SOB we have an aural hematoma

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Malli » March 4th, 2011, 2:57 pm

forgot to put, panic for Oscar is struggling, so sometimes he needs a bit of a shake and holler to stop flailing around, and he'll collect himself. I thought maybe I made him sound like biter :shock:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » March 4th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Poor Os... I hope he does well with the bandage. What an ordeal!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » March 5th, 2011, 7:21 am

Can we have another photo of him? :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BullyLady » March 5th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Pooor Oscar, I hope it works out this time!

Apparently we lucked out with Shelby's aural hematoma, it was about the size that Oscar's sounds like and we just left it (on the vet's advice after an exam). Her ear didn't crinkle up or anything. :|
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Malli » March 5th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Cathleen I think you really did luck out, from what I've read they rarely resolve on their own! I don't want him to have a crinkly ear :neutral:

As requested by Joyce... He had a break from the bandage overnight and this morning...

new collarmania collar, we got it the same day I discovered the hematoma, so I havent' taken any model shots yet :rolleyes2:

For those interested in the medical aspect of it
The pictures below show a small hole through part of the flesh at the tip of his ear, I don't find them graphic, but you have been warned!!!

The pocket is from the area where the hole is, to just before the ear meets the head, sort of above the tattoo, it doesn`t go down the whole width of the ear flap

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 5th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Such a handsome boy!

What's the tattoo?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby call2arms » March 5th, 2011, 4:10 pm

Awe, poor Os boy, he looks so pitiful in that 1st photo!

And that hole punch looks painful... Anythinh sill draining from there? Cause otherwise it looks like there's not much of an accumulation in the area, or close to the tattoo.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » March 5th, 2011, 7:10 pm

I just LOVE HIM. :heartbeat:

Coming from a "fainter", the ear didn't look as bad as I thought it would, but it still looks painful.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » March 5th, 2011, 9:18 pm

He's a pretty boy! I don't think his ear looks nearly as fat as Trouble's was. Hopefully this will take care of it.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Malli » March 6th, 2011, 4:04 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Such a handsome boy!

What's the tattoo?

The tattoo was a free ID tattoo from the spca when he got his low-cost neuter way back when.

call2arms wrote:Awe, poor Os boy, he looks so pitiful in that 1st photo!

And that hole punch looks painful... Anythinh sill draining from there? Cause otherwise it looks like there's not much of an accumulation in the area, or close to the tattoo.

Yep, still draining. I've pushed out a small amount of fluid and some air a couple times, mostly I see drainage on the telfa pads. The ear feels totally normal to me, right now....
Normally I'd want it to heal faster, but quite frankly I'm glad it seems to be healing slowly so I don't have to pick at it painfully to keep it open.
Call2arms -how do I not know your actual name?!- how long do you think it should take to heal?? The injury, not the drain hole....

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I just realized you guys rarely see "action" type shots of him, and must think he is this mild mannered old man :lol3:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » March 6th, 2011, 7:14 am

Action shots? We are just happy you even post photos of him, at this point. :rolleyes2:

:neener:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » March 6th, 2011, 1:42 pm

Aww I just wanna squeeze his cute face :)
Glad things are on the mend
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Malli » March 6th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Ok Techs/Call2arms

How do I bandage the head and the ear and not have it slip backwards and pull back the skin on the face and the head? I've used tape but that just makes it so the skin slips instead of the bandage material :doh:

I have been trying to leave out one ear but maybe this is my downfall? My dog looks of asian decent currently. :rolleyes2:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby madremissy » March 6th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Can you wrap him up like you did last time? Poor Oscar. Sending some good ear healing thoughts his way.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » March 6th, 2011, 9:38 pm

We had the same problem last time with the bandage, I guess maybe not so obvious from those pics.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » March 13th, 2011, 9:52 pm

update :

Still draining, has not filled back up, still wearing a bandage most of the time (with extreme drama :rolleyes2: ).
At this point if it doesn't refill quickly when the drain hole seals over (which is going to happen soon, the hole is getting quite small even with my cleaning and work to keep it open) I'll keep the bandage on until not this coming thurs, but the week after, and go from there.
If it fills back up, I guess we'll have to schedule surgery.

we'll see...
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » March 14th, 2011, 5:50 am

It sounds "better", right? Maybe it will drain completely and NOT fill up? Then no surgery. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » March 14th, 2011, 5:53 am

You are doing an amazing job fighting this thing. Hoping for you and for Oscar you have it beat.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Malli » March 14th, 2011, 3:40 pm

at this point -call me superstitious - I don't want to jinx anything. ;)
My own vet and a tech I know have both had positive comments on it so I find that encouraging. Thats as far as I'll go! ;)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » March 14th, 2011, 4:27 pm

:clap:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health