Four

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby LMM » February 14th, 2011, 9:59 am

Was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on Friday. I knew when I pulled him from a shelter at 12 years old with mast cell tumors that I wouldn't have him forever but crap :( My heart is breaking and every time I repeat the diagnosis I cry. I cry as I type this. I love my old man so much.

So at 13.5 I will not amputate his leg. I will manage his pain. I will also be calling Smith Ridge for a consultation this morning but I'm pretty certain I won't be able to afford the treatments. I'm giving it a shot though.

Even though they are fairly certain that it has moved to his chest, the x-rays don't show anything and his blood work is "spotless" according to his Dr, so those are both good. Even having said that, the prognosis is poor, 4-5 months.

Cancer sucks.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby TheRedQueen » February 14th, 2011, 10:14 am

:hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 14th, 2011, 10:15 am

Oh Jenn, I'm so sorry. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » February 14th, 2011, 10:16 am

:hug3: I'm so sorry to hear this.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby copperlegend » February 14th, 2011, 10:17 am

F cancer.

Jenn, if you need ANYTHING, you know we're all here for you and Four.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TinaMartin » February 14th, 2011, 10:21 am

It sucks when stuff like this happens. :cry:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby amalie79 » February 14th, 2011, 11:16 am

I'm so sorry. :(
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » February 14th, 2011, 11:39 am

:hug3: x10.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Miss_Pits » February 14th, 2011, 12:01 pm

<3 Four
Amanda

Dogs are miracles with paws.
Miss_Pits
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » February 14th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Four is in wonderful hands. Give him a kiss for me. Right on the mouth. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » February 14th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Our thought are with you both Jenn :hug3: give Four lots of treats and hugs from us.

The cancer 'beast' SUCKS :cuss:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » February 14th, 2011, 1:31 pm

*sigh* Good thoughts to you guys and Joxer sends lots of "smurf Cancer" wishes!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Jenn » February 14th, 2011, 2:02 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:*sigh* Good thoughts to you guys and Joxer sends lots of "smurf Cancer" wishes!

:thumbsup:

:hug3: I'm so sorry, tons of thoughts for you both..
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby hugapitbull » February 14th, 2011, 7:35 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:*sigh* Good thoughts to you guys and Joxer sends lots of "smurf Cancer" wishes!

Can Trouble join in this wish!

Jenn, I cannot tell you how sorry I am. It does truly suck. Even though you are not considering amputation, the Tripawds.com forum has tons of info on the disease and treatments. And just to throw it out there, when Trouble was diagnosed they were almost certain it was in the lungs but not visible also. That was 27 months ago on the 26th. No one knows how much time one has, so enjoy each and every moment you have left. When we were diagnosed we were expecting about 2 months, so treatment can extend the time. As very hard as it is, stay strong, and stay positive. You are more than welcome to PM me and ask anything you like.

Sending all the good thoughts I can find your way.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » February 14th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Oh no! Sending lots of good thoughts and hugs and kisses your way.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby madremissy » February 14th, 2011, 8:53 pm

:( :( :( :(
Sending good thoughts.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby LMM » February 15th, 2011, 9:36 am

hugapitbull wrote:

Can Trouble join in this wish!

Jenn, I cannot tell you how sorry I am. It does truly suck. Even though you are not considering amputation, the Tripawds.com forum has tons of info on the disease and treatments. And just to throw it out there, when Trouble was diagnosed they were almost certain it was in the lungs but not visible also. That was 27 months ago on the 26th. No one knows how much time one has, so enjoy each and every moment you have left. When we were diagnosed we were expecting about 2 months, so treatment can extend the time. As very hard as it is, stay strong, and stay positive. You are more than welcome to PM me and ask anything you like.

Sending all the good thoughts I can find your way.

Thank you so much. This does help a lot. Of course I hope I have tons of time left with him but we will live every day like it will be the last. I will definitely check out the forum :)

I am disappointed that Smith Ridge has halted their IAT program but we aren't laying down on this.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BullyLady » February 23rd, 2011, 9:54 pm

I'm so sorry for you and Four, lots of :goodthoughts: from Shelby and I.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby LMM » March 6th, 2011, 7:09 pm

I feel like such a pessimist but I think Four's time is here :( I am posting in hopes of some ideas though. He is in incredible pain and just had me sobbing at the noises that were coming out of him. He is on max dose rimadyl (or so my vet says), max dose tramadol, and has started gapapentin. They said there is one more opiate we can add to the cocktail. I'm obviously sick to my stomach and worried about quality of life but I don't want to give up too soon either. There is my first real spin with a cancer of this magnitude and I'm not sure if there are some other things I should be trying. I also plan to call the vet first thing in the morning.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby airwalk » March 6th, 2011, 8:03 pm

Jenn I'm so sorry. Cancer sucks and I'm convinced there are no right or wrong answers. You have to do what is right for you and Four. You know your dog, your family, your beliefs and your budget. You know we are here to support whatever decision you make.
airwalk
I live here

Next

Return to Canine Cancer