Opinions wanted: Team/member Dues

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 17th, 2011, 8:55 am

If you joined a sports team or group that required individual/member dues...for the year, and you left that team/group...would you expect a refund of your dues? Do you think that the group owes you those dues back? Does it matter if you leave in the early or later part of the year?

Also, if as part of the team/group's activities there was fundraising (for new equipment) as a whole. Would you expect part of that money back to you if you left the team/group? Does the group owe you any of that money?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 17th, 2011, 9:14 am

Honestly, I wouldn't expect my money back in either circumstance. It would suck and I would wish I could have it back, but I can't imagine there are many groups that refund partial/whole membership dues if you leave of your own volition. Sorry. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Tubular Toby » February 17th, 2011, 10:19 am

I wouldn't expect my dues back.

The only way I could see expecting my money back was if it was within a few days of paying them and I changed my mind.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby plebayo » February 17th, 2011, 10:37 am

My dad belonged to a VW club for like 20-some years. He had been everything from secretary, treasurer, to president. In the last few years the club got a new president who sucked so my dad decided he didn't want to be in the club anymore. He didn't get any sort of compensation for leaving.

I could understand if someone joined your team and something tragic happened right away, like the person's dog got injured the first competition, or the person got a horrible medical issue that prevented them for any sort of participation, I can see refunding their money but otherwise if the person chooses to join, then decides to leave 'just because' I don't think you owe them anything. And really, if you refunded their money due to a random emergency, that is even being kind of nice because I don't know any clubs/groups that give refunds of membership.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » February 17th, 2011, 12:31 pm

In my perfect world, I would LOVE my money returned, pro-rated, but that is not how it works. 8)

I am a member of a theater group. We go see Broadway plays once a month. Bus is included in the price to join. We can make 3 installments. I was sick and couldn't go to one show. I gave my ticket to a friend, who chose to reinmburse me for half the ticket price. I was thrilled I even got that. Otherwise, I KNOW I would have been out the entire price.

My kickboxing gym...you pay upfront. Only if you literally DIE will they give you a pro-rated amount back. Or your estate, I guess. :giggle:

I pay very steep union dues. It comes out of my paycheck, monthly. If I was to be fired, let go, or whatever, they don't give me back what I put in all year.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BigDogBuford » February 17th, 2011, 2:48 pm

No, I wouldn't expect anything back.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Jenn » February 17th, 2011, 3:50 pm

I wouldn't expect anything back either... UNLESS, something happened drastic and I was beyond pissed off, not supported, or something along those lines. If leaving just cause I was lazy, or it wasn't for me, nope my bad...
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » February 17th, 2011, 4:27 pm

I agree that if there was a problem with my DOG it would be a nice gesture if the group gave the money back pro-rated. I would not expect it. But if I quit? No way I would expect it, and the person refunding that money is basically stealing from the treasury if they are doing it unauthorized.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pocketpit » February 17th, 2011, 6:00 pm

No way are they due a refund. And even if they got a refund for dues what would make them think they are due any money from fundrasing for the club?
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 17th, 2011, 7:25 pm

So...to continue this line of thinking.

If you were in charge of the team account, but you leave the team also, you would not be the one to dole out the refunds, correct? The new book-keeper/treasurer would be in charge of handling refunds, wouldn't you think?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby BigDogBuford » February 17th, 2011, 8:29 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:So...to continue this line of thinking.

If you were in charge of the team account, but you leave the team also, you would not be the one to dole out the refunds, correct? The new book-keeper/treasurer would be in charge of handling refunds, wouldn't you think?

NO. That would a huge conflict of interest. And unethical.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby iluvk9 » February 17th, 2011, 8:43 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:If you were in charge of the team account, but you leave the team also, you would not be the one to dole out the refunds, correct? The new book-keeper/treasurer would be in charge of handling refunds, wouldn't you think?

Yes, because if you leave a team or group or whatever, you are no longer PART of that group, so why should you be touching "my" money? And if you left on bad terms, I wouldn't WANT you touching my money. Also, how would I know you aren't refunding YOURSELF too much? No checks and balances in a situation like that.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BigDogBuford » February 17th, 2011, 9:00 pm

I think my answer was unclear. I meant to say that the person who left should not be touching any club money.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » February 17th, 2011, 9:13 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:So...to continue this line of thinking.

That individual is no longer in the club, therefore they have no reason to access club funds. If you have it in writing that they have left the club (email, etc) take that to the bank and have them removed, and have their checks made invalid if they won't give them back.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » March 3rd, 2011, 5:55 pm

Well, the refunds are being given out to the team members that are nit-picking that it was TRULY *monthly* dues...$5/month and not $60/year...so they're getting their $12.50 back for the months that they weren't members anymore. Despite the fact that one of them raced with us in November, under our team name...even though she's claiming she left in October. Such petty, hateful behavior from adults...ya know?

And yeah...I'm bringing this back up because I know for a fact that there are former members from my flyball team spying on me here on PBT. :neener:

TheRedQueen

Postby BigDogBuford » March 3rd, 2011, 9:04 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:And yeah...I'm bringing this back up because I know for a fact that there are former members from my flyball team spying on me here on PBT. :neener:

That's so lame. When I worked for Pasado's, the founder had spies tattling on me all the time. For a while I was wondering if I was in kindergarden again.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 3rd, 2011, 10:10 pm

Amazing isn't it? My junior handlers on the team conduct themselves in a better manner than these adults do.

TheRedQueen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 3rd, 2011, 10:12 pm

HELLO SPIES!!! :wave:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » March 3rd, 2011, 10:27 pm

lol

TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » March 3rd, 2011, 11:05 pm

How about you JOIN and speak for yourselves? Oh wait, that's how adults would behave and we can't have that from you now can we??

Monthly $5 dues? Seriously? Grow up. I've never been a member of anything after Brownies that had dues that low that were payable monthly. Yearly dues paid in perhaps , but for $60 that's a stretch. One of the clubs I used to train with was more than that a MONTH.

Get over it and move on. You getting money back is basically stealing.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Off-Topic