Simon

Postby amalie79 » March 16th, 2011, 7:46 pm

It's sort of hard to know where to begin-- I picked Simon from his litter at 6 weeks old, too early, almost 16 years ago. He was asleep and I assumed he'd be a quiet calm little guy. Of course, I was wrong. He was every bit the ball of energy you'd expect from a lab mix puppy. He was snow white, with a solid black nose and eyeliner.

I'll admit that we did a lot of things wrong with him. I'd have done almost everything differently if I could do it over again. But one thing for sure, he loved me. He was a one owner dog, and I was It. He followed me around and wanted to be with me all the time. Even today, before we took him in, he always wanted to see where I was.

He's not been in great shape the last couple of years, but we've managed to keep him comfortable and relatively happy. Over the last week, though, he's been on a steady decline. He hasn't really wanted--or seemed able-- to eat. Last night he was breathing hard, walking against the walls to stay standing, and lying completely still while everything went on around him. He hasn't been quite himself for a while, but last night he told me that he was tired of this and that he's done.

So this morning I made him a turkey sandwich that he loved every single bite of. I laid on the kitchen floor with him, snuggled in his bed, and took him in to the vet's office to let him go. He was just ready.

Caring for him and trying to make up for all that I did wrong had become a way of life for me. I am 31 years old and Simon has been part of my life for more than half of that. It's like losing a piece of myself and I know already that I am going to be so lost.

I love you, bud. I'm sorry I couldn't have done more for you. And I already miss you so, so much.

The way I think of him.
Greeting River on her first night with us.
Deciding maybe being inside has its perks.
My little lamb.
Being a senior has also its perks...like riding shotgun.
Being silly
Today.
(explodingdog.com)
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » March 16th, 2011, 8:02 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this, I can only imagine how it must feel to lose something that's been a huge part of your life for so long. =( Even with any mistakes you may have made, Simon had an amazing life with you, better than a lot of dogs get. *hugs* Plus he had a long life, with his favorite person.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 16th, 2011, 8:08 pm

So, so sorry...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » March 16th, 2011, 8:18 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. :(
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 16th, 2011, 8:27 pm

I'm so sorry, Amalie. Sounds like Simon had an amazing life with you. RIP handsome boy... :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » March 16th, 2011, 8:32 pm

RIP Simon. I'm so sorry.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » March 16th, 2011, 8:39 pm

I am so sorry...Simon was just gorgeous. I am crying for your pain because I understand it well.

Good bye, Simon. :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » March 16th, 2011, 8:52 pm

I am so sorry. We walked the same pathway today. I feel your pain firsthand.

RIP sweet Simon. Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Pit♥bull » March 16th, 2011, 8:56 pm

R.I.P.Simon
rainbow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby copperlegend » March 16th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Rest in peace, handsome Simon

(I have to say, that explodingdog comic brought me to tears... so simple yet so very true)
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 16th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Rest well sweet Simon.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby AllAmericanPUP » March 16th, 2011, 10:33 pm

RIP Simon. :(
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby pitsnok » March 16th, 2011, 10:55 pm

Oh Sweet Simon... What a wonderful tribute to such a beautiful boy. He looks like he was so gentle...a wise soul.

I'm so Sorry Amalie. :hug3:
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » March 16th, 2011, 11:53 pm

I am 31 years old and Simon has been part of my life for more than half of that. It's like losing a piece of myself and I know already that I am going to be so lost.

It's really hard when you think about how they raised you. I mean, on the one hand you raised them and cared for them from puppyhood into adulthood... but when you really think about it, they are the ones raising us and taking care of us.

It is never easy to lose a friend whether you only have a few years behind you, or several. It totally sucks and I'm sorry. Simon was well loved and you have to know that he knew that.

:hug3:

The pain is absolutely horrible but hopefully as the hours turn to days, and days to weeks, you'll be able to look back on the good memories that you made together. In time it won't hurt so much and will eventually bring a smile to your face rather than tears.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Jenn » March 17th, 2011, 12:06 am

:( I am so sorry. RIP Simon
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby pocketpit » March 17th, 2011, 1:09 am

Simon, what a beautiful dog you were. RIP :(
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » March 17th, 2011, 2:43 am

I'm so very sorry.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby CinderDee » March 17th, 2011, 3:14 am

I'm so sorry. He was a gorgeous dog. :(

RIP Simon...
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » March 17th, 2011, 8:30 am

***tears*** I'm so sorry to hear about Simon...I don't even have words right now for you...just lots of love and hugs.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TinaMartin » March 17th, 2011, 1:33 pm

RIP Simon. :(
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Next

Return to Our Departed Friends