Old Age Sucks!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby hugapitbull » March 6th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Trouble was laying here chatting with me (actually she is snoozing), and wanted me to let her PBT friends know she is still cancer free, but this aging thing just sucks.

Arthritis kicked in this winter in full force. She has gone from having some occasional minor mobility problems in July to some pretty major problems in the last 3-4 weeks. We are fighting hard for her and now have her on the max dosage of Rimadyl, Tramadol, Dasuquin, Missing Link, and Fish Oil Daily. We've had days when she just couldn't muster the energy to pull her tired bones up and move. I've pulled her from the kitchen to the bedroom a couple of times on a blanket. We thought at one point we would soon be making quality of life decisions, but did not want to do that until we had given Adequan a try,

She is on the loading dose and has had three injections. We are seeing minimal improvement, and are encouraged. I've been told it can take til the end of the loading dose to begin to see marked improvement so our fingers are crossed.

Her tail wag had been missing for a couple of weeks, but has now returned - it was music to our ears to hear that flop, flop on the bed or floor. She needs help getting out of the bed, and a good amount of time to get the bones moving, but once the momentum is going she does pretty well. The real unfortunate part is that it is the back leg on the amputation side that is giving her the big problem. Hopefully we will have cause for celebration in a few weeks.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 6th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Would it help to get her one of those harnesses so you can help support her as she walks around?

Give her some lovin's from me. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby airwalk » March 6th, 2011, 7:59 pm

Ah yes, I agree Shanna. We had an outdoor event yesterday and it was clear that Scooter was cold and not having his normal "fun". By the end of the event he was stiff and "stoved up". I really did not like seeing that.

Sending smooth lube thoughts to Trouble.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » March 6th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Sending many good thoughts to Trouble. I agree with her Old Age does suck!!
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby hugapitbull » March 6th, 2011, 8:54 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Would it help to get her one of those harnesses so you can help support her as she walks around?

I have one and it has been a lifesaver getting her in and out of bed. She refuses to sleep on the floor. For the most part she can still hop into bed, but I won't let her jump off anymore. She's had a pretty rough day today, but gets another injection in the morning.

This is a pretty bad picture of the harness, taken after she had been hopping about and it shifted, but you get the idea. The handle is great, you can lift with one hand and support with the other arm. I've had it for a while to get her in and out of the vehicle.

When I picked her up from the vet after her hematoma surgery, one of the young girls walked out to the car with me to help carry medications. I reached for the handle and lifted Trouble into the back of the SUV in one quick motion. The girls eyes got wide and she said "Oh, now I get it! Now I know what the handle is for"! I laughed all the way home.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Malli » March 6th, 2011, 9:48 pm

it really does suck getting old.

I think you can continue the injections up to once/weekly, so you may want to ask about that.
Eventually Oscar will be on our Canadian version, Cosequin
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » March 6th, 2011, 10:31 pm

what supplements do you have her on?

Sorry to hear that she's feeling bad, winter's almost over!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby hugapitbull » March 6th, 2011, 11:40 pm

mnp13 wrote:what supplements do you have her on?

Sorry to hear that she's feeling bad, winter's almost over!!

She's been on Dasuquin for about a month - I stopped the liquid glucosamine when I started the Dasuquin. 2400 units of Fish Oil w/Omega3 & 6, & Missing Link

I thought winter was about over, but it got cold again and wet. The cold/wet is really a bad combo for her.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2011, 12:59 am

Have you looked into MSM at all? That does wonders for my hip and toe, I know if I've missed even two days.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby CinderDee » March 7th, 2011, 8:18 am

I'm sorry to read this Shanna. :? Hopefully spring will be here soon. I have a lot of arthritis and this weather does me in too. Arthritis sucks!

I hope it stops raining and Trouble feels better soon. Come on Adequan!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby amalie79 » March 7th, 2011, 10:40 am

Simon would like to send a message to Trouble that he totally agrees!

He's been getting Adequan injections every 2 weeks. He was doing fine last week, and I was so busy that we missed it, but I'm seeing a real decline in the last 2 days, so off to the vet we go!

I know I've mentioned it other places, but adequan has been such a lifesaver. As has tramadol-- he's on the max dose of that, dasuquin with msm twice a day, max rimadyl, herbal bladder supplement, and pulse antibiotics for chronic UTIs. The vet said that at this point with Simon, fish oil is unlikely to make much difference. But I'm thinking about adding River's msm capsules to boost that up. I've started adding homecooked food to his kibble because I think the ol' sniffer is going.

To top it off, now he has Horner's syndrome with a droopy eye that occasionally makes him look like a zombie dog. And he wears a belly band (that is fashionable because I made it-- no regular run-of-the-mill diapers for my dog!).

Getting old sucks. Simon still tries to run to catch up with everyone else, is happy to see me come home, and loves getting his treats, so I'll keep doing everything I can for him. :)
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 7th, 2011, 11:36 am

Ripley agrees for the most part...but he does say that it has its perks...like getting to chew on big meaty bones at the flyball tournament this weekend while the younger dogs had to RUN. (he never loved flyball...so he's enjoying his retirement years)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » March 7th, 2011, 11:32 pm

mnp13 wrote:Have you looked into MSM at all? That does wonders for my hip and toe, I know if I've missed even two days.

The Dasuquin has MSM in it. 400 mg per pill and she gets two a day.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Malli » March 8th, 2011, 3:43 am

a couple helpful hints, keep her weight down and keep her lean (you probably already are), and if you can keep her active at all, this should help.

With Oscar I've made the commitment even just to walk him around the block at least once daily. I think between that and our switch to a different supplement, it has actually helped a lot. We also do easy hikes (like in parks where the trail is made into more of a walking trail), and if we don't go overboard, he really seems to enjoy them PLUS he doesn't suffer for it after (we've made that mistake too many times before!)

If I'm telling you stuff you already know then, :lol3:, good work!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » March 10th, 2011, 6:46 am

Mali, thank you for the suggestions. Her weight is good, I've been diligent since mid summer to keep her on the low scale. Bob is concerned, however, that this may have contributed to the problem. She has very little muscle mass left.

She hasn't been able to walk (hop) any distance since her amputation. We have a decent size yard and she would make a parameter check at least once daily. Now IF she makes it, it is a long process as she hops a bit and rests a bit. She just never had much stamina - now there is none. We are very discouraged at this point and are considering it may be time for quality of life decisions. We have to assist her more and more each day. Her rear leg on the amputation side is practically useless. I'm not sure we can make it for two more weeks of the loading dose of Adequan.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » March 10th, 2011, 6:57 am

Sending loving thoughts to OUR girl! And old age does suck...just ask Debby/Cheekymunkee. :wink:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 10th, 2011, 7:53 am

Lots of :goodthoughts: coming her way!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » March 10th, 2011, 9:06 am

Can you talk to an ortho vet about some PT exercises to build muscle? Xander's having the same problem...he's got two bad knees (ACL tears) which we didn't do surgery on because of his awful heart murmur. He's been getting along fine, but now he's losing muscle in those back legs...we're trying to do some PT with him...but it's hard. We feel your pain.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » March 10th, 2011, 1:36 pm

there are people that do massage, stretching and physical therapy. I did some with Oscar when he had biceps tendonitis/brusitis.

or maybe hydrotherapy?

would using one of her meals to coax her on a walk help?

Whatever decision you make, I'm sure you know whats best for her.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » March 10th, 2011, 7:46 pm

We are really in an isolated area for specialty veterinary care. No ortho, No PT, No acupuncture. No hydro therapy. The nearest care that isn't just general veterinary care, is 2 hours away.

At least she doesn't seem to be in pain, she still eats well, and is super alert.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk