DW provoking dogs

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 1st, 2011, 9:02 am

Why, oh why does anyone listen to this douchebag anymore... :? :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPRAQXOA ... r_embedded
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby plebayo » February 1st, 2011, 9:17 am

It's all about getting good TV! Welcome to reality :p
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pocketpit » February 1st, 2011, 9:23 am

And that idiot producer is my former co-workers husband :doh: Interesting clip. :nono:
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby TinaMartin » February 1st, 2011, 9:31 am

How terrible!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby SisMorphine » February 1st, 2011, 1:32 pm

Poor Curly!!! Totally not a fair position to put a dog in just for good tv. Though the Rottie to the balls did give me a giggle ;)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby babyreba » February 1st, 2011, 1:58 pm

wait, wow ... are they saying that they intentionally provoke dogs to make better TV? and they let that poor yellow dog be "bait" to get the other dogs angry? that is so very wrong and disturbing.

oh and uh ... hi, everyone. long time, no post! this one brought me out of the woodwork, though! :D
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 1st, 2011, 3:05 pm

babyreba wrote:wait, wow ... are they saying that they intentionally provoke dogs to make better TV?

well... yes...

Though I have to agree, you can't assess a behavior if you don't see it.

and they let that poor yellow dog be "bait" to get the other dogs angry? that is so very wrong and disturbing.

absolutely!

oh and uh ... hi, everyone. long time, no post! this one brought me out of the woodwork, though! :D

Where you been? :)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » February 1st, 2011, 3:10 pm

I use my dogs to work with dog-dog problems...but we don't intentionally push the dogs past their comfort zones. It's easy enough to get the behavior from most dogs...you don't need to march them right up to each other. :nono:

My dogs are always happy and comfortable, and the point of using a dog to help is to get the owner trained on how to deal with and read their dog better. I don't intentionally scare my dogs...that'd be awful of me. And I only use non-reactive dogs myself. I don't ever use Inara, because she'd be acting like an idiot to the person with me. I use Figment for small dog issues, and usually Score and/or Xander for bigger dogs. Rip is retired from this now...especially after a dog got away from an idiot client and bit him (not hard...I caught most of the bite as I leaped into the line of fire). It's important to use a bomb-proof dog that can shake it off, and not get hung up on the other dog's behavior. Score has bounced back from all sorts of nasty dog reactions in class and in life...;) (he only likes ONE Inara) :wink:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 1st, 2011, 3:15 pm

:smileUp:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby babyreba » February 1st, 2011, 5:03 pm

yeah, i guess i've let my dogs be used to help suss out problems with other dogs, but i guess i just find it disturbing to see it done for the cameras ... maybe it's more a knee-jerk reaction than anything. and the fact that they muzzle the one dog then let it get right up on the yellow dog, who's being really quiet and lying down, just seems like a betrayal of that dog's trust in the people handling it ... i mean, my dog tucker is very complacent and is comfortable around other dogs, but if i put him in that situation i think he'd develop a good deal of anxiety about being put put in that kind of situation.

and where have i been? good question, i guess. i have actually been around here lurking ... for some reason, i only post once in a blue moon though, and i log in infrequently. i think i'm internet overcommitted.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 1st, 2011, 5:18 pm

babyreba wrote:yeah, i guess i've let my dogs be used to help suss out problems with other dogs, but i guess i just find it disturbing to see it done for the cameras ... maybe it's more a knee-jerk reaction than anything. and the fact that they muzzle the one dog then let it get right up on the yellow dog, who's being really quiet and lying down, just seems like a betrayal of that dog's trust in the people handling it ... i mean, my dog tucker is very complacent and is comfortable around other dogs, but if i put him in that situation i think he'd develop a good deal of anxiety about being put put in that kind of situation.

Right, that's what I said about using my dogs...they're just setting all of the dogs on the DW up to fail...and that's just wrong. :mad2:

TheRedQueen

Postby furever_pit » February 1st, 2011, 5:49 pm

Anything for reality television. :nono:
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » February 2nd, 2011, 4:20 am

You guys forget just HOW many people know NOTHING about dog thought or behavior, there are SOOOO many people out their who own dogs yet don't really get the way they "tick"
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Training & Behavior