Recommendations

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby amalie79 » February 23rd, 2011, 12:41 pm

I need to order the Control Unleashed book so that I can attempt to participate in the CU book group (or at the very least, be an informed stalker). It turns out I may actually get to do a lot of it. Robin doesn't start classes until first of April, and she'll be doing "basic" class, so she'll already know most of what we do. The trainer and I decided that even though she could probably do the actual training work of a more advanced class, she needs the socialization and practice in front of the other people and dogs. ANYWAY... I am FIVE CENTS short of free shipping. :cuss:

I wish there was a place to ask them to just round up the order. But since there's not, I'm going to order something else. If I have to pay a few more bucks, I at least want something in return.

I've decided to get a new treat dispensing toy for River (the lab) and I'm looking for suggestions.

We have regular Kongs and the Kong Wobbler. We also have the Dogzilla versions of both. The two things she loves the most are the Premier Waggle (a rubber dumbbell with hollow ends) and the Starmark Fun Ball (hollow rubber ball). She likes to sling treats out of the wobbler and use it for games of tug. She's getting really, really good at getting things out of the Fun Ball-- it's about the size of a tennis ball and very squishy, so she can just simply crush the treats if they're biscuits. Things aren't lasting very long in it; the nice thing about it, though, is it's been instrumental in teaching her not to bark at us for things, but instead to ask politely. She drops the ball at my feet, I pop in a treat and she's happy. We're slowly working on the duration of time between when she brings it and when I load it (or throw it, sometimes she just wants to play). I want her to learn to ask for things politely, but still remember that sometimes she can't have what she wants and still needs to behave and eventually she'll get what she wants.

Anyway, I'm looking for things in the $10 range. We have hardwood floors, so the hard plastic toys can be too loud-- it's my biggest complaint about the wobbler. Also, she can unscrew lids-- she steals the empty spaghetti sauce jars from our recycling bin and unscrews the lid to lick out the leftovers.

I'm thinking of things like the other Premier products-- squirrel dude, kibble nibble, Twist N Treat...Kong Genius...

Anyone have reports of those or suggestions of others? :?
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby LMM » February 23rd, 2011, 2:03 pm

What about the Treatstik?
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amalie79 » February 23rd, 2011, 2:06 pm

LMM wrote:What about the Treatstik?

I'm afraid the hard plastic would be so loud on the hardwood! River WILL throw it and sling it around. I saw them at the store on the clearance rack the other day, and I may still get one...But almost all the others are things I can't find locally (which is annoying)...want to put the free shipping to good use! ;-)

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Hundilein » February 23rd, 2011, 9:48 pm

I love my kibble nibble. While it is hard plastic, it does have rubber bumpers, which make it a bit quieter. The large size will fit a lot of food. The tug a jug is too hard for Renee. She gets frustrated and starts gnawing on it. It's also loud on a hard floor. Renee put a sizable dent in the twist n treat by chewing on it, so i don't use it much any more. The squirrel dude is more difficult than the kong if you use any kind of sticky food in it, but I've had dogs at the shelter chew grooves in the opening trying to get the stuff out, so we tend to stick with dry food only. Even with dry food, the prongs in the opening make it harder to get the food out. The amaze-a-ball is a hit here. It's soft rubber, so it is very quiet. It's made by JW pet I think.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby furever_pit » February 23rd, 2011, 10:06 pm

+1 to the kibble nibble purple jug thing.
My dogs love that thing.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 24th, 2011, 12:20 am

I like the Kong Genius...out of your list of interest...I have one (it used to be "The Leo")...and it's one toy that withstands Score's jaw pressure...for some reason it's *just* wide enough that he can't crunch biscuits as easily...Kongs he cleans out in seconds, Squirrel, Twist n' Treat...done in seconds/minutes. The Leo/Genius...only one that lasts him a while. He is not a heavy duty chewer though. It's good for soft as well as hard foods...so kibble, biscuits, and meaty stuff all goes in easily.

We do love the Kibble Nibble too...it's a bit quieter on the floors...and can only be for kibble.

I have all of the things mentioned...I'm addicted to treat-dispensing toys.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amalie79 » February 24th, 2011, 11:26 am

Treat-dispensing toys are my savior. River just loves them.

So the Kibble Nibble sounds like a winner. I hate that her wobbler just sits there unused because I can't take the noise, so that's a serious contender...

And the Kong Genius is looking good.

Suggestions not on my list are welcome, too! Adam reminded me that I have yet to order the yogurt maker we've been talking about for months and that it would put the free shipping over the top... >( Yeah yeah. I should probably be practical. But I think I'm getting her a new toy anyway. So there. :neener:

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 24th, 2011, 1:11 pm

The kibble nibble does make noise...the rubber makes it less noisy on the outside, but the kibble still rattles around inside, so if the Wobbler bugs you, the KN may not be for you either.

I'll get a video of my guys using the KN tonight, and post it for you, if you'd like to hear it in action!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby amalie79 » February 24th, 2011, 1:14 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:The kibble nibble does make noise...the rubber makes it less noisy on the outside, but the kibble still rattles around inside, so if the Wobbler bugs you, the KN may not be for you either.

I'll get a video of my guys using the KN tonight, and post it for you, if you'd like to hear it in action!

The rattling isn't what bothers me-- it's the slamming on the hardwood that kills me. I can't just let go and remember that my floors are already ruined by claws. It's too much.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TinaMartin » February 24th, 2011, 1:44 pm

furever_pit wrote:+1 to the kibble nibble purple jug thing.
My dogs love that thing.

Both Gator and Sorsha quickly figured out how to prop the bottle at an angle to get whatever is in there to pour out.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » February 24th, 2011, 3:47 pm

TinaMartin wrote:
furever_pit wrote:+1 to the kibble nibble purple jug thing.
My dogs love that thing.

Both Gator and Sorsha quickly figured out how to prop the bottle at an angle to get whatever is in there to pour out.

I had to cut the ropes out of mine, because they got mildewed...so now they're for dogs that are un-used to treat dispensing toys, because mine get the stuff out too fast.

lol

TheRedQueen

Postby amalie79 » February 26th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations. Now that I'm adding the damn yogurt-maker, I don't *have* to get a dog toy to put me over the top.

So today, I came across the Kong Geniuses for the first time in a brick and mortar shop. We bought a large Leo (that's the bowling pin shaped one, right?) and she LOVES it. It's not easy for her-- I started with jerky...then put in a biscuit...then finally kibble so she could actually experience some success.

Is it wrong that I felt a sweet, sweet tinge of schadenfreude when she tried to crush the life out of those biscuits like she does with her squishy ball...and failed to make a dent? :devil:

Maybe this will actually occupy her for more than 45 seconds.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 26th, 2011, 4:47 pm

amalie79 wrote:Thanks for all the recommendations. Now that I'm adding the damn yogurt-maker, I don't *have* to get a dog toy to put me over the top.

So today, I came across the Kong Geniuses for the first time in a brick and mortar shop. We bought a large Leo (that's the bowling pin shaped one, right?) and she LOVES it. It's not easy for her-- I started with jerky...then put in a biscuit...then finally kibble so she could actually experience some success.

Is it wrong that I felt a sweet, sweet tinge of schadenfreude when she tried to crush the life out of those biscuits like she does with her squishy ball...and failed to make a dent? :devil:

Maybe this will actually occupy her for more than 45 seconds.

:devil: Isn't it GREAT? Score has the same problem with the Leo...he just can't crush everything like he does with Kongs...lol Makes me laugh each time he gets a stuffed Leo. He also will get his jaw stuck in the side hole...and that makes me giggle too.

TheRedQueen

Postby amalie79 » February 26th, 2011, 4:52 pm

The trick with River is giving her juuuust enough success that she keeps at it, but making it difficult enough that she doesn't start barking maniacally at me to DO SOMETHING FOR HER NOW.

Currently, she has a mix of kibble and a jerky strip in the Leo. So she gets the odd kibble here and there, but the pungent duck meat stays in there to keep her interested. 8)

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 26th, 2011, 4:57 pm

amalie79 wrote:The trick with River is giving her juuuust enough success that she keeps at it, but making it difficult enough that she doesn't start barking maniacally at me to DO SOMETHING FOR HER NOW.

Currently, she has a mix of kibble and a jerky strip in the Leo. So she gets the odd kibble here and there, but the pungent duck meat stays in there to keep her interested. 8)

Yup, exactly.

We have a Dogzilla toy that drives everyone crazy because there is a 3" piece of bully stick inside...no one can get it out (including me!)

TheRedQueen

Postby amalie79 » February 26th, 2011, 5:11 pm

Do you also stuff the Leo with wet stuff like a regular Kong? Like peanut butter, wet food, yogurt...that kind of thing?

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 26th, 2011, 11:56 pm

I don't stuff my Leo with wet stuff...too many holes for it to leak out of. But I've been known to stuff meaty-goodness into the neck of it...:)

TheRedQueen

Postby amalie79 » February 27th, 2011, 10:53 am

Guess I meant pasty moist stuff...?

So the toy came with a sample of one of those Ziggies treats that Kong makes. They're not exactly nutritious or part of our pups' new diet, but we're still transitioning them over, so it's a last hurrah.

I put it in the kong genius and gave it to River. She licked at it for a few minutes, slung it around for a while. Finally, she brought it to me, slammed it down on the ground next to me, looked me right in the eyes, and stomped off to find the squishy ball.

Too difficult, hmm? 8)

She is such a brat.

Robin liked it though. Shame it's full of wheat gluten. This'll be her only chance to enjoy it for a while.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Return to Training & Behavior