Human medical advice needed

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby mnp13 » February 12th, 2011, 10:24 pm

amalie79 wrote:It's funny 'cause it's true. Kids. They're just like dogs. :neutral:

SO true! Many of my friends have kids, and I give them the same training advice for their kids that I use in classes.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » February 12th, 2011, 11:55 pm

mnp13 wrote:
amalie79 wrote:It's funny 'cause it's true. Kids. They're just like dogs. :neutral:

SO true! Many of my friends have kids, and I give them the same training advice for their kids that I use in classes.

For the last two years, I've given Gremlin's teacher a copy of the hand outs we were given at the dog training class that I took that dealt with training methods for dogs with issues, dominance etc..

At first they though I was insane, then they realized it worked.

I thought it was damn funny when I ran into one of them at the mall and she asked for another copy of those directions.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby cheekymunkee » February 13th, 2011, 1:02 am

iluvk9 wrote:8) Well, of course I am asking on a dog forum. But, hey, ya never know. :dance:

The joints in my hands have been aching every morning for a while. No big deal, as I get moving, they are okay.

This morning I woke up and my left hand (I am a right paw) was so painful. Like the bones in the knuckles and the wrist part closer to the palm. I have been taking a kickboxing class, but ironically, I haven't been to it in three days, so I don't think it is hitting the bag that hurt it. And believe me, I have one hell of a whollop. :wink:

I just got the glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, thinking I need that. It says in 7 days you can feel the effects. I already take a multi and salmon oil.

I also borrowed Lenny's buffered aspirin, because I was in a lot of pain and I don't have stuff like that around for me, because thankfully I don't need OTC meds.

So, what is wrong with me? :bye: Maybe the Vet techs know. :neener:

Gonorrhea
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » February 13th, 2011, 3:41 am

:spit:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » February 13th, 2011, 7:50 am

And why do you know the symptoms of VD, Debby?

This morning I have just a little normal pain in my joints. :dance: :dance: I wonder if having way too much salt the night before added to the swelling and pain? I never really have salty foods but had beer and popcorn.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » February 13th, 2011, 12:50 pm

iluvk9 wrote:but had beer and popcorn.

Hey, lol me too!!! :wave2:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » February 13th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Was that you dancing on the table?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby DemoDick » February 13th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Decrease the amount of grains you are eating to as close to zero as possible. Get your carbs from fresh fruit. Eat more nuts, seeds, and oils, especially fish oil, and get as much protein as you can given your diet.

Ever since I switched to a primarily carnivorous diet (paleo) and increased my fat intake my (numerous) joint problems have all but disappeared.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby amalie79 » February 13th, 2011, 11:29 pm

DemoDick wrote:Decrease the amount of grains you are eating to as close to zero as possible. Get your carbs from fresh fruit. Eat more nuts, seeds, and oils, especially fish oil, and get as much protein as you can given your diet.

Ever since I switched to a primarily carnivorous diet (paleo) and increased my fat intake my (numerous) joint problems have all but disappeared.

Demo Dick

Glutens and dairy are both thought to contribute to inflammation. Gluten-free isn't easy, but I did find some good recipes that accommodate that. Dairy-free REALLY isn't easy. I did gluten/dairy-free for a short time, and I did feel better all the way around. My back problems didn't improve by a whole lot, but I'm pretty sure I didn't do it for long enough. Regardless, I just felt better.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby airwalk » February 13th, 2011, 11:40 pm

DemoDick wrote:Decrease the amount of grains you are eating to as close to zero as possible. Get your carbs from fresh fruit. Eat more nuts, seeds, and oils, especially fish oil, and get as much protein as you can given your diet.

Demo Dick

Isn't Joyce Vegetarian?
airwalk
I live here

Postby plebayo » February 13th, 2011, 11:50 pm

Fish oil is a big one in terms of joints. We had a seminar thing on Omega 3's and they are a natural anti-inflammatory. MSM, as mentioned, is also a really good natural anti-inflammatory as well.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby mnp13 » February 14th, 2011, 12:09 am

airwalk wrote:Isn't Joyce Vegetarian?

Yes, and I think that's why he added in the "given your diet" comment. :) :)

So I guess that means a lot of tofu? :crazy2:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » February 14th, 2011, 12:43 am

I would die if I had to eliminate dairy products. I drink between 1.5 - 2 gallons of skim milk by myself per week. I love cheese way to much.

When my body decided it hated dairy during radiation, it was sheer hell. Any dairy made me sick, but it was the only thing I wanted to eat. I ended up on IV's.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Rossignol » February 14th, 2011, 12:55 am

Demo Dick

Really!? I eat alot of red meat, but lots of grains too... I have arthritis in my hands and shoulders, and apparently in my breastbone now too... man, would love to find something that helps.
http://www.stleathercraft.com
brad@stleathercraft.com

"I've seen a few men go The Road of the Righteous
And just a few have traveled This Old Lonely Path"
Dropkick Murphys

Of course there are loaded guns in the house. I have a loaded fire extinguisher too I hope I never have to use.
Rossignol
Leather King

Postby iluvk9 » February 14th, 2011, 6:42 am

Demo Dick

I only eat one serving of grain per day. Either an english muffin (wheat type), oatmeal (made from steel cut oats) or 2 slices of 14-grain bread.

I eat lots of nuts, fruits and vegetables.

I do love greek yogurt and can cut back on the dairy in general.

As for fish, I have salmon, flounder or shrimp.

I can up my salmon oil pills. I don't know where else to get more fat from; as you know, I don't eat "meats".
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » February 14th, 2011, 7:26 am

Also, Patrick, I know you lost a lot of weight with your new eating pattern and exercise, so that may also contribute to your lessening of joint pain?

I find it hard to SAY, but I actually am at my best weight and couldn't loose more if I tried. Kickboxing eats up 600-800 calories per session and I go 5 times a week. I am just saying this in case people who haven't seen my photos here think extra pounds might be part of my joint pains.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Rossignol » February 14th, 2011, 8:53 am

What about carpal tunnel? That can also manifest as anything from pain to numbness to waking you up at night with like a pins and needles feeling.
http://www.stleathercraft.com
brad@stleathercraft.com

"I've seen a few men go The Road of the Righteous
And just a few have traveled This Old Lonely Path"
Dropkick Murphys

Of course there are loaded guns in the house. I have a loaded fire extinguisher too I hope I never have to use.
Rossignol
Leather King

Postby TheRedQueen » February 14th, 2011, 9:23 am

Why have you not gone to the doctor? :|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby DemoDick » February 14th, 2011, 9:45 am

I really do blame my diet for my joint pain and inflammation more than my fat-ass years. I've always had varying degrees of pain in my ankles, knees, shoulders and hands, and arthritis is rampant in my family. Even today if I go on a grain binge I tend to become stiff and sore for a few days. Might be psychosomatic, but I doubt it, as I don't really notice it until afterwards and my knees get noisy.

If you eat eggs, then eat more, especially Omega-3 or ideally farm fresh eggs. Egg protein is very bioavailable, which is another plus. Other sources of fat are the previously mentioned oils, especially fish oil, nuts and seeds, as well as avocados. If you don't have any GI issues from dairy then full-fat yogurt and sour cream are your friends. Unfortunately, grains, especially corn, are heavily subsidized and are in EVERYTHING. It's nearly impossible to avoid grains in packaged foods.

Basically, increase your fat and protein and decrease your grain intake. Replace grain with fruit. Also make sure you're getting enough calories with your new demands. If you're in a caloric deficit and not giving your body the nutrients it needs, you are going to have more soreness than you should. Hopefully that's all that's going on and it should be an easy fix.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby DemoDick » February 14th, 2011, 9:49 am

Rossignol wrote:

Demo Dick

Really!? I eat alot of red meat, but lots of grains too... I have arthritis in my hands and shoulders, and apparently in my breastbone now too... man, would love to find something that helps.

There's a lot of questionable info on this site, but there is also a lot of good stuff too. Paleo for humans makes sense in the same way that raw feeding makes sense for dogs. There's a link on the front page to Rheumatoid Arthritis info.

http://www.paleodiet.com/

Demo Dick
DemoDick

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic