Duke's New Toy

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby hugapitbull » April 2nd, 2011, 11:20 am

Last Sunday I was doing laundry and found one of Trouble's stuffed toys on top of the dryer. Most toys they shared, but this pig was hers. I tossed it to Duke and he immediately became obsessed with it. It makes oinky sounds instead of a squeaker sounds. He carried it around all evening and whined. He tried to find a safe place for it and finally gave up, resigned to just laying it beside (or under) him and watching/guarding. He never was aggressive if we were too close, but he would pick it up and move it. He wanted it near him ALL the time. I would trade him a treat to get him to drop it so we could go outside. A couple days later he finally stopped whining when he carried it.

Now, in the last couple of days, the obsession is beginning to subside. He actually offered the toy to Bob yesterday. Are all dogs weird? :doh: :|
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 2nd, 2011, 11:34 am

Yes. Now where's the video?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » April 2nd, 2011, 5:44 pm

See, I read it all differently. I think it smells delightfully like Trouble, and he knows she is not there.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » April 2nd, 2011, 5:56 pm

iluvk9 wrote:See, I read it all differently. I think it smells delightfully like Trouble, and he knows she is not there.

Truly, I think so too. He has become an almost new dog. Extremely well behaved, even outside. No longer barks, lunges, snarls at people on the road. His energy no longer is directed toward protecting Trouble.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby plebayo » April 3rd, 2011, 2:16 am

hugapitbull wrote:
iluvk9 wrote:See, I read it all differently. I think it smells delightfully like Trouble, and he knows she is not there.

Truly, I think so too. He has become an almost new dog. Extremely well behaved, even outside. No longer barks, lunges, snarls at people on the road. His energy no longer is directed toward protecting Trouble.

x3! It's kind of interesting how things change... and it's kind of weird how much some pets do care for each other and do mourn a loss.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » April 3rd, 2011, 2:53 am

Yes all dogs are weird, some are weirder, or maybe not weirder, but we have less ease in relating to the behavior. Just ask the 27 idiots I work with! :doh:

I have always wanted a second dog, but have yet to experience it, so can only refer to the work dogs (most of whom cannot be loose together), and Oscar, on his own.

I do wonder if his reaction was related to the association of the toy, both in memory and smell. He misses his old lady :neutral:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » April 3rd, 2011, 10:27 pm

hugapitbull wrote:

I think you've got something here.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » April 4th, 2011, 5:44 am

Yea...every once in awhile, I come up with something good. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » April 4th, 2011, 5:50 am

mnp13 wrote:
hugapitbull wrote:

I think you've got something here.

He still lunges at four wheelers, :crazy2: but is much more tolerant of the neighbors, people walking, and even other dogs. :dance:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » April 4th, 2011, 11:07 am

Shove the toy in his mouth when those things are around. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » April 4th, 2011, 11:30 am

iluvk9 wrote:Shove the toy in his mouth when those things are around. :giggle:
Better yet.... You come shove it in his mouth :lmao:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » April 6th, 2011, 10:23 am

:giggle:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » April 6th, 2011, 5:38 pm

8) Oh, I forgot how "assertive" Duke can be.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » April 6th, 2011, 10:42 pm

I think Joyce is right. I believe we underestimate how and how much our dogs grieve for their partners.
airwalk
I live here

Return to Pit Bull Talk