Kitens! Hope it's not OFF Topic

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby shady-angel » March 12th, 2011, 3:49 am

Hey all long time no spell,
I'm starting to get better dealing with the fact that I will have to wait till it's more "appropriate" for me to get my next dog. :mad2: cant have a dog at new house but am allowed a cat.

Anyway, I've just joined a cat colony rescue group just near my town, I rang to offer my assistance.
If they needed any volunteers to help at the rescue? She explained to me that, they need all the help they can get. As they haven't been going long but they have rescued, fostered and homed over 135 cats and kittens in one smallish town. :nono:
They asked me if I'd foster kittens? Well that was it. :mrgreen:
I have my old dog cage inside lined with newspaper, fluffy beds and a litter box, Gotta get bowls and stuff tomorrow.

I am getting 4 very wild 6 week old kittens! Yay. :confetti:
I have missed animal contact like a drug, that's why I why I still walk and wash 5 dogs all different breeds,

One red nosed pit female 'Sasha' approx 7 yrs old "has import papers from Aussie, Queen of drama.
A pit mixed staff male 'boxta' 2yrs old can jump anything!
A Jack Russel terrier 'King', nippy little bugger,
Rottweiler 'Lycan' 1 year old goof ball, and Denny a cavalier king Charles 9 months old, bundle of fluff. I will get pics when I get my shyte sorted <am I allowed to cuss?>
Just had op on my back 2 days ago very sore, 5 weeks no smoking! :dance:

Thanks for listening to my rambling Angie. :neener:
shady-angel
Kiwi

Postby iluvk9 » March 12th, 2011, 6:53 am

Well, good luck the the little cherubs!

A feral kitten rescuer I know has a "knack" for dealing with them. From what I have seen at the shelter, where they trapped, spayed and released the adults (and sometimes adopted out the kittens) they can be QUITE a handful. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby shady-angel » March 12th, 2011, 7:43 pm

Looking forward to it! Probably come out worse for wear with scratched hands, but I'm used to pain. :nono:
Excited ! :)
That's what this place does basically.
Thanks, Angie.
shady-angel
Kiwi

Postby iluvk9 » March 13th, 2011, 7:01 am

Get photos of them!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amalie79 » March 13th, 2011, 9:54 am

Exciting! I was the neighborhood cat lady when I was about 7 years old-- at one point we had 17 cats living on our porch because I kept feeding stray mothers and then ending up taking care of the kittens.

We've socialized several feral litters just in the last few years. It's a lot of work, but really it just requires a lot of patience. Being present and being patient. They may never be lap cats, but they can turn into real love bugs with time. My mother has one now who is so, so sweet-- doesn't like to be held, but is a real lover with people and with her dog-- and he was one that we couldn't even get near. We were really afraid we'd never get him adoptable. Instead, he's so sweet that she kept him!

Good luck-- and do post pictures! Trust me, there's not much in this world that makes you feel better than making a breakthrough with a feral cat.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 13th, 2011, 10:06 am

My Booth cat was a semi-feral kitten...he was one of 98 cats/kittens pulled from a barn at the Bowie race track, here in MD. He spent the first six months hiding from me...never allowing me to get near him, much less touch him. (we had to trap him in the house for his vet visit).

Now, over a year later...he loves to be petted, he loves the dogs and cats...and will actually show himself to strange people now too!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby SisMorphine » March 13th, 2011, 12:17 pm

When I was in the 5th grade we lived in an apartment complex in between houses, and there was a big feral cat colony that lived out back. There was one adorable calico kitten, and when my mom mentioned it to my aunt my aunt said she HAD to have it. So my mom spent about 3 months gaining the kitten's trust, and then finally captured her. She took her to the vet, where she stayed in quarantine for a few days, and got her vax and spayed and all of that. When my mom said to my aunt "The vet calls her a tortoise shell calico." My aunt said "Oh? Not a patchwork? Forget it then."

SOOOOOO we ended up with a second cat. It took her a few months to come out of her shell, and though up through the day she died she was still a little nervous around strangers, she became the MOST snuggly cuddly sweet adorable cat ever. She was more like a dog (as our other cat was a REAL cat . . . nasty bitch ;) ). Her tail was always in the shape of a question mark, and she would chat with you, and snuggle on your lap. If you were eating popcorn she would gently slap your face until you shared.

Our biggest problem was that we found keeping her inside was NOT an option. Her want to be outdoors was intense, so she was an indoor/outdoor cat. Due to this, one day she crawled into my uncle's RV and he drove home (over two hours away) and when he opened the doors she found her way out. We thought that was the end of her. Well three months later there she was, meowing at the back door, very dirty, covered in ticks, and thin. But she was back home. Even though she loved the outdoors, she knew where she belonged.

She was a huge character and seriously SUCH a super snuggly sweetheart. It was BEYOND rewarding from capturing her, to dealing with her early months of fearfulness, to then having the most wonderful cat anyone could ask for . . . yup. You're going to have FUN with these kittens!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 13th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Our biggest problem was that we found keeping her inside was NOT an option. Her want to be outdoors was intense, so she was an indoor/outdoor cat. Due to this, one day she crawled into my uncle's RV and he drove home (over two hours away) and when he opened the doors she found her way out. We thought that was the end of her. Well three months later there she was, meowing at the back door, very dirty, covered in ticks, and thin. But she was back home. Even though she loved the outdoors, she knew where she belonged.

I thought this might be a problem with Booth...but he's never even gone *near* the door...much less tried to get outside. lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby shady-angel » March 13th, 2011, 7:17 pm

Thanks all, I only have my phone as a camera and the shots are so pixalated it's not see able. :(
But can ask a friend for his camera.
sis morphine just a unrelated question are yo a chronic pain patient as well?
Thanks Angie.
shady-angel
Kiwi

Postby iluvk9 » March 14th, 2011, 5:53 am

shady-angel wrote: sis morphine just a unrelated question are yo a chronic pain patient as well?

Are you asking her because of her forum name or because she is a pain in the ass? 8) I always thought she had that name because of a song she liked. :|

(And I DO love Alyssa...) :wink:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » March 14th, 2011, 7:10 am

iluvk9 wrote:Are you asking her because of her forum name or because she is a pain in the ass? 8)
:lmao:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 14th, 2011, 2:51 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
shady-angel wrote: sis morphine just a unrelated question are yo a chronic pain patient as well?

Are you asking her because of her forum name or because she is a pain in the ass? 8) I always thought she had that name because of a song she liked. :|

Jerk ;)

And yes, I guess I am a chronic pain patient (though I've never used the term to describe myself, it really does makes sense after 11 years of dealing with this). Though the forum name is actually my favorite Rolling Stones song and has nothing to do with my pain ;)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby iluvk9 » March 14th, 2011, 3:35 pm

8) I don't think I have been called a jerk in a long time.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SisMorphine » March 14th, 2011, 3:41 pm

iluvk9 wrote:8) I don't think I have been called a jerk in a long time.

You're welcome ;)
SisMorphine

Postby iluvk9 » March 14th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Bwahahahaha!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby shady-angel » March 16th, 2011, 2:02 am

iluvk9 wrote:

I'm asking her because of her forum name, sorry didn't think about music. :D
shady-angel
Kiwi

Return to Off-Topic