Clindamycin and vomiting?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » January 30th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Inara was given Clindamycin and Tramadol on Wed. after the fight with Vesta...she got stitches, and was sedated for them. She was sent home with the two drugs, and I started them on Thursday morning. She had a few days of Tramadol, and has 10 days of the antibiotic. She's been fine this past week...no issues at all. She didn't get Tramadol today, Saturday was the last day for that. So this morning, she got the clindamycin only...in a pill pocket. (as usual)

She's thrown up numerous times today. At least half a dozen times...twice on the bed while she was locked up when people were over today. Then at least four more times tonight, and has asked to go out numerous times too. She's just a bit mopey too...like she's not feeling great.

I'm thinking that I won't give the clindamycin tonight and I'll ask the vet about it tomorrow (puppies go in for vax). I read up that it is a side effect of the drug...so I'm thinking that it's the cause...she's not normally a puking dog, it's extremely rare for her to urp. Would the combo of clindamycin and tramadol keep her from puking, and the antibiotic alone make her nauseous?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » January 30th, 2011, 11:59 pm

Well, I'm not a vet, nor do I play one on. TV, but I know that if I take antibiotics without a meal I feel really nauseated. Yes, I think the tremadol would have mitigated that somewhat.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » January 31st, 2011, 1:14 am

I don't play Vet on tv either!

I don't think the Tramadol had anything to do with it, I do think it could be the antibiotics...

I'm surprised its been so many times, I'd more expect to see it around the time the AB's were given, but its possible its just a very strong reaction or that she has some kind of intolerance to them.

You've probably already given the dose for tonight or won't read this until tomorrow, but I'd skip the morning dose and give it late, and just call in to the vet, explain whats going on and that you're holding on this dose etc.
You probably already know, but just in case, always a good idea to give any antibiotic with even a small amount of food (say if they've already had dinner or whatever).
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby plebayo » January 31st, 2011, 1:48 am

I'd definitely bet it's the antibiotic. I'd call the vet and see if you can get something different or possibly get some sucralfate/pepcid to help her take the drug better. They might even give you some sucralfate with the new antibiotic to help calm her tummy. Some dogs are just really sensitive to certain antibiotics.

I've never seen Tramadol cause vomiting/nausea in dogs, not in mine and not in patients we treat.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby CinderDee » January 31st, 2011, 2:41 am

I think she was asking if the addition of tramadol somehow calmed her stomach and when it was taken away she started to throw up.

I take the same antibiotic and I have to make sure I have something in my stomach or I get very nauseated.
I hope she feels better soon!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby plebayo » January 31st, 2011, 2:54 am

CinderDee wrote:I think she was asking if the addition of tramadol somehow calmed her stomach and when it was taken away she started to throw up.

I take the same antibiotic and I have to make sure I have something in my stomach or I get very nauseated.
I hope she feels better soon!

Totally running off of adrenaline so I guess I only read the parts I wanted to read. :doh:

I'm not sure tramadol would have an effect on the guts that way but I suppose anything is possible? My thoughts would be that now that the antibiotic has been in her system for a while she could be starting to have issues with it? I don't think there's always an immediate antibiotic reaction in every case. :|
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 31st, 2011, 8:35 am

It took my Inara a few days on clindamycin to start yakking. When I called the vet they said it makes the dogs nauseous and to feed it after a meal (I was feeding right before a meal, but I guess it makes a difference!).
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » January 31st, 2011, 9:35 am

I didn't give her one last night, just to be safe...since she'd already ruined my bedding for the night. ;) I'm holding off on the dose this morning too...and I'll see the vet today, so I'll ask them then.

Thanks all!

The one thing I can think of, is that every other morning when she's gotten the antibiotic, they've gotten snacks/treats in the morning too...and yesterday, I had to run so they didn't get any extras for the morning. So it may have been the empty stomach. Her tummy gurgled all night though...she didn't have dinner, she had bland diet instead. I had to shoo her off the bed at one point when her tummy gurgles woke me up!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » January 31st, 2011, 10:05 am

Well...she just puked up the biscuit that I gave her this morning...no pills this morning, but a biscuit when everyone else got one. Two big brown pukes. We'll stick to this bland diet, and talk to the vet today.

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » January 31st, 2011, 5:09 pm

:( Keep us updated...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » January 31st, 2011, 8:09 pm

Talked to the vet, she suspects that it's a reaction to the clindamycin...that it's just built up and made her tummy upset. She said to not give her anymore...bland diet tonight...and if she keeps up with the puking to bring her in for a visit. ;) So far today, no puking since this morning. She seems to be feeling better now. *crossing fingers*

TheRedQueen

Postby CinderDee » February 1st, 2011, 1:10 am

I hope she continues to feel good. Sending "no puking thoughts."
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby plebayo » February 1st, 2011, 1:23 am

CinderDee wrote:I hope she continues to feel good. Sending "no puking thoughts."

x2!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » February 1st, 2011, 4:21 am

good thoughts. Too much puking all-around recently!
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenn » February 1st, 2011, 1:05 pm

HOping she's feeling better, and for no puking today!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby TheRedQueen » February 1st, 2011, 2:41 pm

Thanks everyone...she hasn't puked anymore since stopping the meds, and her wound sites are all looking good...yea!

TheRedQueen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 1st, 2011, 2:42 pm

Yay!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 1st, 2011, 2:43 pm

And I was telling my trainer about Vesta and she said she sees a LOT of Goldens these days with no bite inhibition.

pitbullmamaliz

Postby TheRedQueen » February 1st, 2011, 3:03 pm

yup...I find it all too common. Not so much with labs, but goldens. Score got nailed at dog camp by a golden...brown puppy was only 5 months old, and we had to go find nice goldens so he stopped being scared of them. :nono: Two outsider dogs have made mine bleed...and both were goldens.

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » February 1st, 2011, 5:14 pm

hooray for feeling better, Inara.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health