Lenny is worrying me

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » March 6th, 2011, 7:27 am

While we can all agree I am "overly involved" with my dogs every move...

The past three days he has been breathing weird. Sort of like he has been running and he is panting, short pants that are louder than normal. His breathing is faster, even when he is resting. I put my ear to his side and his heart seems to have the "right beat" compared to the other dogs. I don't think the dog den is too hot, because the heat is way down in the house, and he has the ceramic floor if he wants to cool off. But his nose and ears have been very warm.

Sometimes Darlene will be in the kitchen and hear him, and go investigate what he is doing. And he is just breathing louder.

He runs, barks and plays normally outside.

I will bring him in Monday to the Vet, but this is worrying me, since he is going to be 12 in July. :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » March 6th, 2011, 8:44 am

I just looked at his "Certificate of Pedigree"...I got a photocopy from his previous SOB owner. At the bottom, someone signed it on 3/12/98, and it states it was researched from the AKC Stud Book Registry.

It says at the top: Name: Keris Candy Man, BREED: Retriever (Golden), Breeder: JM Swantz. The WHELPED DATE is: December 13, 1996. That would mean he is 14????

Assume these are his real papers and he is actually Keris Candy Man.

WTF????
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » March 6th, 2011, 9:11 am

iluvk9 wrote: Assume these are his real papers and he is actually Keris Candy Man.

Now look what you've done - You have something else to worry about! :nono:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » March 6th, 2011, 9:53 am

8) Well, honestly, I don't care WHO the hell he is, because I know he is mine. Papers, no papers, 11 years old or 14.

But, geez....wouldn't it had been nice for the SOB original owner to have told the truth on SOMETHING in his freaking life?

His panting is still weird. It seems the "out breath" is the harder one. And he coughed two times this morning. Like he had something in his throat and was clearing it. They all have had bordetella vaccines and Lenny doesn't go anywhere other than the summer trip to the kennel. :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » March 6th, 2011, 10:59 am

I think a trip to the vet is warrented in this case. 14? Wow he's a tough one! Here's to many more years with him with minimal catcher's mask deployment!! :)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » March 6th, 2011, 11:02 am

I am going tomorrow to Vet unless he seems to be in "more" distress today, then I will take him to the E-Vet. That is why I got his papers together. In case he had to go in today, and they don't know him. Then I saw the whelping date. :rolleyes2:

His gums look nice and pink/red as usual.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » March 6th, 2011, 11:44 am

iluvk9 wrote:I am going tomorrow to Vet unless he seems to be in "more" distress today, then I will take him to the E-Vet. That is why I got his papers together. In case he had to go in today, and they don't know him. Then I saw the whelping date. :rolleyes2:

His gums look nice and pink/red as usual.

Sometimes dogs pant because they are painful. We had a crazy client who wanted to euth her dog because he was panting all the time, he was an older GSD with bad arthritis but his panting messed up her sleep schedule :crazy2:

Since he is getting up there maybe it's time to just re-evaluate him and make sure things are okay. It could be pain, it could be nerves, it could be a lot of different things but I don't think you're being overly cautious in having him seen because if it were to be something serious at least you're catching it right away.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » March 6th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Thanks, Suzanne.

I got a video of him breathing :giggle:. You can see his sides go up and down and hear him breath. Turn your speakers up. 8) The clicking is from me zooming in and out. I just cleaned his ears, so they are a little wet. He also has his new Labrador hair cut.

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/ ... 69204c.mp4
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BigDogBuford » March 6th, 2011, 12:35 pm

I agree with the panting due to pain...a lot of other and arthritic dogs will do that. I would also want to have his heart and lungs checked just to make sure there's nothing else going on. *hugs* and here's to hoping it's nothing!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby pocketpit » March 6th, 2011, 12:45 pm

He's a Golden so I'd take a trip to the vet asap. Not trying to worry you but you know Lenny best and if you are worried, then there's a good reason. Goldens have a propensity to some not so good things especially later in life. I'm hoping it's just because he's painful for some simple reason but I have to say that I would not wait to get him checked out even if it means you run to the ER.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » March 6th, 2011, 1:35 pm

Good thoughts for you and Lenny both! Hope he is ok
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Malli » March 6th, 2011, 2:47 pm

Hey Joyce :) Sorry about Lenny! I agree with other's thoughts - take him in now/today. The older they get, the more we should listen to our neurotic voices of worry ;)
Good thoughts for Lenny-Bo-Benny.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby FAB dogs » March 6th, 2011, 2:55 pm

I hate to be a downer, but this video reminds me of my husky Quinn during the last few weeks of his life. In addition to lymphoma, he was in heart failure - that was the cause of his rough breathing and panting. I don't know how big Lenny is, but to me his belly looks like it may be retaining fluid; another sign of heart failure. I'd definitely get him to the vet. There are some meds for dogs with congestive heart failure that can help prolong their life. Hoping for better news than that for you and Lenny!
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 6th, 2011, 3:05 pm

I've got nothing, but wanted to send lots of good thoughts his way! :goodthoughts:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hugapitbull » March 6th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Good Thoughts for Lenny (and you)! Hope the old guy has a speedy recovery. It just sucks when they get old.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby plebayo » March 6th, 2011, 3:41 pm

I definitely think he needs to be seen.

What does his color look like? Will he let you look at his gums? I agree he looks maybe a little bloated... my concern wouldn't be a heart issue though, my concern would be potentially a spleen problem. If his color is nice and pink I'd say he can wait until tomorrow, and if he's acting alright, eating, drinking, moving around. He doesn't seem to be 'labored' in terms of being in a crisis, but he is definitely pushing harder than he should be.

Sending tons of good thoughts!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby madremissy » March 6th, 2011, 4:35 pm

:hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby LMM » March 6th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Lots of good thoughts for Lenny Joyce :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby iluvk9 » March 6th, 2011, 7:32 pm

At e-vet for hours. Tomorrow I am bringing him to my Vet and at that point I will decide what his quality of life is. But it doesn't look promising.

xrays: Enlarged heart, enlarged spleen with very large mass on it, severe arthritis in spine, one lung is very small and not working, other lung is filled with liquid.

blood work: high WBC. That is all I remember. Had urine sample...don't remember results either.

She wanted to keep him overnite and do chest taps to remove liquid as it built up. That wasn't happening. He is home with me. I had her remove liquid from his lung. She got 200 ml out. He got lasix to help with next build up.

She suggested some echo something, sonograms, and other stuff. I will see what Dr. Adams says in the morning. I don't think there is going to be any good news tomorrow.

Just pray for Lenny, please.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » March 6th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Oh Joyce I am so sorry :hug3: :hug3:

I will be thinking of you all. Feel free to pm if you have any questions you think I may be able to answer.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health