ack, people medical advice! running injury?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Malli » February 18th, 2011, 4:22 am

so, I'm hoping it isn't actually irritated, yet.

One knee, bothering me on hills (walking/hiking as well) and near the end of the run yesterday. It may twinge a bit when I bend at other times. Just sitting here, I note that something feels a bit "off" in that knee, but I wouldn't say pain, really. None of it is terrible.

The sensation is on the out side of the knee.

What do you think?

I'm going to take a break from running(obviously), but for how long? Days? weeks? :neutral:

Do you guys think I can do a brisk walk on flat? I'm quite upset about the prospect of no cardio, and regular gym visits are not feasable.

Thoughts?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » February 18th, 2011, 6:27 am

If you need ACL surgery, you can borrow Truman's body sling! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 18th, 2011, 6:57 am

Crate rest and leash walks only for you, young lady!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » February 18th, 2011, 3:37 pm

Ladies! You aren't helping!

I may begin chewing on inappropriate items if I am kennelled for too long :lookaround:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » February 18th, 2011, 5:34 pm

8) No?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » February 18th, 2011, 10:51 pm

Sometimes I'll get a sore knee here and there.

While standing cup your knee with your palm and do a squait, do you feel popping? If you do, that is called Crepitus and can be causes by cartilage wearing down in the joint. I have it in both of my knees, the right being worse.

A few days ago my left knee was bothering me, it wasn't an aching pain - just sore when I would bend it. I gave it some rest and it is fine now. Personally I would rest for a day or two, then start with flat walking, and then go from there if it feels better.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby call2arms » February 19th, 2011, 4:38 pm

My knees are funny too, not sure what to tell you... Mine also hurt on the side of the knee, that may be cruciates or not, but logically it could make sense. I eventually just stopped running because they would hurt even when I was sitting, laying down, whenever... They're much better now.

Are your shoes appropriate? Like, have you been to the Running Room, they've assessed your gait barefoot and you've tried many pairs in store, picking the best one? Cause shoes are a huge deal if you're running seriously, even if you're walking or hiking.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » February 20th, 2011, 4:30 am

yep. I started with crappy shoes for walking for a couple months before I started running, and when I started running it was quickly clear that my feet were getting TRASHED, so I went to the running/walking room and was outfitted with some really good shoes. I still love them, super comfy.

I'm more concerned about the IT Band, apparently the most common running injury :|

I'm pretty anxious to get back to doing something, so I'm going to see what the walk in clinic Dr. says in the morning...
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » February 20th, 2011, 6:49 am

Malli wrote:I'm pretty anxious to get back to doing something, so I'm going to see what the walk in clinic Dr. says in the morning...

Why don't you just ask the Vets you work with to check it out? :wave2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » February 20th, 2011, 3:56 pm

I would lol, but I don't work there any more! ;)

Iliotibial Band confirmed at the Dr. :neutral:

On the plus side: I can do my cardio walks and bike and just a couple weeks rest and I can try to run again less frequently and on flat.

So I imagine I have just irritated it...

Oscar and I will have our exercise and activity restrictions together for a while
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby plebayo » February 20th, 2011, 10:37 pm

Malli wrote:I would lol, but I don't work there any more! ;)

On the plus side: I can do my cardio walks and bike and just a couple weeks rest and I can try to run again less frequently and on flat.

So I imagine I have just irritated it...

Oscar and I will have our exercise and activity restrictions together for a while

Maybe you both need some hydro therapy :wave2:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » February 21st, 2011, 12:33 am

HAH! They don't let him in the pool :nono:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » February 21st, 2011, 7:47 am

Malli wrote:I would lol, but I don't work there any more! ;)......

Too lazy to google it...what is iliotibial band? Although I do see the root word, tibia. :confused:

Where the hell do you work???? And why have I forgotten??? :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » February 21st, 2011, 11:22 am

It's the band that links the ileum (the pointy tip of the hip) to the tibia, sort of cradling the kneecap on the outside of the leg part. I think mine hurts too when I run.

Yeah, where do you work, Mallika?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » February 21st, 2011, 12:22 pm

call2arms wrote:
Yeah, where do you work, Mallika?

In a non-stalkerish kind of way, of course. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » February 21st, 2011, 2:55 pm

No... In a TOTAL stalkerish way.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » February 21st, 2011, 3:03 pm

bahahahaha. LMAO

I worked at the animal hospital for almost exactly 4 yrs, and for about 1.5 yrs I've worked for a women who owns a private kennel for all her own dogs (about 30 of them!).
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Off-Topic