Strange lip spasm?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 21st, 2011, 8:14 pm

Sidney bean is a nervous nelly. Not sure if that has anything to do with this story.
She was acting a little anxious earlier and came over to sit real close to me, like she does during thunderstorms. I noticed she kept making weird faces. It was kind of like the funny smile my dogs do before they start vomiting. But it was mostly on one side of her face-- she kept pulling her lip back in a twisted smile. It kept happening for about 10 minutes. It wasn't constant, because she stopped for a minute when I tried to show Phil. After watching her for a few seconds, it started again.
I guess I can't explain it better than one side of her cheek kept pulling back and then going normal then curling back up again.
She seems fine otherwise.
Any ideas? Just a weird twitch or spasm? Should I check her out for anything else? She has returned to normal now.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » March 21st, 2011, 8:20 pm

Has she been outside/chewing on anything recently? Toby once was grimacing weird for a few minutes before I realized that he had a piece of wood stuck between his teeth. You might check to make sure it's nothing like that.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 21st, 2011, 8:44 pm

Good thought. I will check that side of her mouth. She always chews up sticks outside and nylabones in the house.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 21st, 2011, 10:35 pm

Got this video

I can't see anything in her mouth. She doesn't want me to look in there, but that's pretty normal for her.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby plebayo » March 21st, 2011, 11:28 pm

That is really weird, I've never seen that before. Have you had her teeth checked recently? We've seen a lot of carnassial tooth infections, usually they form as an abscess on the face but I was thinking if she did have an infection maybe it could cause the nerves to get sensitive and her face could twitch?

Other than it being a mouth issue I'm not sure.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » March 22nd, 2011, 2:39 am

I'd have her seen if it happens again, my first thoughts were as mentioned perhaps a tooth issue, maybe something got wedged in there, or it could be a focal seizure; again I'm not a vet or a tech ;)
Its excellent that you got video! If you do take her in, bring it with you, it might help the vet.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 22nd, 2011, 5:28 am

Malli wrote:I'd have her seen if it happens again, my first thoughts were as mentioned perhaps a tooth issue, maybe something got wedged in there, or it could be a focal seizure; again I'm not a vet or a tech ;)
Its excellent that you got video! If you do take her in, bring it with you, it might help the vet.

Thanks Malli.
I also work with a vet, so I will see if I can talk to her about it briefly today. I'll show her the video or email it to her. The video was from the second bout of it last night.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby madremissy » March 22nd, 2011, 9:24 am

I don't have any advice but I just wanted to send good thoughts to Sidney. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Pit♥bull » March 22nd, 2011, 10:23 am

Were you touching Sidney when this was happening?

I occasionally saw exactly the same response from Spirit Trouble, but it was a response from a touch (petting).
The same type of response that I'm sure you have seen with leg movement (scratching response) to a touch in a certain area.

Our Vet said it was caused by a skin sensitivity due to her allergy's.

Wising the best for Sidney and sending lots of :goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » March 22nd, 2011, 11:10 am

madremissy wrote:I don't have any advice but I just wanted to send good thoughts to Sidney. :hug3:

Ditto, I can see where you would be worried.. Sending you both lots of good thoughts!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 22nd, 2011, 1:56 pm

The vet I work with suspects focal seizure or some sort of neurological something.
She may be taking a trip to meet with some veterinary neurologists tomorrow and if she does, she will show them the video and see what they think.
She told me she wouldn't be worried unless it seems to start happening often.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby hugapitbull » March 22nd, 2011, 5:53 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:Were you touching Sidney when this was happening?

Since you've spoken to your vet already, I'm assuming this wasn't a possibility. Sure wish it was, that would definitely be nothing to worry about.

Lots of good thoughts to Beanie, such a sweet girl.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 22nd, 2011, 7:24 pm

hugapitbull wrote:
Pit♥Bull wrote:Were you touching Sidney when this was happening?

Since you've spoken to your vet already, I'm assuming this wasn't a possibility. Sure wish it was, that would definitely be nothing to worry about.

Nope, unfortunately I wasn't. But that doesn't rule out it being some sort of sensitivity similar to what you guys saw, I guess. She does get super sensitive on her sides sometimes an will twitch like that when I give her some good belly rubs. (Shades does too, and he'll stretch his neck out really long! :))

The thing my vet friend (the vet in our lab) said that makes her think it could have been a focal seizure, aside from seeing the video, is that Sidney came and told me something was wrong. I guess this is called an "aura" when dogs know they are about to have a seizure.
I hope she is able to get an opinion from the neurologists.

For now, I am just going to watch her and see if it happens again. It is not likely that we will be able to determine a cause at this time-- IF that's what it was. I think I'll at least call and talk to Sidney's vet to let him know what happened so we can document it. I'm glad I got the video.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby SLS61185 » March 23rd, 2011, 1:12 am

Patch does it sometimes. it's usually one of two things with him, though. Either he's getting ready to puke and starts swalloing a lot at the same time.... OR if I'm petting or sometimes touch him in just the right spot then he'll do it too... But that's the only time I've ever seen him do it.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » March 23rd, 2011, 3:04 am

I'm sorry to have been right :neutral: I agree, it only happened... once? perhaps it was a one-time thing. Don't worry too much yet! (I say that and I know easier said then done)

Her face reminds me a bit of Oscar, with her grey and her brindle.

Hopefully the neurologist people will have some insight.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 26th, 2011, 6:56 pm

The neurologists agreed to take a look at the video and discuss it with my boss and my vet friend on Monday (their meeting from last week was postponed due to ice storm). She has done it several times since the night i took the video.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » March 27th, 2011, 2:37 am

good thoughts.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby plebayo » March 27th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Sending good thoughts x10.

Maybe it could be something simple kind of like Horner's Syndrome - I mean, there's no real explanation for what causes it/how long it'll last etc, but isn't anything serious. I'm hoping for a very simple - non-scary diagnoses for what it is.

And much kudos for you for catching it on camera!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 27th, 2011, 6:26 pm

I'm glad I caught it on video too! Too hard to tell someone about unless they see it happening.
She hates cameras too, so that made it even harder.
I'll look up Horner's Syndrome. I'm not familiar with it.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby plebayo » March 27th, 2011, 8:34 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:I'm glad I caught it on video too! Too hard to tell someone about unless they see it happening.
She hates cameras too, so that made it even harder.
I'll look up Horner's Syndrome. I'm not familiar with it.

Amalie has pictures somewhere on here with Simon's third eyelid sticking up, he recently got it. It's a nerve issue in the face here's a good example:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3542/334 ... 449c49.jpg

The left side of the dog's face is super tight. In my boss's golden retriever it made her lips tight, pulled her ears higher up onto her head and she can barely blink [mostly just do a lizard blink with her 3rd eyelid.] It's supposed to relieve itself but she has had it for 3-4 years. It doesn't hurt the dog and doesn't cause any serious issues and they don't really know why it happens [at least as far as I know.].

Although the twitching isn't like Horner's Syndrome it might be something similar, like some sort of a pinched nerve that is just causing her face to twitch. Again, sending good thoughts for an easy non-scary diagnoses.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health