Nail trimmer?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Amstaff » March 7th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Can someone recommend a good quality nail trimmer. I am confused as to which type to get. Do you like the scissors or the guillotine? I hear good and bad about both. The green ones at Pet Smart look wimpy to me. Rebel has long quicks and doesn't like the sound of the grinder so I want to buy a good quality trimmer and be done with it. Thanks!
Amstaff
Just Whelped

Postby plebayo » March 7th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Resco used to be a really good brand of guillotine trimmers. They don't hold up as long as they used to, but since you're only trimming your dog's nails [not several dogs a day] I think they should hold up just fine.

The instructions say to hold them this way:
http://www.teclausa.com/resco/images/PF ... DELUXE.jpg

I hold them this way:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... AA300_.jpg

And everyone I know holds them the same way I do, it how I was taught to use them. The thing about the long quicks is you need to trim once a week, and you need to expose the quick, so you need to trim the nail back, and trim the edges off so that the quick makes contact with the ground and wants to recede. This is of course without cutting the quick. It's hard to explain but when I trim their nails I make at least 3 cuts, I do a straight cut of the tip, and then trim the left and right edge. It's really hard to explain lol. If you at least take the tips off once a week that will help get the nails shorter without quicking your dog.

I've used the scissor type nail trimmers, like these:
http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/images ... immers.jpg

I'm not really a fan, they're just bulky.

I've used these:
http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/91/6f/clip ... 20X120.jpg

They aren't bad, but I rip the guard off because it gets in the way. I think these make it too easy to take too much off on accident.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby FAB dogs » March 7th, 2011, 6:26 pm

I prefer the scissor type. Don't know if it's because I'm lefthanded or what, but they just seem easier for me to angle them.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » March 8th, 2011, 3:54 am

I prefer the scissor type as well. I feel like it might be easier to split/splinter the nail or not cut as accurately with the guillotine. I have tried the guillotine but admittedly, not a lot.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Amstaff » March 8th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Thanks everybody. I found a new groomer today that I actually worked with when my plant closed in 2001. She did a really good job, took the time to show me exactly what she was doing and what I needed to do to get and maintain control of the situation. I found out I could get a really nice set of scissor type trimmers that she used at a Vet in town. It did not have a brand name on it but it's all stainless, is large enough for the thick claws and has orange handles. She trims many, many dogs with these and they hold up.

My previous groomer was "afraid" to cut the nails any closer and they were just not getting under control even with my manual filing every 3 days to try and get the quick to retreat. She said if you ever cut the quick, the dog will never let you touch them again. Honestly, she had me scared to cut them back any further. She is a very caring person as well but sometimes ya just have to move along to find a better program.

Rebel has had a really rough past, but now he is in my loving, caring home. I have wall to wall carpet and he absolutely stays inside other than his 3-4 walks a day. I keep him on the pavement then but it's just not enough to wear down the nails to any significance.
Amstaff
Just Whelped

Postby BigDogBuford » March 8th, 2011, 3:46 pm

I also use the scissor type with the orange handles. My dogs have really big, thick toenails and those are the only things that work well for me.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » March 9th, 2011, 4:26 am

It is important not to quick them(it hurts!), but there are certain things you can look for so you know you're getting close, really, its a fine line. But no one said you couldn't clip a nail twice(a little to see where you're at, and then a little more if you can), or cut it off flat and then trim the "corners" as already mentioned.

Treats always help with nail trimming ;) This is one of those things where I think its absolutely acceptable to "sweeten the deal" with treats every single time, if necessary. I mean, it is unpleasant, and since we can't explain that its necessary, why not a little bribery? :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » March 9th, 2011, 4:21 pm

Amstaff wrote:She said if you ever cut the quick, the dog will never let you touch them again.

Untrue. I've quicked Ruby a few times, and she just yelps, gives me dirty looks and lets me finish. I even quicked Riggs once, and he get pissed, but with some treats and some effort, I can clip them again.

Many dogs are very forgiving if you take some time to work on it.

R-E-L-A-X
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Nutrition & Health