Joyce's Official "Random Thoughts" Thread

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 18th, 2011, 10:39 am

chicken hearts are off the stove, ready to be cut up...now it's time for BEEF heart on the stove...blech
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amalie79 » February 18th, 2011, 11:38 am

Malli wrote:Kind of upset. I posted an article about the ineffective BSL in Ont on my fb and someone who I've known for a long time and would think much better of asked this
"What if Oscar suddenly snapped and bit someone- would you consider yourself responsible for the attack? Can you guarantee he will never attack anyone, even you?"

I thought so much better of her then this :( I can't believe she would ask such ignorant questions. Since she is a friend, and we are also part of a circle of other friends, I kept my response in debate-mode.
I'm so shocked, dissapointed and hurt at the same time. :(

I've been in the middle of a similar Facebook discussion. The person who I'm friends with is approaching this from a more intellectual standpoint-- he wants to see the CDC/AVMA report, wants to research the Dangerous Dogs Act in the UK and why it's failing. He's actually asking to see the goods. Some of the people posting though, are saying things like, "it's like owning a tiger or a cougar," "you never know when they'll snap," etc. I really realized last night that you can show all the amazing dogs in the world to these people-- all of our wonderful dogs, all the Hectors and Wallaces, all the Peteys, all the service and therapy dogs, and it won't make a bit of difference. Because their argument is precisely that pit bulls are unpredictable and might lull their owners into thinking they're great and calm and then BAM! they snap all of a sudden. It's a "logic" based on potential, so there's no way to argue it in their minds. A little like arguing with faith, IMHO.

It made my husband downright angry-- like livid, unreasonably "angry eyes" angry. It just bummed me out and made me even sadder about the world than I already was yesterday. :nono:
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » February 18th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Beautiful day, Temps in the 70's and slight breeze. Loving this weather.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » February 26th, 2011, 9:14 am

Heading off for a group dog hike this morning...still trying to figure out which dogs to take! I've got another hike tomorrow...so the ones that are left behind today get to go tomorrow.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby BigDogBuford » February 26th, 2011, 12:33 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Heading off for a group dog hike this morning...still trying to figure out which dogs to take! I've got another hike tomorrow...so the ones that are left behind today get to go tomorrow.

Take one of my dogs!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Hoyden » February 26th, 2011, 12:36 pm

Take me and my dog! I am tired of being grounded by ice and snow.

I am still pissed on my physical therapist for agreeing with Mark and telling me to stay indoors most of the time since Christmas.

The ER is already on a first name basis with me, so what's the point?
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby TheRedQueen » February 26th, 2011, 1:14 pm

A LOVELY hike...the snow melted away thanks to the rain this week...4 miles of easy hiking...took 2 hours. Puzzle and Score went...both were WONDERFUL...Puzz spent about half the time walking in heel position...(that's the sweet spot, she's found out)...waiting for treats. She also called off the impromtu play sessions between the Am. Bulldog and the Irish Wolfhound. Score did a lovely "drop it" from about 50' away with a coveted deer leg (two other dogs had to be chased/corralled/corrected).

TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » March 1st, 2011, 12:09 pm

Someone I was friends with a few years ago, who used to "counsel" me in regards to my relationship with Demo, not going to church, etc... is claiming to have a PhD from a school that doesn't even grant them... interesting turn of events.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TinaMartin » March 1st, 2011, 1:20 pm

How interesting.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Malli » March 1st, 2011, 2:43 pm

People are smurfing weird. Why would you even make up something like that that is so easily disproven?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » March 1st, 2011, 4:33 pm

And of all places, he claimed to have a PhD from Harvard Divinity School. Not a local place, but HARVARD. Turns out that Harvard Divinity School only offers ThD's, Harvard has PhD's in "The Study of Religion"

How did I find this out? I called the school and asked if they could verify the degree for me. I just acted like it was a normal thing, and said I wasn't asking for a transcript, just wanted to verify that the degree info was accurate. I told her "PhD" and the year and his name. Her response: "That's not accurate, I didn't even have to check, we don't grant PhD's we grant ThD's." And looking at the requirements, there is NO WAY anyone who had earned either would make that error!

According to the webstites, to get a ThD you need a Masters, a Master of Divinity, and at least
intermediate level knowledge of Greek, Hebrew, Sanscrit or Latin. And realistically, you'd probably
need at least one of the degrees from Harvard, Yale, Oxford or similar school, because they say
"outstanding quality" repeatedly.

The requirements for the ThD are NUTS - check this out!
http://studyofreligion.fas.harvard.edu/ ... roup111593

The PhD is a breeze in comparison. lol
http://studyofreligion.fas.harvard.edu/ ... roup110811

So, evidently, he was a full time student at Harvard for two years (both degrees require that), he is fluent
in English and two other modern languages, and also fluent in an ancient language.

The PhD takes SEVEN years to complete, and "Only in unusual cases can the program be completed in less than four-and-a-half academic years." The ThD takes the same amount, though they don't comment on how fast (I use that term loosely!) you can get it done.

The length of the Doctoral papers for both degrees is three HUNDRED pages, and if they set that limit, then
you know it's because they were getting papers that were longer!

And the final kicker was this:
http://studyofreligion.fas.harvard.edu/ ... page342441
EVERY graduate from BOTH programs, from the last ten years.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » March 1st, 2011, 4:42 pm

Boy, babies can cry for a loooooong time. I can feel my ovaries shrinking up as I type.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 10th, 2011, 10:22 am

John has to cancel his Dr. appt. for this morning, because the front yard is too soggy for his scooter to get through.

TheRedQueen

Postby SLS61185 » March 28th, 2011, 3:43 am

Two weeks and one set down. On set number two with 14 and 19 more sets to go and eight to nine months left.... I'm so over this already. Can I be done yet?
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » March 28th, 2011, 9:04 am

The Wiener pulled one of his sweaters off his favorite chair, put it on the floor...and has heaped toys on top of it...and is now lying on it. All in the sunbeam. Smart boy.

TheRedQueen

Postby Tubular Toby » March 28th, 2011, 12:13 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:The Wiener pulled one of his sweaters off his favorite chair, put it on the floor...and has heaped toys on top of it...and is now lying on it. All in the sunbeam. Smart boy.

:love:
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 30th, 2011, 7:47 am

Inara's prong has disappeared. Searched high and low and it's nowhere to be seen. Guess that's my cue to stop using it as the crutch it is for me! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » March 30th, 2011, 7:52 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Inara's prong has disappeared. Searched high and low and it's nowhere to be seen. Guess that's my cue to stop using it as the crutch it is for me! lol

:| I know nothing about this... :smileUp:

TheRedQueen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 30th, 2011, 8:04 am

lol I asked one of my friends if she broke into my house and took it - she just giggled like she wished she had!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » March 30th, 2011, 8:37 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:lol I asked one of my friends if she broke into my house and took it - she just giggled like she wished she had!

:giggle:

I have a boarding dog with a prong collar this week...all boarding dog leashes/collars hang by the front door so they don't get lost. The giant thick leash with the giant prong looks so out of place there...lol

TheRedQueen

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic