Puppy bladder issues?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 22nd, 2011, 11:04 pm

Puppy question: a sixteen week old pup should be able to hold their bladder how long? Galaxie can't apparently go more than 30 minutes without peeing. She pees outside, on any surface, in her crate, etc. This morning for example: 3 pees in the grass outside in 20 minutes. Back into her crate while I took a shower, peed in her crate. *sigh*
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby plebayo » March 23rd, 2011, 1:04 am

I'd have her pee checked and maybe a vaginal exam, lots of girl puppies are prone to vaginitis which can cause irritation, and not even be related to the bladder but make them feel like they have to pee.

I think there's a rule that has to do with age vs hours but I can't remember it. I would think at 16 weeks the puppy could hold it 3-4 hours - especially if she's being crated and is sleeping. Like if she was out running around and drinking a lot of water I would probably take her out every 2-3 hours, but they should be able to hold it longer while in their crate.

It does kind of depend on the puppy, but 3 pees in 20mins is pretty excessive.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 23rd, 2011, 7:23 am

I've always heard one hour per one month of age, so she should be able to hold it for 4 hours. I agree with a vet check.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » March 23rd, 2011, 8:30 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I've always heard one hour per one month of age, so she should be able to hold it for 4 hours. I agree with a vet check.

Ditto. Some puppies do take a couple of "squats" to empty their bladders, but if she peed several times outside and then peed again in her crate, I'd be concerned that something else was going on.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 23rd, 2011, 8:37 am

Oh, and there is *NO* whining/crying/vocalization before/during the peeing in her crate. She occasionally lets out a short whimper, but by the time I get there (within seconds...it's a small house), she's already peed. We're wondering if its' a "owww...that smarts" noise.

Setting up an appt for tomorrow. Too busy today to get over there. :(
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » March 23rd, 2011, 8:44 am

Appt for tomorrow afternoon...for both pups...Galaxie for rabies and possible UTI...Chai (Aussie pup) for distemper. Busy afternoon!

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » March 24th, 2011, 10:53 pm

Well, Galaxie is on antibiotics...the urinalysis came back clear, but the vet sent it out to double check. She sent her home with meds, because she agreed that it sounded like a UTI, and that with pups the in-house urinalysis isn't always right.

Hopefully this clears things up!

TheRedQueen

Postby plebayo » March 24th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Sending good thoughts hoping the antibiotics work and she gets back onto a normal pee schedule!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby SisMorphine » March 24th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Both Teeny and Isey had puppy vaginitis and peed sooooo often because of it. We didn't do any antibiotics and after the first heat the symptoms subsided for both of them. And now Teeny can hold it for hours (hell, just the other day she held it for 16 hours because it was raining (trust me, she was shoved outside at least 4 times in between).
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 30th, 2011, 8:28 am

Forgot to update...the vet sent the pee out, the in-house Urinalysis came back negative. She has some sort of inflammatory response in her urinary tract...so the meds are supposed to be helping. However, she's still peeing in her crate. *sigh* And peeing a lot outside. We'll finish this round, and see what happens.

TheRedQueen

Return to Nutrition & Health