What's your favorite home-made dog treat recipe?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Ohiodogtrainers » March 19th, 2011, 2:19 pm

I was thinking about making some home-made dog treats. What are some of your favorite recipes? I was thinking about something with cheap ingredients, easy to make, and looks "pretty". (I'm too squeamish for liver)
Ohiodogtrainers
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 19th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Check out this link for some yummy ideas! viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34156
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Ohiodogtrainers » March 19th, 2011, 3:39 pm

I saw that thread thanks. Idk which ones "look pretty" just by their recipe. I wanted to bake them to give to customers dogs for holidays, the dogs bday, etc. So I want them to taste good and look nice.
Ohiodogtrainers
Just Whelped

Postby Tubular Toby » March 19th, 2011, 10:41 pm

I think you could take a lot of recipes and shape them before baking if you can find some cute cookie cutters. I know that Petco was selling little bone cutters for $1 when I worked there, so they are out there! You could also find some bags or plastic wrap that is cute and doggy related, or perhaps ribbon to tie off plain wrap that is dog related. I know Petco also sells these little boxes that fold up like Chinese take out boxes for $1, something like that with treats in would be cute!
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby plebayo » March 20th, 2011, 1:34 am

Tubular Toby wrote:I think you could take a lot of recipes and shape them before baking if you can find some cute cookie cutters. I know that Petco was selling little bone cutters for $1 when I worked there...

OT but do you enjoy being able to say - "when I worked there" :neener:

But I agree, if you got some cool cookie cutters you could make them look good. Also you might talk to Erin [theredqueen] she sent LiLo some carob yummies that were meant for LiLo but I ate them instead - they looked like human food :|
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Tubular Toby » March 20th, 2011, 2:49 am

plebayo wrote:
Tubular Toby wrote:I think you could take a lot of recipes and shape them before baking if you can find some cute cookie cutters. I know that Petco was selling little bone cutters for $1 when I worked there...

OT but do you enjoy being able to say - "when I worked there" :neener:
|

Indeeeed! :mrgreen:
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » March 20th, 2011, 3:35 am

I think Erin/TheRedQueen has my recipe that I came up with on her site, I think it's called Oscar's. Its doesn't have any meat and only has 1 egg.
I work at a private kennel with 27 picky (who get dried tripe, beefheart, veal chews, dental chews, loads of fancy dog type chews) dogs and I took in a batch and "tested" them out, I think I had 2 that weren't interested and the rest ate them. So I took that as a bonus! :) In the end, I liked the taste of the final tweek of the recipe and ended up eating quite a few of them :lol3: They were also a hit with the 4 family and friend dogs I gave them to.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » March 21st, 2011, 9:35 am

So you're looking for treats that you can roll out and cut with cookie cutters, instead of training treats, right?

What flavors/ingredients would you like? I have many, many recipes that I love...just depends on what you're looking for!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Ohiodogtrainers » March 24th, 2011, 2:30 am

TheRedQueen wrote:So you're looking for treats that you can roll out and cut with cookie cutters, instead of training treats, right?

What flavors/ingredients would you like? I have many, many recipes that I love...just depends on what you're looking for!

Yes! I use cute up pieces of cheese and hot dogs for training. I want ones that would look nice in a bag that I could give to customers for appreciation, dogs bday, etc. No garlic or liver! Garlic breath wouldn't make my customers happy rofl. I'm too squeamish for liver. Ingredients that are cheap and I probably have at my house already. I could go to the store for a few items. Cheese, peanut butter, tuna, or similar items. Or whatever you feel like typing lol. I think I'm just going to go with the cookie cutters from Hobby Lobby for now.
Ohiodogtrainers
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » March 24th, 2011, 7:32 am

Here's a link with a few...let me find a couple more that I like...

http://www.red-rover.biz/ripleysrecipes ... reats.html
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Dukes_mom » March 25th, 2011, 1:22 am

Well I don't have any cookies, but I've made these pup cakes
http://home.comcast.net/~kittycatfurbal ... cakes.html

Here is how mine turned out. You could probably get a icing bag and make them have a swirly top.
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Postby Maya815 » March 25th, 2011, 8:00 am

A friend of mine at work makes this recipe and said the doggies love it!
Sounds good enough to eat myself!

Ginger Doggie Bones

3 c all purpose flour
3 c whole wheat flour
1 c molasses
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c water
2 tsp. cinnamon
4 TBS. ground ginger
1 tsp. cloves

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Roll out dough on a floured surface 1/4" thick.
Cut into bone shapes with cookie cutter (or just cut strips)
Place on ungreased baking sheet. 325 degrees 30 min.
Maya815
Just Whelped

Postby BigDogBuford » March 27th, 2011, 3:45 pm

For the Pretty Inna's Sweet Treats there's a typo. It says 1/2 milk. Is that supposed to be 1/2 cup milk?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 27th, 2011, 6:10 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:For the Pretty Inna's Sweet Treats there's a typo. It says 1/2 milk. Is that supposed to be 1/2 cup milk?

Thanks! I pride myself on proofreading, and didn't proof my own stuff...lol.

Should be 1/2 cup milk...yup!

TheRedQueen

Postby Ohiodogtrainers » March 31st, 2011, 1:15 pm

Dukes_mom wrote:Well I don't have any cookies, but I've made these pup cakes
http://home.comcast.net/~kittycatfurbal ... cakes.html

Here is how mine turned out. You could probably get a icing bag and make them have a swirly top.

Yum!!! Those look great. I decided to throw a random few things together because I'm too lazy to go to the store right now.I mixed Peanut butter, apple and cinnamon oatmeal, soy milk, flour, and baking soda. I tested them on my fur children today and they seem to be a hit! I took pics of my adventure.

http://michellelovesdogs.com/home-made- ... t-attempt/
Ohiodogtrainers
Just Whelped

Return to Nutrition & Health