travelling... Gravol?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby call2arms » May 14th, 2006, 12:54 am

I have no idea if Gravol can be used safely o na 50 pound dog for road travel. Usually we get Jessie some meds from the vet (can't remember the nabe, but it knocks her out, and we can't use it too often). We tried natural pills and Bach's rescue remedy, and it just dosen't work.

She is more than likely anxious and not carsick.

What do you guys think? We decided (last minute) to go see my bf's mom tommorow, and he has a baseball game after, so that would be a lot of road, and I'd hate to see her scream the whole time. So, we don't have time to go to the vet to get more knock-me-out pills. Yes, Jessie will whine and howl consistently in the car. No, ignoring her does NOT work. Yes, we tried pretty much everything else to make her stop. So far the only thing that works is boarding her, lol.

Thanks for the advice!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » May 14th, 2006, 1:05 am

I think baby gravol can be used on dogs?
I KNOW we use it at work, I'm not sure of the dosage, someone else?

Is the name of the stuff you used Clomicalm or Atravet?

Can you possibly leave her at home as an alternative?

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » May 14th, 2006, 3:59 am

Benedryl. Ruby weighs 50 pounds and we have given her up to 6 at a time (directed by my vet) - it affects dogs differently than humans so you can give them more.

It works in about 20 minutes and wears off in a few hours.

Were you using Acepromizine?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » May 14th, 2006, 9:02 am

Trauma Life. Massage it into her ears about 15 minutes before getting into the car. You may have to re-apply it a couple times on the trip.

Can be found at youngliving.us and it's not cheap but I have seen it work like magic on a dog with severe SA and on a dog with thunder-phobia.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby call2arms » May 14th, 2006, 11:05 am

What the vet prescribed was Acevet. So yeah, it's Acepromazine. The vet said it's not too good to use often, so we try to not give it to her as much as possible, but car rides area nightmare, and both my and bf's parents live like, 1:30 away fromour town.

The natural pille were Nutrocalm, it had NO effect, but we only gave her one.
I wish I could get the Trauma Life from the internet, but I doubt they'll ship it for todat, lol. I guess I'll try Benadryl, or maybe call a vet (mine is closed on Sundays) about Gravol dosage.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby turtle » May 14th, 2006, 2:11 pm

I've also heard that the Benadryl works well for calming dogs. I give it to my dog when her allergies get her itchy and it makes her sleepy.

Good luck with her and the drive... Does she do this for short trips too? Screaming dogs are no fun in a closed car...
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 14th, 2006, 3:29 pm

I thought of something else. When I worked at Angell I remember a client had called up and asked if they could give their dog Benadryl to calm her for a car ride that they were already a half hour into. I asked one of the vets and he said that the dog's body doesn't get sleepy like we do from it, so frankly I have my doubts on how well Benedryl will work for a dog who has such high anxiety.

Valerian Root might help calm a little, but definitely not as much as you need.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » May 14th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Oh it does MY dogs. Benadryl knocks them the smurf out!! ( I watched Friday last night, can you tell??)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby call2arms » May 15th, 2006, 12:31 am

Well, we ended up not going today. But I'll keep those suggestions handy for the next time.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mnp13 » May 15th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Benedryl knocks Ruby and Connor out cold, no problems.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 15th, 2006, 10:37 pm

I just threw water on Tess once in the crate in the car. She stopped having a fit after that, and now stays pretty calm in the crate, once we get moving. She does not do transitions well. If anyone leaves the car she panicks until they get back in, whining and panting, but no maore barking. She is a little frainy. (A kuhn-ism; frainy is short for schizo'frainia'.)

I cannot feed her before driving anywhere, she will throw up in the car.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby call2arms » May 15th, 2006, 10:53 pm

Strangely, she dosen't throw up in the car. Some wires just touch in her brains, and she gets all panicked.

She even tries to eat the cars that pass in the opposite way on the highway.
I think being in such a restricted space and not moving a lot for a long time also makes her impatient.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 16th, 2006, 9:26 am

Oh, that is interesting. If you are in a parked car does she still do that?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby call2arms » May 16th, 2006, 1:08 pm

Yeah... She just seems to get anxious by just being in the car.

When we got her at first, she was fine. When she was younger (like 8-9 months) we started taking her to the dog park, and she started to get VERY excited in the car. We stopped after a while because she wasn't really interested in the other dogs, but also because it was getting really annoying.

Since then she never really stopped whining in the car, even though we never took her to the dog park again. I think it's anxiousness and maybe a bit of "We're in the car, we must be going somewhere fun, I can't hold myself..." because she gets very happy/excited wherever we bring her with the car: vet, boarding, my parents, my bf's parents...

It's just such a pain in the arse. I tried to bring her for short, pointless car rides with a friend of mine, and it didn't change anything.

I'll say it just cause it rhymes but...

Sedation is the best option!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to Pit Bull Talk