Random Health Questions.

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby FAB dogs » January 30th, 2011, 2:14 pm

I've noticed that Fenway gets the hiccups on an almost daily basis. They don't seem to last very long, but the frequency is a little concerning to me. I've never had a dog get the hiccups like this. Is this common for bully breeds? He gets fed twice a day but I'm wondering if maybe adding a third meal would help? Seems like I do hear his stomach gurgling more than the other dogs. Of course he's usually the one sitting on me so I'm more inclined to hear it.

He also has a tendency to have very soft stool. He's eating the same thing as the others (Eagle Pack Natural) but his poop is significantly softer and looser than theirs. He's been wormed three times in as many months so I'm thinking maybe it isn't worms and I'm wondering if it's connected to the hiccups in some way? Along with the poop eating I can't seem to break him of.

I had a sibe that had some gastric issues as a youngster and then bloated when he was 3 years old. I really can't afford another 2 grand for gastropexi surgery right now!

I've also never had a shorthaired dog before and I'm noticing some thin spots just at random on his coat; mostly on his legs and head. Nothing on his skin to indicate mange or anything like that. I've heard some bully breeds tend to have allergies, but I just figured they'd be seasonal allergies. It hasn't been above 35 degrees here in weeks and I only keep the house at around 65 degrees.

I'm scheduling him to go to the low cost spay/neuter clinic on Wednesday (weather permitting) and I'd really hate it if the stress causes all of his hair to fall out. :o If I have to, I'll take him to my own vet but until that tax return check comes in I'm living as cheaply as I possibly can!

Any tips out there from those who have seen any of these issues before?
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby BigDogBuford » January 30th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Poop eating will *definitely* help to contribute to soft stools.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » January 30th, 2011, 3:16 pm

I'll try my best here...

How old is your dog? IME, hiccups are more common in puppies.

Soft stool could be from a number of things, he could not do well on the food you have him on, plain and simple. Worming needs to be done at a certain frequency in order to first kill the adult worms and then get the eggs, I think depending on the worms sometimes, did you get the worming medicine and instructions for use from the vet?

From my experience, gastrointestinal issues are not related to Bloat and/or Torsion, most vets I worked with think Genetics ("lines" within the breed and the actual shape of the dog) is the strongest contributor; to be "safe" avoiding feeding and exercising together, and give an hr or so before and after. On the money note, there are many more things that could run you 1000s of dollars at the vet, so you might want to look into Pet Insurance, especially considering the athletic and inquisitive nature of the breed.

I believe mange can start with just hair loss and progress, so you may want to get that checked out. All Bull Breeds are allergy prone, and I'll go even farther and say it seems more common in short-haired Breeds in general. The patches could also be caused from allergies; there are food allergies, environmental allergies, seasonal allergies, and there is even an American Bulldog on the forum that is allergic to metal.

Stress shouldn't make his hair fall out, he may shed more, but thats about it...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby plebayo » January 30th, 2011, 6:44 pm

As far as the hiccups go, puppies get hiccups. He's still a very young dog so it'll happen. Seth, my dog, is 2yrs old and still gets them on occasion. It isn't a Pit Mix thing, it is a puppy thing.

Soft stool could be from a number of things, he could not do well on the food you have him on, plain and simple.

This. My dog Seth is super sensitive and can even get diarrhea if he gets too many treats. He doesn't really have a soft stool issue but is very sensitive to certain dog foods.

I had a sibe that had some gastric issues as a youngster and then bloated when he was 3 years old. I really can't afford another 2 grand for gastropexi surgery right now!

Just FYI bloat mostly occurs in deep chested breeds. Like Malli said bloat is the least of your money issues, he's still a puppy he could break a leg, later in life tear a knee ligament, dogs aren't cheap.

I've also never had a shorthaired dog before and I'm noticing some thin spots just at random on his coat; mostly on his legs and head. Nothing on his skin to indicate mange or anything like that. I've heard some bully breeds tend to have allergies, but I just figured they'd be seasonal allergies. It hasn't been above 35 degrees here in weeks and I only keep the house at around 65 degrees.

You keep talking bully breeds. YOUR DOG IS A MIX! Even if you find something online that is breed specific, your dog is not a purebred dog so it is not all law for him. Mange is not something you can see with the naked eye, usually it starts out as thinning spots in the hair and just gets worse from there. I suggest having his skin scraped to check for mites.

It sounds like overall a trip to the vet is in order :|
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby FAB dogs » January 30th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Yes I know he’s a mix. I’m not looking for specifics, I’m looking for generals. If he were a herding breed mix, I would be asking on a herding breed board about Ivermectin sensitivity. If he were a drop eared breed I’d be asking on a basset or cocker board about treatment for ear infection issues. And so on.

I’m glad to hear hiccups is probably a puppy thing. Until recently I haven’t had a puppy for over 10 years. I hadn’t noticed any hiccups with Brogan, who’s a few months older than Fenway, so it just seemed to jump out to me with him.

Has anybody had loose stool with their dogs (whatever the breed) and been able to pinpoint the food allergen (for lack of a better word)? My guys get a duck and oatmeal formula food. I’ve known of at least one dog (a beagle) that has a chicken allergy. I’m wondering if I should try a venison formula?

And does anybody have any suggestions for the poop eating (for any breed)? I’ve tried adding meat tenderizer to his food, which I’ve heard can help, but it hasn’t stopped him yet.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » January 31st, 2011, 12:42 am

There are products you could get that they eat, and then makes poop taste bad. Whatever you do, do not try to force him to stop, this well make the poop a resource :puke:
You might try offering a tasty treat for him ignoring it, or leaving it when you ask. But don't make it a "thing"! Trust me, I have a dog that will scarf things that he "might" like to eat off the ground, just in case, so I can't take it away from him :rolleyes2:

I'll repeat : "did you get the worming medicine and instructions for use from the vet?"

Both my own dog, and my Boss' new puppy at work have had the hiccups, it can be startling with a puppy because its kind of a whole body twitch!

Speaking as the owner of an allergy dog, allergies are as individual as the animal :wink: , unfortunately there isn't a "typical" allergy (even with food) :neutral:, at this age I'd look for simpler answers, its unusual for allergies to start quite this young, I think. If you do decide to switch his food, mix in the new food very gradually, and slowly change over (1-2 weeks)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health