Do dogs retaliate?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 8th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Last week in class, Inara and a male Corgi had a minor snark-fest. He has proximity issues but his owner isn't real good about policing that, so Chip the Corgi went after Inara. She snarked back but it was half-hearted and she was easily redirected. No big deal, it happens.

A little later it was our turn to do a little Rally course and we had a stretch of heeling down the side that Chip was sitting on. I was paying attention to Inara and she was doing beautifully, until we got alongside Chip. She was on my left, and Chip was on my right, probably 3-4 feet away from me. Inara went from beautiful attention heel to roaring and lunging with intent at Chip. I've never seen Ginger, my instructor, move so fast to run interference! It wasn't necessary, as my ninja-like reflexes yanked Inara about 4' backwards before she had gone more than a couple steps. No harm, no foul. Inara and I had a little Come To Jesus meeting and then began our course again. Heeling past Chip again, she gave him a little glance but that was it.

Ginger said Chip hadn't even looked at her - his mom was shoveling treats into his mouth to keep him from starting crap with Inara! So she wasn't provoked at all by him. Ginger thinks she was maybe retaliating for him snarking at her earlier. I guess I've never thought about dogs retaliating, but I'm not sure what else could have caused her outburst. These days, her snarks are mainly towards females, and in general very half-hearted, like she's just trying to out-bitch them. But there was intent towards Chip.

Thoughts?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Tubular Toby » March 8th, 2011, 12:52 pm

This is a little off topic, but I think it relates on a deeper level. And actually, makes me want to read Patricia McConnell's For the Love of a Dog again, haha. My roommate and I were discussing the other day things our dogs do that seem to suggest they are capable of spite. :lol: Toby has a way of asking to get into my bed by resting his head on the edge of it, looking at me out of the corner of his eye and wagging his tail. If I deny him, he goes to his crate (also in my bedroom) and starts huffing and puffing, turning, pulling his blankets up, fluffing his pillows before finally laying down with a huge sigh. He doesn't do this if he goes to his bed on his own (which is often), the only time he makes such a scene is when I won't let him in my bed.

As far as other dogs are concerned, it seems to me that once Toby has had an experience with a dog during a day, he is more likely to snap back into that mindset very quickly. I wouldn't say that Chip had to do anything to provoke Inara, she knew exactly which dog he was and was perhaps she decided to take initiative the next time she was near him to keep him away, since he had snarked first last time. Sort of a "you started it last time, this time stay away from me." I am by no means an expert, haha, but this is what I see it as.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 8th, 2011, 1:00 pm

Blue had a similar incident with a friend's dog. The other dog went after him initially, and Blue seemed to be taken by surprise. A small scuffle ensued, we broke it up immediately, no blood. Maybe about 40 minutes later we took them out again (leashed and not able to get near each other), and though her dog was in total avoidance of Blue (as they had a come to jesus moment afterwards), Blue, who is normally not reactive, was ALL ready to duke it out. I don't necessarily think it was a moment of retaliation, just more of a "Well you're not going to catch me by surprise this time because I'm going to get you first."

But as far as spite . . . I'm pretty certain that Wally was capable of that. LOL
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Tubular Toby » March 8th, 2011, 1:22 pm

SisMorphine wrote: I don't necessarily think it was a moment of retaliation, just more of a "Well you're not going to catch me by surprise this time because I'm going to get you first."

Exactly what I was trying to say. It's been a long week. haha
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 8th, 2011, 1:41 pm

My Inara certainly remembers people and dogs that she doesn't like...and she's quick to retaliate in some cases. The other dogs, they just don't seem to *care* about it as much as she does.

After Vesta got the better of her, she was more than willing to go for a third try.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BigDogBuford » March 8th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Wilma bit Buford a couple of times and Buford definitely took advantage for a bit of 'payback' when he had the chance.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » March 8th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Yes, I think they do. Riggs grabbed a female JRT out of nowhere for no reason... except for the previous 6 weeks the intact male JRT in our flyball class had been screaming at him non-stop. The little female was the first JRT that was in range to him. He did not hurt her, he just grabbed her coat and hung on. He didn't regrip when he had a mouthful of coat and not dog, and he let go the second I told him to. Obviously if he wanted to kill an 8 year old JRT he could have in less than a second. He just saw his opportunity to get at a JRT, any JRT and took it.

When Ruby got attacked at the dog show, it was a year before she didn't go immediately on the offensive on sight of any large furry dog (Goldens were a big problem)- she was attacked by an adult male Leomburger, don't get much bigger and furrier than that!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » March 8th, 2011, 2:47 pm

yes. not so intentionally as people do it.

Oscar is able at this point in his life to have some normal doggy relationships. There are in particular, 3 dogs in our neighborhood that "ask for it" in their behavior, and he WANTS to give it back. 3 W. highland white terriers have literally signed their own death warrant if he can ever get to them (crazy barkers, and now he crazy barks back :rolleyes2: ).

And then I look at him the other day with my friend's reactive/aggressive frenchies, they are totally instigators and since I was prepared and we were able to approach it differently, we have an entirely different response from him.

so yes, I do think they do, but not in the concious manner that people do.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » March 8th, 2011, 4:39 pm

It sorta falls into the category of "breed-profiling" that my dogs (and I know other dogs) fall into...which sounds like what Michelle said. Which is a bit off-topic...sorry Liz!

Rip had a bad experience with a rottweiler YEARS ago...and he hates them to this day...he really can't be around them without getting himself in trouble. Xander, Score and Inara HATE boxers, because they all play like idiots.

On the other hand, Score and Fig LOVE Aussies...and get excited around them...lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 8th, 2011, 5:45 pm

lol Inara hates herders generally, so I'm not surprised it was a Corgi that she went for.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby TheRedQueen » March 8th, 2011, 5:52 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:lol Inara hates herders generally, so I'm not surprised it was a Corgi that she went for.

:shock: How can one hate herders?

Now hating labs, that's understandable...lol

TheRedQueen

Postby BigDogBuford » March 8th, 2011, 6:19 pm

Lots of other dogs hate Boxers, too. Who wouldn't want to be boxed in the face? :|
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 8th, 2011, 6:28 pm

Inara loves Boxers - probably 'cause she plays like they do! But herders stare... :shock:

pitbullmamaliz

Postby TheRedQueen » March 8th, 2011, 8:48 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Inara loves Boxers - probably 'cause she plays like they do! But herders stare... :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: what's wrong with staring? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

TheRedQueen

Postby BigDogBuford » March 8th, 2011, 8:50 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
pitbullmamaliz wrote:Inara loves Boxers - probably 'cause she plays like they do! But herders stare... :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: what's wrong with staring? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ok, that actually made me laugh out loud for reals.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » March 9th, 2011, 4:14 am

heee heee.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Training & Behavior