around that particular kid for a while (relative), and the dog is used to kids. the other thing is that in the dog world, lip pulling doesn't necessarily equal hugging. Dogs do mess with each other's lips...not that they necessarily *enjoy* it...but dogs DO NOT HUG EACH OTHER. We're primates, we hug...dogs do not. So many, dare I say "most" dogs don't tolerate hugging well. I teach my dogs to tolerate it...but only Xander really snuggles in for hugs. But even with him, there's a look in his eyes...lol. Everyone wants to pick up Figgy...he HATES being held and cuddled...but even after I tell people "no, he doesn't enjoy it..." people still try. Because that's what humans do. :rolleyes2: We can't help ourselves.

On the one hand children should be taught how to act around dogs, IE: gentle petting, no hitting/pinching/etc. But I would expect a child to hug my dog, I would expect a child to be in their face because my dogs are at face level for most small children [well, Seth is. LiLo is a little bit shorter]. My dogs don't get weird about anything and if they did, I wouldn't have them around small children.

I agree, kids should be taught, and dogs should be taught to cope...to the best of their abilities. And yeah, if that kid rushed up to my Inara and tried to hug her, he'd probably come away with a nipped face. There is a lot I've done with her...but there is a lot of potential for trouble...and it's not always the easiest thing to do to just avoid kids. :| You said above "one would assume the owner of a dog like that would not let it around children"...but I say, it's much easier said that done. We went to a dog event at the local pet store a while back (small strip mall store location, off-leash dog play on a slippery lino floor)...I took Rip and Xander...Xander was sitting in a chair while there. I turned slightly to move Rip out of the way of traffic, and when I did that, a small kid rushed up and grabbed Xander around the neck and squeezed hard and kissed him on the eyes. Xander, being uber-patient, just licked him. But honestly...it's a dog event, I don't expect to have loose, random children mauling my dogs. I wouldn't have kids there just for the potential of being knocked down.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby plebayo » April 25th, 2011, 11:36 am

Well, that's quite a different story in many ways. In Michelle's pic, it's a solid dog that's been around that particular kid for a while (relative), and the dog is used to kids. the other thing is that in the dog world, lip pulling doesn't necessarily equal hugging. Dogs do mess with each other's lips...not that they necessarily *enjoy* it...but dogs DO NOT HUG EACH OTHER. We're primates, we hug...dogs do not. So many, dare I say "most" dogs don't tolerate hugging well. I teach my dogs to tolerate it...but only Xander really snuggles in for hugs. But even with him, there's a look in his eyes...lol. Everyone wants to pick up Figgy...he HATES being held and cuddled...but even after I tell people "no, he doesn't enjoy it..." people still try. Because that's what humans do. :rolleyes2: We can't help ourselves.

I realize that is a solid dog, but no one knows that if the picture is just being posted. How do we know this dog is not a solid dog? Also even if lip pulling isn't like hugging, at work we have several dogs that when you go to lift the lip on their mouth they try to bite you. Either way you're talking a small child, in the dog's space, messing with the dog.

I agree, kids should be taught, and dogs should be taught to cope...to the best of their abilities. And yeah, if that kid rushed up to my Inara and tried to hug her, he'd probably come away with a nipped face. There is a lot I've done with her...but there is a lot of potential for trouble...and it's not always the easiest thing to do to just avoid kids. :| You said above "one would assume the owner of a dog like that would not let it around children"...but I say, it's much easier said that done. We went to a dog event at the local pet store a while back (small strip mall store location, off-leash dog play on a slippery lino floor)...I took Rip and Xander...Xander was sitting in a chair while there. I turned slightly to move Rip out of the way of traffic, and when I did that, a small kid rushed up and grabbed Xander around the neck and squeezed hard and kissed him on the eyes. Xander, being uber-patient, just licked him. But honestly...it's a dog event, I don't expect to have loose, random children mauling my dogs. I wouldn't have kids there just for the potential of being knocked down.

[/quote]

But it doesn't even look like this picture was a random event. She said herself she was trying to get a group shot and was trying to get the kid to even touch the dog. So I would assume the dog is good with children because she set this photo session up. I understand what you're saying about ill behaved kids rushing the dog. I'm not saying people with less tolerant dogs shouldn't take them places with a potential for children. I definitely understand what you're saying, you have a right to go places and not worry that a child is going to touch your dog/jump all over it without asking. My concern would be that if you did have a dog, that you know might eat a child and you took it some place and a child rushed the dog and got bit, my worry would be that the dog would be in trouble regardless of the circumstance. Especially if the dog maybe only meant to nip the kid, but nailed them in the face on accident.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby HappyPuppy » April 26th, 2011, 9:27 pm

So, what was the 'issue' ?
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Return to Gallery and Cinema