The best kind of love

Post your pics and vids here.

Postby amalie79 » March 15th, 2011, 9:53 am

I fell asleep reading last night. When I woke up at about 2:30am to turn off the light, I saw this:

Simon sleeping between the dog beds, with Miss Kiara sleeping on top of him. They've been together for about 14 years, and for most of that time, Simon was her only friend since she wouldn't tolerate being handled. She loves him so much. She hasn't been this cuddly with him for a while; but the last week or so, she's been extra lovey, and Simon's been having an extra hard time. He's starting to refuse to take his pills, and we're so far eating Alpo and Pedigree. It's really tough. And seeing how much this neurotic little cat loves him is making this whole thing even tougher.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » March 15th, 2011, 9:58 am

Awwww

Cats and Dogs are so cute together...

BTW welcome to the crap dog food club. You gotta figure at 14 junk food should be a necessity :p
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amalie79 » March 15th, 2011, 10:07 am

Yeah. He'll be 16 years old this summer, if he makes it. He's having a harder time getting around and his incisors are either gone or so worn down that he's having a hard time picking up his food; the chunky Alpo and Pedigree on a plate seems to be good. Whatever makes him happy. I didn't know much about doggie dental hygiene until a few years ago; we were always told to give them dry food and rawhides and that's it. I come from a place where no one brushes their dog's teeth and people look at me like I'm insane if I say I do it. I know now. And I feel terrible for it, though I do have to remember his teeth weren't really meant to go 16 years, and it's only been in the last 2 that they've been bad and given him bad breath. Never a whiff of doggie breath from this guy for 14 years. That's alright in my book, but he's having a hard time now between that and the arthritis.

He's plateaued for now, but anymore decrease in quality of life, and we'll have to start thinking about what to do. I told him he has to tell me when he's ready.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 15th, 2011, 10:45 am

What a sweet pic.

I feel your pain...Rip has been having a bit more trouble this week...his breathing has been a bit labored at times, and he's been slightly more shaky. But then he leaps into the kitchen to tell me that he's hungry...so he keeps me guessing.

gentle hugs to Simon
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amalie79 » March 15th, 2011, 10:55 am

Thanks. And hugs to Mr. Rip, too.

Of course, I was crying coming home from the store last night thinking it's about his time-- I think other animals know, and Kiara has been so attentive-- but then he's there waiting for me at the door. And he galloped behind me to go outside. And licked all the gravy off his plate. I think some of his trouble has been because he hasn't had his dasuquin for a few doses-- I usually hide it in his food, but he's been eating so little this week. I made him take the pill today, though, dammit!

It's just hard to know.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 15th, 2011, 1:37 pm

What a sweet picture! :heartbeat:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » March 15th, 2011, 3:55 pm

Simon and his girlfriend are adorable together. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amalie79 » March 16th, 2011, 9:17 am

Well, it's time.

I am completely gutted. I am 31 years old and picked him out when I was 15. It's like losing part of who I am.

I'm glad I got this picture of the lovebirds, though. :heartbeat:

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 16th, 2011, 10:29 am

amalie79 wrote:Well, it's time.

I am completely gutted. I am 31 years old and picked him out when I was 15. It's like losing part of who I am.

I'm glad I got this picture of the lovebirds, though. :heartbeat:

*tears*
*hugs*
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » March 16th, 2011, 10:08 pm

amalie79 wrote:I am completely gutted. I am 31 years old and picked him out when I was 15. It's like losing part of who I am.

No. It is losing part of who you are... but PART of who you are... not who[/i ] you are. All of the good things and bad things in your life make you who you are, Simon is part of that.

You'll adapt to him being gone from your life, and you have beautiful photos of him to remember him by. But I would encourage you to remember his bad points too. That's what made him [i]him
. After my Mordred passed, my friend Katie wrote a poem for me - "I am a Bad Cat" because he was a bad cat. Now his behavior makes me laugh, but it was (and still is) bad behavior. Ruined floors, ruined wood work, a scar on my foot from his claws.

It's their "bad" things that make them who they are. I miss my Mordred, and I have to admit that I am crying for him now... but he was who he was. I should still have him - ruining my furniture, my wood work, my floors and beating up poor Princess Ruby.

You'll be ok, you'll adapt, but you'll hurt when you think of him, and that's ok. Don't let anyone tell you to "just get past it."
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amalie79 » March 16th, 2011, 10:37 pm

mnp13 wrote:
amalie79 wrote:I am completely gutted. I am 31 years old and picked him out when I was 15. It's like losing part of who I am.

No. It is losing part of who you are... but PART of who you are... not who[/i ] you are. All of the good things and bad things in your life make you who you are, Simon is part of that.

You'll adapt to him being gone from your life, and you have beautiful photos of him to remember him by. But I would encourage you to remember his bad points too. That's what made him [i]him
. After my Mordred passed, my friend Katie wrote a poem for me - "I am a Bad Cat" because he was a bad cat. Now his behavior makes me laugh, but it was (and still is) bad behavior. Ruined floors, ruined wood work, a scar on my foot from his claws.

It's their "bad" things that make them who they are. I miss my Mordred, and I have to admit that I am crying for him now... but he was who he was. I should still have him - ruining my furniture, my wood work, my floors and beating up poor Princess Ruby.

You'll be ok, you'll adapt, but you'll hurt when you think of him, and that's ok. Don't let anyone tell you to "just get past it."

Definitely. Thank you. And he had PLENTY of bad points. lol We all do.

It's his bad points that have taught me so much-- I'm not sure I'd have sought out ways of working with dogs besides the ones I've always known, or that I'd have the soft spot for sensitive scaredy pups. It's his bad points and my screw-ups that make me more capable of helping Robin with her issues.

It's been strange, and my life is going to change 180º. I hadn't really realized how all-consuming caring for him had become. When my father passed away it was devastating, as well as a huge relief. He had been fighting cancer and he was losing and he was ready. This was similar. Simon had been hanging on and fighting for so long. And now he was done.

I miss him. Feeding them all was weird. River's not barking like usual and she's sleeping in his bed. Everyone's confused. I've cried all day. But this was the best decision for him; and I have the best and worst of him to carry with me forever. :)

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby pitsnok » March 16th, 2011, 11:04 pm

amalie79 wrote:
It's been strange, and my life is going to change 180º. I hadn't really realized how all-consuming caring for him had become. When my father passed away it was devastating, as well as a huge relief. He had been fighting cancer and he was losing and he was ready. This was similar. Simon had been hanging on and fighting for so long. And now he was done.

I miss him. Feeding them all was weird. River's not barking like usual and she's sleeping in his bed. Everyone's confused. I've cried all day. But this was the best decision for him; and I have the best and worst of him to carry with me forever. :)

This says so much about you...about your heart, and how much you loved him. I have so much respect for you...for being so selfless and doing what you knew was right for your sweet boy, no matter how much it hurts you.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » March 30th, 2011, 7:45 pm

:groupHug:
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Return to Gallery and Cinema