What dog topped the bite list in Omaha 2010?

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby plebayo » March 22nd, 2011, 10:03 am

I think this is technically Pit Bull related because the numbers don't lie and clearly although Pit Bulls are quite popular right now and high in numbers they still aren't the only biters out there.

http://www.examiner.com/dogs-in-nationa ... omaha-2010

Omaha, NE - Some people will have to pinch themselves to believe what they are reading – others will stand up and cheer as the statistics prove what they have been saying all along – it’s the owner, not the dog.

For 2 years running, the Nebraska Humane Society has ranked the Labrador retriever as the breed of dog with the most recorded dog bites.

Yes, the ever-lovable, wiggle-butt, all-around family dog, Labrador retriever. Surprised? Some will be.

Others, not so much. Those that realize that dog bites stem from poor ownership (or dumb moves on the part of the bite victim) won’t be shocked at all.

Of the dog bites recorded last year, 79 dog bites were from Labs, 44 were from German shepherds, 42 were from Pit bulls and 33 were from Chihuahuas.

Almost a two to one ratio – Labs didn’t win this dubious “bite” title by one or two instances…this is a landslide over the runners up.

Responsible ownership is the cornerstone of a balanced, “safe” dog. The Humane Society noted that Labradors are popular in this area and also commented that though typically friendly, they have seen some serious injuries inflicted.

Share this interesting article with others. Some are sure to be surprised. Others will be cheering.

Source

Examiner Note: In my life, I have been aggressively charged by my favorite breed of dog, the German shepherd (I was 12 at the time-it did nothing to sway me from my love of the breed and yes, it was the owner's fault-dog running loose, he was a 3 time, repeat offender), multiple Labradors, a German Shorthair Pointer, a Yorkie, and a couple of Golden Retrievers. As of yet, no Rottweilers or Pit Bulls. It is all about ownership.

I personally agree with this. I do know a lot of goofy and happy labs, a veterinary clinic is a great way to test a dog's temperament because you get to see them at their most stressed. I would say we have better luck with Pit Bulls behaving/being stoic/not trying to bite than we do with labs. I also think it has to do with the quality of the lab, I think the blockier/show type labs have a tendency to be more relaxed and easy going vs the field type that come in all shapes and sizes with waaaay too much energy.

In the article they mention that labs are a pretty popular breed in the area, but for the people who think that ALL pit bulls are bad, obviously even with the ones in the general population they still aren't producing the massive bite numbers people might expect. I'm also glad they included Chihuahuas because those dogs are horrible! They might not be able to kill a person, but that doesn't mean it's okay for them to be evil!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Pit♥bull » March 22nd, 2011, 10:28 am

Joyce is going to kill you :P
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » March 22nd, 2011, 3:15 pm

Truman is a horse, not a lab!

Lol she's probably still going to kill me.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Pit♥bull » March 22nd, 2011, 3:31 pm

plebayo wrote:Truman is a horse, not a lab!
Pony :mrgreen:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 22nd, 2011, 7:14 pm

Oh my, I wonder what the Craven Wacko will say about this?? lmao
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby call2arms » March 22nd, 2011, 9:56 pm

I just wonder - does it make a difference how popular, overall, a breed is? You know, considering the amount of labradors, goldens, gsd's and pit bulls statistically.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby plebayo » March 23rd, 2011, 1:09 am

call2arms wrote:I just wonder - does it make a difference how popular, overall, a breed is? You know, considering the amount of labradors, goldens, gsd's and pit bulls statistically.

My sister was saying she would be interested to know the percentages of dogs in the area. In the article they say Labradors are more popular in the area. But again considering society thinks all Pit Bulls are bad, you would think even if you had 10 labs and 5 Pit Bulls, the 5 Pit Bulls should be causing more bites because they are just pieces of crap in general.

I just thought it was interesting to look at the bite complaint number itself and actually see that ANY dog can bite, it isn't just Pit Bulls.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Dukes_mom » March 23rd, 2011, 2:45 am

plebayo wrote: I'm also glad they included Chihuahuas because those dogs are horrible! They might not be able to kill a person, but that doesn't mean it's okay for them to be evil!

Sometimes those little dogs are the devil! Little dogs scare me 10X more then any big dog. Probably has something to do with the evil yorkie my mom had lol

plebayo wrote:I just thought it was interesting to look at the bite complaint number itself and actually see that ANY dog can bite, it isn't just Pit Bulls.

Totally agree. So many people have their brains wired that when they hear dog bite, the first thing they think is "oh a evil Pit Bull probably did it" Then if they hear a Lab (or any other "good" breed) did it, they just ignore it. People are crazy :crazy2:

Oh and I'm also waiting to see what Joyce says :neener:
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Postby call2arms » March 23rd, 2011, 5:00 pm

plebayo wrote:
call2arms wrote:
I just thought it was interesting to look at the bite complaint number itself and actually see that ANY dog can bite, it isn't just Pit Bulls.

Oh, that WE already know... And although I have nothing against labs, I agree that this list can possibly change some minds and open the door to people's light bulb enlightening, realizing that BSL is just stupid.

But in a "person that thinks pit bulls eat babies on a daily basis", I think both informations matter. For someone who is not willing to believe this "positive" painting of pit bulls, it's easy to brush the info off, and just say that proportionally, since the amount of dogs per breed is not mentioned, that it isn't valuable.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » March 24th, 2011, 8:53 am

"BULLSHIT"...says Truman.

Sure, he accidently gave me a black eye when he was once "little".

And sure, he might have the locking jaw and double row of teeth, like another breed we know...
:mrgreen:

And if he doesn't like something, he lets you know....

And okay, maybe he was playing hard and bit my lip and left a small scar, but maybe they got their statistics from a dog forum, like that member who does "research" on here does. :neener:

But look at this face!!! You all know you would kiss it.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » March 24th, 2011, 9:02 am

iluvk9 wrote: And okay, maybe he was playing hard and bit my lip and left a small scar, but maybe they got their statistics from a dog forum, like that member who does "research" on here does. :neener:

:spit:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Tubular Toby » March 24th, 2011, 9:13 am

Oh Truman. <3
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby amalie79 » March 24th, 2011, 10:03 am

iluvk9 wrote: And okay, maybe he was playing hard and bit my lip and left a small scar, but maybe they got their statistics from a dog forum, like that member who does "research" on here does. :neener:

lmao

plebayo wrote:
call2arms wrote:I just wonder - does it make a difference how popular, overall, a breed is? You know, considering the amount of labradors, goldens, gsd's and pit bulls statistically.

My sister was saying she would be interested to know the percentages of dogs in the area. In the article they say Labradors are more popular in the area. But again considering society thinks all Pit Bulls are bad, you would think even if you had 10 labs and 5 Pit Bulls, the 5 Pit Bulls should be causing more bites because they are just pieces of crap in general.

Even percentages aren't a great way to predict breed propensity to bite-- the CDC report even points out that when you don't have a reliable total number to work with, a percentage is sort of useless-- in other words, we have no way of knowing how many total pit bulls there are in a given area, or total labs or chis, or whatever, considering how many mixes and misreported breeds and unregistered dogs there are. :|
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » March 24th, 2011, 10:28 am

iluvk9 wrote:
But look at this face!!! You all know you would kiss it.
♥ Truman ♥ :dance:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 24th, 2011, 4:08 pm

iluvk9 wrote:And if he doesn't like something, he lets you know....

Is that a brush in the picture?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Pit♥bull » March 24th, 2011, 4:10 pm

Hey Michelle, no double post allowed....
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 24th, 2011, 4:13 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:Hey Michelle, no double post allowed....

:| :|
:neener:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby hugapitbull » March 24th, 2011, 5:35 pm

iluvk9 wrote:And if he doesn't like something, he lets you know....

If I were looking at that face with a brush in my hand, I'd be finding a place to drop the brush :shock:
You're a brave woman, Joyce!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Dukes_mom » March 24th, 2011, 11:45 pm

iluvk9 wrote:And okay, maybe he was playing hard and bit my lip and left a small scar, but maybe they got their statistics from a dog forum, like that member who does "research" on here does. :neener:

:ROFL2:

iluvk9 wrote:Image

:loveU: :heartbeat:
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » March 25th, 2011, 12:17 am

Yes, that is a brush. He doesn't like to be brushed, have his nails clipped, get a bath or have his ears cleaned.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Next

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL