Control Unleashed Study Group

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby amalie79 » February 21st, 2011, 3:28 pm

I just came across this Yahoo group:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dog_ ... udy_Group/

It's a book group for Control Unleashed; they go through it in 12 weeks with people who've done the program, trainers who use it in classes, and newbies like me. They also don't assume that you know clicker training or the relaxation protocols. It starts on March 1, and I think the first week is mostly background; on the docket is clicker training, "prep" and the relaxation protocol, so that gives you a little time to get the book delivered as all that info is online.

We are about to start something with Robin-- we meet with the trainer tomorrow to decide where she should start, be it private, regular or reactive dog classes and at what level-- so I may end up just being a lurker. I'm so strapped for time as it is...

But I thought I'd post the link for anyone interested in CU. (--CU focuses on reactive or very highly strung dogs and is the main source of the Look At That game that we all talk about.)
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » February 21st, 2011, 7:20 pm

Really interesting! Can anyone join?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 21st, 2011, 8:29 pm

Thanks for posting that! I joined. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amalie79 » February 21st, 2011, 9:02 pm

call2arms wrote:Really interesting! Can anyone join?

Yep-- I joined, too, and goodness knows I'm a nobody! lol

Now I have to order the book. I've wanted to read it for a long time and I'm hoping this will put a fire under my arse.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 22nd, 2011, 12:05 am

I can't find my copy...>:(

I'd like to join, but honestly, I'm not sure I'd have the time to put into it...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Jazzy1 » February 22nd, 2011, 8:31 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:I can't find my copy...>:(

I'd like to join, but honestly, I'm not sure I'd have the time to put into it...

I'd like to do it; and I have the book.

Does anyone know how it works? Can you just audit, or is there a commitment to follow a schedule and provide feedback?
Jazzy1
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 22nd, 2011, 9:15 pm

I think it said on there that lurkers are welcome. I'm probably just going to lurk. I'm good at that. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amalie79 » February 22nd, 2011, 10:31 pm

From what I understand, lurking is allowed. I probably will have to just lurk, too-- Robin's going to start classes in a few weeks, so we'll be kind of involved in that. But I want to keep up with it all and maybe go through it again at my own pace.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » February 23rd, 2011, 12:41 am

I'll lurk as well. I really need to kick my ass into gear, my dog isn't just going to decide to stop acting like an ass unless I teach him to do so.

Sort of off topic, but on-topic as well.

I know it's a stupid question, and maybe I missed the boat somewhere on this one, but... How do you guys give treats (when training, so quite often) outside when it's freezing cold? My mitts are warm, but clumsy = treats everywhere, and gloves just make my fingers die, so let's not talk about when they get wet from giving treats. I feel all clumsy and weird and not quick enough, is there a magic treat dispensing gadget that exists?

I know if I did clicker I could click for learned behaviors and give treats less often, but jeez it's weird wnough to give treats with mitts while holding a leash and a poopy bag at the same time, let alone click...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Jazzy1 » February 23rd, 2011, 7:43 am

call2arms wrote:I know it's a stupid question, and maybe I missed the boat somewhere on this one, but... How do you guys give treats (when training, so quite often) outside when it's freezing cold? My mitts are warm, but clumsy = treats everywhere, and gloves just make my fingers die, so let's not talk about when they get wet from giving treats. I feel all clumsy and weird and not quick enough, is there a magic treat dispensing gadget that exists?

I know if I did clicker I could click for learned behaviors and give treats less often, but jeez it's weird wnough to give treats with mitts while holding a leash and a poopy bag at the same time, let alone click...

I have a pair of fingerless gloves that convert into mittens. I can have my fingers free for treating and if it is very cold and it looks like we will not be coming upon dogs for awhile, I can pull the mitten part down to keep my hands warmer. It's not ideal...but better than anything I have been able to think of to date.

I have these:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view ... ompartment

but I'd look around too...they frankly are not that warm when it's close to freezing or below out.
Jazzy1
Just Whelped

Postby FAB dogs » February 23rd, 2011, 8:26 am

I know it's a stupid question, and maybe I missed the boat somewhere on this one, but... How do you guys give treats (when training, so quite often) outside when it's freezing cold?

I use turkey dogs for training treats so I can put them in my mouth and spit them out at the dog. Really helps to get the dog's attention focused on me since he never knows when I'm going to spit at him. Just be sure to eat before training or cut up twice as many hot dogs as you think you need. I tend to eat half of them in the process of training. You can put several slices in your mouth at once and just bite off smaller bits to spit out. I can get 4-6 treats out of one "penny" sized slice, and I put 3-4 slices in my mouth at a time and store them in my cheeks.

The only down side I've found is that Brogan has associated click to spit. So he when he hears the clicker, he immediately flings his head back, opens his mouth, and starts moving his head from side to side in hopes of catching the hot dog as it falls. It's so stinkin' cute I usually end up laughing and then all of the hot dogs fall out of my mouth. Now he thinks he has the power to make it rain hot dogs.

If you're not a hot dog person, you can do the same with cheese. String cheese is great for this since you can peel it, bite off small chunks, and spit with no muss and no fuss.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby Hundilein » February 23rd, 2011, 9:52 am

I am intrigued by this product: http://store.clickertraining.com/speedetreat.html

Seems like it might help you, but I've never actually used it or ever seen it, so I don't know how well it would work with mittens on.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 23rd, 2011, 10:18 am

Hundilein wrote:I am intrigued by this product: http://store.clickertraining.com/speedetreat.html

Seems like it might help you, but I've never actually used it or ever seen it, so I don't know how well it would work with mittens on.

Those things are annoying...we tried them for SD clients, and they're very clumsy and hard to deal with. imo
:|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amalie79 » February 23rd, 2011, 10:57 am

Ummm.... We generally stay inside when it's really REALLY cold. :oops: Or, actually, *I* atay inside when it's really really cold. Robin will do insane zoomies until she drops in the yard, and will play fetch and tug until she can't stand up, so that's how she gets her exercise-- in short bursts. Then we do training inside and that goes a long way to wearing her out.

If I want to do LAT training and exposure to people, I drive to the Walgreen's down the street with an outside RedBox and we sit in the car to watch people rent movies and she gets lots of face time without too much stress. She gets treated the instant she sees the people to avoid barrier frustration.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » February 23rd, 2011, 11:41 am

The outside is not a choice for us - it's there or in the apartment. No backyard. So I need to be able to give treats even if it's -40 celsius at potty time, never know when a dog will show up.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby amalie79 » February 23rd, 2011, 11:42 am

call2arms wrote:The outside is not a choice for us - it's there or in the apartment. No backyard. So I need to be able to give treats even if it's -40 celsius at potty time, never know when a dog will show up.

When I'm mowing the yard and raking leaves, I long for the days when I lived in an apartment. When you said this, not so much. :(

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Return to Training & Behavior