First Swim!!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 8th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Took Tess and Jack up to Kueka Lake today. Tess has never seen water larger than her water bowl before. She ran to the water and waded like she was born to it. I threw the ball and she flew after it and Jack through the water, got out over her head, swam back, befuddled. Every time she went out, she would get to where she was chest deep, feel around with her feet, then take the plunge in and swim a bit. But the actually taking the ball out of the water had her stumped. I tossed it a foot off shore, and she stood over it, alternately trying to bite it without getting her face wet, and pushing it under with her foot. She finally snagged it by the fuzz! We will have to work on THAT at home.

Poor Jack is so skinny and has such thin fur he about froze his tail off! (Not that this stopped him from barking at me to throw the ball again!)Tess didn't seem fazed by the water temp.

Wish I got pics, but trying to manage two dogs on leash(one who thought she was in the Iditerod), two tennis balls, and a bait bag was more than enough! Next time I will bring the toy bag so I can carry more stuff!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Asta » May 8th, 2006, 2:34 pm

Sounds like both a wonderful and hilarous trip! I was clearly envisioning the pooches and the ordeals they went through :) Next time, bring the camera too.

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby cheekymunkee » May 8th, 2006, 2:50 pm

That sounds fun!!! My three would rather sit in the car than get in the water.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 8th, 2006, 3:03 pm

That does sound fun! I can't wait to get Inara in the water this summer!
Good thing you explained why there were no pics - I was going to berate you! :hammer:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Jenn » May 8th, 2006, 3:20 pm

Sounds like fun!! I can't wait to get back to the creek myself.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Purple » May 8th, 2006, 8:24 pm

My girls can't wait for the pool to open. They are such little waterbugs!
Purple
I live here

Postby Jesseca » May 9th, 2006, 4:31 pm

I hope Summer likes water, we go to the river all the time.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 9th, 2006, 6:24 pm

Sounds like the pond will be full at the bullympics!

I took Tallulah and Jack to a client's today for a swim in thier pond. Tallulah cannot swim, she sinks like a stone, so she has a life vest she wears. All last year we coaxed her into the water, and just at the end she started really realizing she could swim with her vest.

Well today she jumped in like a fish, fist time of the year. She went out 50 feet a few times after balls like a pro, and lots of little 20 foot swims. She had a blast, and is now pooped! Who knows, maybe I WILL get the only bull terrier dockdog title!!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby PittieLove » May 9th, 2006, 6:36 pm

my dog loves the water too :D
im glad to see another water loving pit bull!!!! Must have had a blast!
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Postby pitbullforever » May 9th, 2006, 8:06 pm

sounds like you had a lot of fun i hope that if i adopt boy boy that he likes water
pitbullforever
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Romanwild » May 9th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Kueka Lake....isn't that near Utica or is it a finger lake?

I "taught" Dreyfus how to swim last year after sinking to the bottom Kueka lake near Utica. He loves it especially after running a few miles.

I have yet to test Diamond but look forward to it.

WARNING!:

Pit Bulls sink. So get a vest or a really long leash. If they go out to far and get tired they will drop like a rock and they might drown. It's happend. :o
Romanwild
I live here

Postby bridge city bullies » May 9th, 2006, 8:58 pm

Our little Maya loves swimming, but I think it causes her brain to turn off - she probably would swim until she sank! We have to lure her in by throwing little rocks just out of her reach until she gets to shore. Needless to say, we can't take her for walks anywhere that there is water nearby or the walk is over - we just have sit & watch her swim & bite the water :|
bridge city bullies
Just Whelped

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 9th, 2006, 10:23 pm

Tess swam well. She is pretty cautious though. Tallulah sinks like a rock-she goes just like the titanic-butt first, then she she starts listing, then down she goes. Maybe I will get Tess a life vest too, just to be safe. Thanks for the warning. Swimming is such good exercise, I hate to give it up. So what if everyone laughs because I have dogs who can't swim?

I am thinking of writing a children's story, "The Dog Who Couldn't Swim." True story about overcoming initial failures and trying again. Think anyone will buy it? She is really cute, and other BT stories sold pretty well!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 9th, 2006, 10:23 pm

I'd buy it!
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 9th, 2006, 11:27 pm

Yeah, it's on the list!

Oh, Roman, Kueka is the finger lake between Cayuga and Canandaigua. Penn Yann is at the top of it. Utica is pretty far away. I looked on mapquest and didn't see another Kueka lake.
:|
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 10th, 2006, 12:43 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:Tess swam well. She is pretty cautious though. Tallulah sinks like a rock-she goes just like the titanic-butt first, then she she starts listing, then down she goes. Maybe I will get Tess a life vest too, just to be safe. Thanks for the warning. Swimming is such good exercise, I hate to give it up. So what if everyone laughs because I have dogs who can't swim?

I am thinking of writing a children's story, "The Dog Who Couldn't Swim." True story about overcoming initial failures and trying again. Think anyone will buy it? She is really cute, and other BT stories sold pretty well!

You never know unless you try! I think it would be a great story!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » May 10th, 2006, 8:20 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:Yeah, it's on the list!

Oh, Roman, Kueka is the finger lake between Cayuga and Canandaigua. Penn Yann is at the top of it. Utica is pretty far away. I looked on mapquest and didn't see another Kueka lake.
:|

It' some kind of indian name. Michelle's parents have a cottage there.

I love the fingerlakes. WINE COUNTRY! :wine:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 11th, 2006, 8:25 am

Hey, you ever want to hit the wine trails let me know. We have a massive house, and are about 10-20 minutes away from probably 10 wineries. I am not a wine drinker but my husband really is, and he would love company tasting, and I can drive :D
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Romanwild » May 11th, 2006, 10:45 am

A DD and a place to stay! WOO HOO! :o

I think Michelles lake is Cayuta. :?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Devin » May 15th, 2006, 1:31 am

Sounds like fun. Me and Dante can't wait to go camping ( I am trying to talk my parents into going this weekend). We are definately have to go swiming soon Dante just loves to swim.
Devin
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Pit Bull Talk